• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

flame1396's Eyecandy [Teaser: 07-02-08]

Started by flame1396, June 12, 2007, 09:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flame1396

MASSIVE UPDATE 50 Pics, next update teaser! --- The Good Stuff starts on Page 3!
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

flame1396

--- THIS is OLDER WORK, for CURRENT WORK visit PAGE 3 and beyond! ---

This is not my first foray into the world of CJing (yeah its called an MD here but I resist change  ;)). But this IS my first attempt at a CJ here, maybe it wont get lost in a sea of other journals like at ST which I find quite frustrating. I may sprinkle a little interactivity into the mix, possible with reader polls for what to do with certain areas but this wouldn't be implemented for a while.

Okay, I'll shut up now and break out the recycled pictures (these have been posted in a couple Show Us threads here before, but I'm working on some new stuff). BUT these aren't all old.

I like experimenting a lot and this first post here will touch on the experimenting I've done as of late.

I'll start with my oldest city (1300 years on the region, 750 in the main tile... yes as a matter of fact I have been told I'm dedicated.... also a loser  $%Grinno$%)

Oh yeah. I post picture descriptions at the BOTTOM of the pic, I'm telling you because it can be confusing sometimes.

So here's West Derry (read "Dairy"):

Region Shot (very slightly out of date, the suburbs filled in a tad and the Easternmost block of suburbs is now connected. This region grows at an agonizingly slow pace and is almost abandoned (I can avoid stagnation with medium tiles, larges are a pain  :bomb:) <-- I love that smily!

NOT out of date  :thumbsup:! This is the downtown of West Derry, I could count on one hand how many commercial growables (about 7! ???)

I suck at midrise and often ignore it  ::).... Brentwood (next round of pics, the recycled ones) will be a bigger city anyway, more midrise.

Random scenery. Trees aren't there anymore, looking for a controller I like - currently testing Olympic).

This was probably one of the first uses of the curves outside the NAM team. Literally done a half hour after it was released. (Tarkus was pleased to note that the curves show up as curves in region view, I doubted it, now we all know that the transit map follows paths  &idea)

Now we leave West Derry to Brentwood (one city in the brentwood region, none others developed on yet):

Downtown, all comm. is plopped. (If it isnt perfect, BOOM, thats why the West Derry downtown tile has 750 years passed when its not half done...)

The nuke isnt there anymore, replaced by some great little 1 tile solars (all face south, a little dab of realism  ;))

Rear View

I really love this shot.

Really proud of this, 2 hours of work. Some of that a complete redo.

The Brentwood Port:

That was harder to do than it looks....

Now here's some experimentation. It all works as meant to.

This is somewhat of an alpha version, I haven't quite got it yet. Ramps aren't evenly elevated. (the curves are connected to one-way roads, so only one lane of the curve would get usage, no backflow though)

Earlier try, shows how the better version works.

This is a early and pretty much final version of a smooth "highway" curve... Next NAM may help this out.

Overview.

The idea itself stemmed from my want for onramps that go over the highway and sat on dirt mounds and not pillars. (basically for a more rural look, I'm in the VERY prelim stages of a recreation of my town... I can't BAT so it doesnt help much, a couple necessary landmarks)

So I hope that's enough for you  :thumbsup: I'd think so.

And hope to see you back later!!! More of... well... something... don't know what.

What do you think?¿ <-- Heh, the ONLY hotkey special character I know.
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

HabLeUrG

wow thats really nice!!

welcome aboard and proud to be the first guest in your diarie  ;D  :thumbsup:

bat

Great start! Also wonderful 20 pictures! :thumbsup:

flame1396

A little teaser! Up-to-date West Derry Region shot.... Stagnation's soooo bad >:(

I plan an update either late today or tomorrow

Krio

I remember this from ST chat  :P Nice work flame, really American.

Ennedi

QuoteI really love this shot.

And you are right, it's really good shot.

QuoteThis is a early and pretty much final version of a smooth "highway" curve... Next NAM may help this out.

This is a good way  :thumbsup:

Good start, I'll wait for more  :)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

emilin

Very nice style of development. I like the spacing between the houses, and the transit sollutions very much. Looking forward to more. :thumbsup:

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

cityhawk

Nice harbor and island city and suburbs, grid aside! I look forward to more!
God is awesome!

TheSixCents

it looks really good! I like the harbor also! &apls

flame1396

Hello again! Been a while since I updated (got a bit bored and busy!)

So here I am with 15 more pics of West Derry!

But first and foremost, repliues for my valued readers' comments!....

HabLeUrG: Thank you! Keep watching, you may find some of your interchanges being used in the near future!  :thumbsup:

bat: Thanks! I too thought it would be good to start off with a massive post!

Bengt: Yup, I thought it was time to show off in a more permanent way! BTW, love your CJ/MD!  ;D

Ennedi: I've been working on a more refined version of that smooth highway curve... Not show-able yet though!  ::)

emilin: Well... It is awesome to see such a nice comment from the SC4D Mayor Diary god.

cityhawk: Thanks, no Brentwood (the island and harbor) in this update! Trying to finish the main part of Derry first. I think I do pretty well with the "forbidden" grid!  :P

The Six Cents: Thanks, that's really one of my first harbors. definitly the best. Thanks SOMY!

Now that that's done its time to get to the good part! Remember, captions at the bottom of pictures!

This is an overview of the Eastern suburbs of West Derry.

A retake of just about my favorite screenshot ever!

Here is a view of the West Derry Cemetery... Couldn't think of a better name! This took almost 2 hours to get just right!

I love that church! It makes a great centerpiece for the cemetery and is on the STEX!

Suburbs near the cemetery.

Here are some random suburb shots:

Now some Misc shots:

This is a nice shot... I like these types of pictures.

This is a traffic loop I had a lot of fun making.

Thanks for stopping by! Any comments are welcome, if negative please keep it civil and give a reason why (then I might consider it  ;))

Until next time!

TheTeaCat

Wonderful pictures  &apls &apls

The only thing is with a population of 100k+ where is the traffic?

Other than that it looks marvelous. :thumbsup: btw where did you get those walls in the last picture by the motorway?
I must admit I was a bit shocked to see my name there :D 
I've never been west before $%Grinno$% - I mean west of Ireland  $%Grinno$% but maybe some day

Derry
AKA

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Mulefisk

This is really good!
I especially like how all your transportration networks intertwine.
That last shot with the highway that loops around is excellent.

cityhawk

Yeah, I like that last shot too! I might have to make me one of those! Thanks for the idea!
God is awesome!

emilin

Cemetary is looking extremly good. And it's nice to those old sunken highway walls in use once more. They look much better than I remember them. A pity that they lack diagonals though. :thumbsup:

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Krio

Good work. I just realised that you used my NoName 3-bat in first update.

EDGE4194

flame- nice stuff  :thumbsup: i enjoyed studying each pic and discovered several ideas i hadn't thought of  :) Looking forward to more updates....

Pat

Flame this is most ummm wow is all i can say here and great work!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

flame1396

Thanks for the wonderful comments!

Working on a big update (read: airport and rural junk) so it might be a few more days.  ;D

Oh and as a bit of an FYI.... TTC mentioned that there isnt any traffic: its all game settings, I like detail but the cars lag like crazy so the easiest thing to do was to get rid of 'em.

Until next update!

PS: This is not a bump!  $%Grinno$%

oyd

nice stuff..... great work on the cemetry....
"Dear Prudence wont you come out and play..."