• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsrwhat316

Nice work with the FARR/FAR guys  :thumbsup:!

Here's my work on it:

One of the problems I have is that I like to plop lots as close as I can to the wide curves/FARR/FAR pieces. On some of the pieces, you can't plop directly up to the lot (see pic below):

Not sure if this is fixable, but I had a report to make  $%Grinno$% Still, amazing work developing the FARR/FAR, guys  :thumbsup: &apls!

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)

dedgren

I just hate it when that happens...

I see a lot of excellent WC/FAR/FARR pics so far from our beta testers.  I'll be back this evening to make a few comments.

Another gorgeous fall day...

in Montana.

Later.

David

139736 - we might hit 140K right around midnight my time - thank you!
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

metarvo

I haven't done anything too sophisticated with the FAR / FARR yet, but here's what I have done:

DrawPaths confirms that this connection is fully functional, even with the FARR curve and the railyard back-to-back.  If you're careful, you can connect the two, but if you're not, you may get a CTD. :'( I accidentally hovered the FARR curve over the BLaM MRyS piece, and this caused a CTD.  I have also personally experienced the problem with back-to-back small-90 curves that dtp observed.  Additionally, I noticed a peculiarity with the FARR x Road crossing, that is seen in this pic.  Both crossing gates are on one side of the road, going against conventional logic.  I think that this is more of a T21 issue, though.

I promise that I'm not being demanding when I say this, but I suggest that there should FAR x Road intersections.  After all, you did ask for suggestions on additional pieces, didn't you?  I'll be doing more testing throughout the week... ()testing()

SC4 is a FAR cry from what it used to be, and it has moved in a positive direction, if I do say so myself.  IMHO, Maxis (or EA) doesn't seem to make any more traditional SimCity games.  They must have realized that they can't compete with you, David. :thumbsup:

EDIT:  As a result of this experiment (and some helpful words), I have come to the conclusion that the FAR/FARR pieces carry the same risk of crashes as any previously existing puzzle piece when hovered over a transit-enabled lot.

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Streetlight 725

I tested some FARR pieces.Here are the pictures on oneven terron.
I noticed that the pieces do flat the terron.i have to Duble post because it only aloows only 4 pictures.

Bad news the file is to Large ()sad()

Of course, instead of attaching the pic files and using up the site's bandwidth, you can also just host the pics offsite on a site like ImageShack.  It's what many members here (including David and myself) use--don't need an account or anything, plus they appear full-size without having to download an attachment.  Hope that helps. :-) -Alex (Tarkus)

sithlrd98

I've only had a few minutes to mess with this but here is a shot...I'm getting used to the pieces..

Jayson

edit...in my hurry to post , I forgot to mention that I also am having the same problem as Dan...very odd!

nerdly_dood

I haven't gotten any CTDs ()testing() because most of my testing efforts have been concentrated on how the pieces look/work together in various combinations and rotations, what happens when they are bulldozed in various ways, and a little bit proving that they work in the first place (a train station in a R-$ zone next to a FARR piece, then a road crossing and then a train station in an I-D zone - worked fine), and also a little bit on seeing how much space is taken up on either side.

EDIT: My testing was done with NO slope mod - I uninstalled and older version of Ennedi's slope mod and haven't yet installed a newer version that affects RHW.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

un1

(I almost got a CTD to, luckily my computer somehow got over it.  ()stsfd())

I tested it out just now. The results I got were pretty nice.

Though, I put one on a little un-even of a slope and I wasn't able to build any sort of network around it for about 5 tiles.

Nice work though,
-un1

Tarkus

Quote from: metarvo on October 01, 2008, 02:53:58 PM
If you're careful, you can connect the two, but if you're not, you may get a CTD. :'( I accidentally hovered the FARR curve over the BLaM MRyS piece, and this caused a CTD. 

Is that lot by any chance transit-enabled?  If so, that's the issue there.

