• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Making Models for Transit Networks: Some General Specifications

Started by Tarkus, February 22, 2008, 05:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Lightning

You need to find the group that has the road surface (preferably, the road surface should have its own group) and then, using the Anim tab and the groups section, assign that group to texture 0. Then mess with the vertex tab and UV map tabs.

As for ebina's tutorial, I'm not familiar with it, so I'm not sure.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

mtg

Thanks for the fast reply blue,
You mean the road surface should have it's own group, like it should be a separated mesh in MAX?
that would mean back to the drawing board because i made it one big mesh!
ebina's tut can be found on this board btw

Blue Lightning

You could take it the quick way: model that surface in MAX, export it by itself. Then import it into its own s3d, then save decoded file... that s3d (right click the file and select that), then add that s3d into the main model.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

mtg

why don't I see textures? I have been pushing a lot of buttons trying to get the texture to show but no luck ()sad()
Here are some screenpics. am I missing something??

Victor01

Only one thing... the texture!

You have to use FiSHman and transform the texture from txt1.? (where ? is the image format and txt1 is the texture name) to txt1.fsh
Now, import the fsh texture into Reader, assign an IID and use that IID in the S3D file.

mtg

Thanks for the reply victor
I want to use this texture, from the RHW dat. is that possible or do I get problems with the IID? if so can I chance it and how do I do that? 

Korot

I see no reason why you can't use that ID, you'd only get TGI problems, when you have multiple textures with the same TGI.

Regards,
Korot

mtg

Ah, yes the TGI, you need to get that "I" from a NAM member don't you? or can i generate it my self for testing purposes?
BTW, Thanks for all the help you guys!   :thumbsup: I'm learning something everyday, and maybe next Christmas I get this ramp finished  ;D   

Korot

For testing and own personal use, the TGI doesn't really matter. However, the texture you use already has it's own TGI, and there is no need for two identical textures, with different TGI's. So just use this texture, with it's current TGI. As to the TGI of you ramp: You'll have to talk to a NAM member.

Regards,
Korot

Blue Lightning

Heres what you have to do: Find the FSHs referenced in the Mats tab in the S3D. Then, find those FSHs in RuralHighwayMod.dat. Once you find those, copy and paste them into your dat. Reindex, save, reload file. The model should show the textures. Once you finalize your model, delete the FSHs from your dat. The game is able to reference textures across dats.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

mtg

Don't have it quit right yet, but i will get there tomorrow! I think? Thanks allot!

mtg

I tried it but no success  :'(  when i preform the steps, i can't save  ()what()

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

mtg

mtg

Ok, I still don't get it right  :bomb: but maybe you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong,
This is what I did, I modelled a plane put on a UVW map exported it and opened the reader
there (1) I first opened the 3SD file I just modelled, and the RHW dat
From the RHW I took a S3D file that looked like what I'm trying to make and its FSHfile, I copy/pasted (2) them in to my file ( not the blank DAT, i'm not using it ) Then (3) I import my model, (4) rightclick reindex (5) save..

With this result

What am I doing wrong??

Jonathan

have you closed and reopened the dat file?
Edit: have you set the IID to the model in the mats tab?

Blue Lightning

You'll need to assign the texture in the mats tab. click on the texture that corrosponds with the model (check that in the groups part on the anim tab), rightclick in the grey area, change instance/name, change the instance to the IID of the FSH, apply, save, reload dat.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

mtg

should I chance it in this number?

Thanks for the fast reply guys! :thumbsup:

mtg

Blue Lightning

Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project