• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nexis Works

Started by mrbisonm, May 12, 2009, 11:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

Great job on the most recent models, particularly the most recent round-roofed one  &apls  From the angle of the RL picture you showed the roof you made on the most recent shed looks right but I suspect it might appear different from a different angle. For the style you seem to have tried to capture though it looks spot on  :thumbsup:

mrbisonm

Kinda right that the roof looks a litlle dull, but it actually has a texture, the same as the beige walls, metalsheet. But somehow in this picture and with this green it seemed to have disappeared, gonna check this out and try to see what it looks like ingame.
Yes Frank, there is the same model with another door in the back and also another one that hasa door wide open on the side that you can fill with your implements. (custom LOD's)
Like I said before, all models with their differences will be shown in our Co-op thread, once I am finished with this set, then I'll be off to silos and machinery last, also a few other sheds, for hay and straw.

Thanks guys for your ideas and comments on this.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

gn_leugim

Just an advice, don't pick up the textures and just use them right away in the BAT, you should work around in a image editing software, create a unique texture for the bat and use that one ;)

mrbisonm

Quote from: gn_leugim on December 18, 2012, 12:37:19 AM
Just an advice, don't pick up the textures and just use them right away in the BAT, you should work around in a image editing software, create a unique texture for the bat and use that one ;)

;) I know, I always use Gimp and/or Irfanview and sometimes Paintshop to work and /or modify my textures. Thanks.

Fred

Edit: BTW, the texture I used for the model are already improved textures that are in my texture folder, and like I said, there is a texture with this colour, but I don't know what exactly happened on this model that it doesn't show. Usually it looks good. I will fix it.
The one highlighted on the picture below is the texture I used, and it's not the first time.

gn_leugim

first, nice collection of roof texts ^^

but as far I get, you edit the textures as they are, and apply them to the models, with no further detailing on them right?

mrbisonm

Quote from: gn_leugim on December 20, 2012, 03:04:43 AM
first, nice collection of roof texts ^^

but as far I get, you edit the textures as they are, and apply them to the models, with no further detailing on them right?

Like I said, I use Gimp to darken , lighten and tortion, etc the textures, I don't know how to add details.... and what details do you exactly mean?

gn_leugim

for instance, this is a roof texture I made for some apartments I made.

this texture only do for that model, or maybe others if very similar, but that texture is made custom to that particular building.

jmyers2043

Hello from South Carolina, Fred! I don't use GIMP but I know it has brushes.

http://mygimptutorial.com/how-to-install-gimp-brushes

I use Paint Shop Pro. Version X5 has a photoshop brush import tool. I now use a lot of brushes when making textures. Some subtle. Some striking. This is one of my favorite grunge brushes.

Do an image search for Photoshop grunge brushes ... or Photoshop metal brush ... or rust brushes. I mean, I can add rust to a metal roof where I want and the color rust I want. I don't have to search the internet 'forever' finding the perfect texture. A brush is the easiest way to pizazz up a texture. How's the weather up in Canada? We got rain today and it was a bone chilling 50 degrees at noon when I went out for lunch.

- Jim
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

gn_leugim

I can save you some work

http://www.obsidiandawn.com/

one of the sites I use for brushes and so on

mrbisonm

Thanks Guys, I have brushes on my Gimp and Photoshop (I don't use Photoshop much), the only problem is now how to use them, but....I searched and found a few tutorials which could be useful.
When I looked for more brushes, I almost fell of my chair, seeing that there are hundreds to download....I mean ..What?? Which one's for what, why and how? I think I will start to get to know the ones that are in the original program first, right? ;)

You see, I don't want to spend weeks or even months to know how to perfectly modify textures. Why learn how to texture that detailed and then don't have the time to model anymore.....lol

Anyways, I will practice and see what I can come up with quickly. Thanks for the info, the comments. the links and the help, always much appreciated.

BTW, Jim....it's cold here, lotsa snow and looks like winter....or better, like christmas. ;)

Merry Christmas everyone.

