• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McDuell

After having been on hiatus for quite a bit of time (severe RL issues ...), I recently started again with interchanges in SC4.

Here are a few of my newer creations; some might be practical, some not so much ...  ::)

Fully elevated interchange:

Completely diagonal T interchange

4-way spaghetti  $%Grinno$%:

Simple cloverstack:

And a slightly 'FAR-fetched' fully directional interchange.

M.

----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

Gugu3

WolfGuy100

Here's mine! I call it..."Badly Planned Interchange" because, well, sometime cities make bad plans with road construction, right? (And yes, I suck a bit with interchange...just a bit of a newbie here!)

compdude787

So I just finished my first interchange between two freeways. It's the first really complex interchange I've done with the RHW. I've had this game since 2005 but I'm new to RHW and the NAM, since I only recently discovered the SC4 community when I started playing this game back in March. If only I found out about this stuff sooner!

So this interchange is a clover-turbine interchange in the city of Mountain View, a suburb located to the north of Twin Forks, which is going to be one of the two big cities in my region. The freeway going north-south (top to bottom) is the I-35, which to the south takes you to the more urban city of Twin Forks, and to the north is a suburban area called Mountain View because it is at the foot of a mountain range, which the I-35 snakes through. The east-west freeway is the I-70; to the east, I plan to have it go to another city on the coast. It took me several days to work on it. I finished it a little while ago, or so I thought.

Then I realized that I didn't quite design it right. The problem with the interchange design was that the ramp from WB I-70 to SB I-35 (the one with the flexfly) was too sharp IMO for the amount of traffic that would be using it. That, along with the messed-up onslope transitions, made me re-do it. I figured that it wouldn't be that hard to re-do it so that the west-to-south ramp would be the one looping around the whole interchange, while the north-to-west ramp would have the flexFly. Turns out it was easier said than done... After spending another couple nights re-doing it, I finally was happy with it. I ended up re-doing it a bit more than planned just to make it easier on myself. So here's how it turned out: (I know, I still have to finish putting in all the lights, but you get the idea)

A few close-ups showing cars driving on this new interchange:

Also to the north on I-35 is a simple diamond interchange that provides access to the suburban area. Perhaps I should use a different soundwall, since it is painfully obvious that this one is overscaled.

Hope you enjoyed these photos!

PS: some of the soundwalls may seem unnecessary right now, but I plan to have housing developments all around these interchanges.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

odrzutowiec

I believe it's the most complicated interchange I've ever built. Guess that's what happens a month before final exams, SC4 1:0 studying. I'm almost done with exams right now so i found time to take a few screenshots.
Fully-smooth 5-way interchange. You can go whatever direction you want. (I really like these three clouds :D )

Zoom at the centre:

Zoom at the most tricky part:

I don't think I will ever use it, so no eye candy added. Considering whole interchange it fits in the biggest tile only, but without joining lines it would fit into the middle-sized tile. Monster

honalululand

Quote from: WolfGuy100 on May 12, 2014, 07:31:04 PM
Here's mine! I call it..."Badly Planned Interchange" because, well, sometime cities make bad plans with road construction, right? (And yes, I suck a bit with interchange...just a bit of a newbie here!)
Ooch. Yeah. I noticed the double level grade railroad crossing first, but...
If I might suggest an alternate design?
The route by the abandoned building--make it elevated at 7.5' (RHW L1) so it can go under the RHW4 in the opposite direction, and rather than a 270 degree turn, let it flow more smoothly into the road it exits onto. That should free up enough land to stop a lot of the awkward curving you have going on now, too. If that won't work, try making the RHW4 with the blue sign RHW4 L1 and keeping the MIS-L2 at L2.
Then if you can, move up the splits from RHW...10? So that you have room for a puzzle piece railroad underpass. Might even be able to skip the level crossings at the avenue, then.