Thanks for all the test reports so far--they're quite helpful. :thumbsup: 

-Alex (Tarkus)

nerdly_dood

Yes, BLaM MRyS lots are TE'd.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

metarvo

I suspected it from the moment it happened.  Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Only 11 posts to the big one...
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

dragonshardz

Haven't really tested it yet as I am busy doing homework etc but will try to test it before friday at 8.

thundercrack83

Hey, David...

Congratulations! The time was 21:51 EDT, in case you were keeping track. I forgot to get it in the picture.

Dustin

ben_meissner

I, too, have done some work with the FAR(R).

Works great on slopes. (I have no slope mod installed.)

And trees go right up next to the road. edit Up close the trees don't fit perfectly, but at farther zooms, you can't tell.

Bulldozing causes some issues, however. When dozing a straight angle piece, the next piece breaks.  Dozing the double road here would result in the same thing in the next piece. When I would start dozing, I would have to go back to an ortho piece to stop the fracturing. edit The same thing happens with the rail version.

FARR pieces connected directly to each other leave a light texture (the maxis texture, I believe) at the junctions. I haven't seen this in anyone else's posts, so maybe its just me. I don't think I have any rail texture mod. edit As DTP noted below, the rail texture was a maxis problem. The FARR looks great with SFBT's rail texture mod.

I play on a mac, so these issues could be due to that (any other mac users out there?).

That's it for now, more later.

Ben

deathtopumpkins

ben_meissner, I think I might know the solution to your texture problem. If I recall correctly, rail puzzle-pieces use a darker texture that is not used in all zoom levels with just the game, prompting SFBT to release a mod that darkened the rail textures to match the puzzle-pieces and TE'd lots. It also adds wealth-dependent grass textures around the tracks, instead of just the dirt, but I think this might be optional. Look up the mod on the LEX and see if that might be your problem.
Those are some nice shots though!
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Ryan B.

Wow.  Great work, everyone!

ben_meissner

You know you've made a great contribution to the game when....

...you get your own category on the LEX.

One more image:

Zones grow on the FAR! (not sure why the middle set of three residential zones worked while the outside one did not.)
I zoned up to both 90° pieces, too, but forgot to snap a pic.

DTP- you were right, the rail connections look ok with the SFBT rail mod.

newsimaddict

dsrwhat316: that is some very nice mosaics! the farr looks very natural in the environment you have it in.

Some very beautiful work is being done here so congrats everyone for the work they're putting forward. if i had the patience, i would be singing out for a little far/r action, however you are all doing such great jobs! keep it up.

threestooges

-ben_meissner: The reason the 3rd lot didn't develop is due to the fact that that tile is not pathed. Though it's a part of the puzzle piece, it has no transit properties. Or at least that's how I understand it.

Tarkus

Quote from: threestooges on October 01, 2008, 09:56:10 PM
-ben_meissner: The reason the 3rd lot didn't develop is due to the fact that that tile is not pathed. Though it's a part of the puzzle piece, it has no transit properties. Or at least that's how I understand it.

Yes, that's correct--well, it has pedestrian pathing, but not car pathing, which means that Residential at the very least won't work (just like on PedMall tiles.  I am planning on adding an extra path that slightly diverges and just barely touches the currently "non-functional" tile.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Jmouse

I decided to start with something simple like a nice scenic coastal road with minor height variations. One area suggested a test I hadn't thought of before.

1A I wondered how far into the curve I could go with the Mayor-mode terraforming tools.

1B The terrain inside the lower curve was flat all the way to a sharp drop off into the ocean, but I managed to get pretty close and create a cliff that compliments the curve.

1C Unfortunately, I cut the upper curve a bit too close.

1D But it was easy to fix, and I was amazed at the amount of overlap allowed when replacing the piece.

1E The result

This batch seems to be much more user-friendly than an earlier edition of FAR I tried out. I did have trouble using the short 90-degree curve, though. I will try it out later on flat open ground and see if I can figure out what piece(s) it will connect to. Overall, the pieces are easy to work with after a reasonable amount of experimenting and the results look good.

Later...
Joan