Fred

gn_leugim

QuoteI almost fell of my chair, seeing that there are hundreds to download....I mean ..What?? Which one's for what, why and how? I think I will start to get to know the ones that are in the original program first, right? ;)

well... do a lot of experiments  "$Deal"$

Oh, and merry Christmas :)

mrbisonm

Quote from: gn_leugim on December 23, 2012, 02:22:05 PM
QuoteI almost fell of my chair, seeing that there are hundreds to download....I mean ..What?? Which one's for what, why and how? I think I will start to get to know the ones that are in the original program first, right? ;)

well... do a lot of experiments  "$Deal"$

Oh, and merry Christmas :)

I will, I will........lol

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Fred

mrbisonm

Well, it is time to ask for help again. I have this runtime Error, out of scripter mempory everytime I open my models in gmax.
Could someone please explain what this is and how to fix it? Please.

Thanks

Fred

vester

One thing to try, when ever you run into problems:
Open a new scene. Merge the old one into it.

Don't know if it will solve it, but worth a try.

mrbisonm

.....kinda difficult to do when you got more than 500 different projects going.....they all have the sam pop-up. And it doesn't exactly explain what's the cause of it......

Thanks, vester, I will try a few though, see what happens.

Fred

vester

Is it all models that you have this problem, or is it just the big ones ?

FrankU

Keeping my fingers crossed (although I do not believe that it works, it might be worth a try. I could be wrong) that this is not going to ruin the fun....   &mmm

vortext

Hi Fred, I googled the error and found this.

Quote3dsmax sets aside a set amount of memory for use in scripts, the import plugin you are using is one such script.

Load the Listener window (F11) type "heapsize" and push enter and it will show how much memory is being allocated for use in scripts.

To increase type "heapsize += 10000000" where 10000000 is the amount of bytes to increase by. You can't decrease, reloading 3dsmax will set the assigned memory to default. Don't increase the memory too much, I think default is about 20 meg, try increasing it by 10 meg at a time and importing the file. You could add the heapsize command to a startup script so you always have more memory for scripting purposes, but this leaves less memory for actually working in max.

So it seems to me it has to do with the file size. Hope it helps!
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

mrbisonm

Quote from: vester on March 26, 2014, 08:34:08 AM
Is it all models that you have this problem, or is it just the big ones ?

No, it's just the bigger ones....

FrankU,....lol...don't worry! ;)

Quote from: vortext on March 26, 2014, 09:01:37 AM
Hi Fred, I googled the error and found this.

Quote3dsmax sets aside a set amount of memory for use in scripts, the import plugin you are using is one such script.

Load the Listener window (F11) type "heapsize" and push enter and it will show how much memory is being allocated for use in scripts.

To increase type "heapsize += 10000000" where 10000000 is the amount of bytes to increase by. You can't decrease, reloading 3dsmax will set the assigned memory to default. Don't increase the memory too much, I think default is about 20 meg, try increasing it by 10 meg at a time and importing the file. You could add the heapsize command to a startup script so you always have more memory for scripting purposes, but this leaves less memory for actually working in max.

So it seems to me it has to do with the file size. Hope it helps!

Well, I guess that answered my question and also the one from vester. I checked the files and they are not thaaaaat big, I have way bigger files like a big 18x12 lot sized airplane manufacturer (like Boeing) that I am working on since fall last year, and that one is really big, it even sometimes jammed my screen, and it never showed the script error....? I just don't understand why smaller files do this though.

Anyways, it doesn't changed much, since it is NOT a problem at all. It does nothing to my modeling, nor the speed of my computer, it just made me wonder what the heck it was while loading many of my farmmodels all of sudden, when it didn't before. So....I'm continuing with "gmaxing".

Thanks everyone, I will soon be showing some progress here.... ;) Much appreciated having dropped in and helping.

Fred

A small preview...........

The official Logo of the MFP 1 sets.....

....and the details of some of the prop models found in these 5 sets. The new farm toys for SC4.

vester

Please export the stuff into smaller piece when possible.

Could see the use of conveyor with some of my bats.