Quote from: McDuell on May 12, 2014, 04:52:05 AM
After having been on hiatus for quite a bit of time (severe RL issues ...), I recently started again with interchanges in SC4.

Here are a few of my newer creations; some might be practical, some not so much ...  ::)

They may not all be practical, but they all look beautiful.

Durfsurn

Was just planning around and came up with this; might use it at some point: (I've fixed the RHW-2 in the bottom left)

MandelSoft

It has been a while since I played SimCity 4, but it seems that I've still got what it takes. Take note I still have to decorate these interchanges.

First off, a pretty peculiar parclo interchange...

Next up a "Haljackey"-style parclo type A4. I built this one two days ago.

This clover intechange is older, but I've added a bypass-ramp at the right.

And finally zoom in on the bypass split point:

That's it for today.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

compdude787

I like what you did with the "bypass ramp," but personally, I would have extended the collector-distributor lane all the way through the parclo interchange. That would give access to both directions of the ring road.

My YouTube Channel

APSMS

Maarten, is that a beta of eggman121's T21 signage mod for RHW that I see you using there, or is it something of your own creation?

I like the parclos, and while I'd really like those 270o loop ramps to be RHW based, I might just make the PS/MHWOr jump just to use them. Heaven knows they'd be ridiculously useful in tight spots.

Are all of these in areas designated for actual use, or are they just for kicks? (And is that some NORO work I see you doing there? ::))
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

compdude787

The interchanges Maarten made there are from NORO, so yes. It's great to see something happening in NORO after months of inactivity.

My YouTube Channel

eggman121

Quote from: APSMS on May 19, 2014, 09:17:49 PM
Maarten, is that a beta of eggman121's T21 signage mod for RHW that I see you using there, or is it something of your own creation?

Sure are! Although they are not ready for release yet. Still working on them with the limited time I have these days. I will try to release them when possible but there are some mods that they conflict with so a limited release for just the RHW may be possible but I will have to wait till I have some free time.

And congrats on becoming a NAM Associate! You are a welcome addition to the team.

-eggman121

MandelSoft

The interchange is not purely for the kicks. It will be surrounded by development when the area is done ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Bipin

Nice work Maarten. I like how sinuous and smooth the curves are, akin to a real-world situation; no sharp angles.

metarvo

One would never guess that you haven't played in a while, because you haven't lost your touch at all.  These interchanges are top-notch, Maarten.  :thumbsup:  My favorite is the A4 parclo, because it utilizes the seldom-seen FAD pieces.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

McDuell

Nice interchanges, especially from Maarten and odrzutowiec.  :thumbsup:

Today, I've something more simple for a change. Normally I go for more complex interchanges, but this one was also kind of a test where I tried something new.  ;)

M.
----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

compdude787

Quote from: McDuell on May 21, 2014, 02:18:16 PM
Nice interchanges, especially from Maarten and odrzutowiec.  :thumbsup:

Today, I've something more simple for a change. Normally I go for more complex interchanges, but this one was also kind of a test where I tried something new.  ;)
<pic>

M.

Whoa whoa whoa, is that just a creative use of diagonal filler pieces, or am I actually seeing a diagonal onslope transition?  :o

Either way, that's pretty cool!

My YouTube Channel

eggman121

McDuell Very nice  &apls.  I have a feeling that the DBE would have played a role in making the diagonal on-slope transitions in conjunction to the Filler pieces for the RHW. Is this true? gives me some ideas for experimentation of my own interchanges  &idea.

I will have to give that a try!

-eggman121

noahclem

Holy crap! I was trying to force myself out of a streak of not posting by showing an interchange I've been wanting to share for a bit: a real stack interchange with all smooth curves and slopes, no compromises and extra local connectivity made where possible. And diagonal because it turned out to be easier that way among other reasons.

Massive respect to McDuell,  Maarten, eggman, compdude787, and odrzutowiec. Durfsurn, don't be modest either :P

odrzutowiec

WOW. Enormous interchange. Is this from NORO ?