• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Elevated to Underground transition

Started by gabrielbyrnei, December 04, 2009, 02:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabrielbyrnei

Could someone please upload a copy of the elevated to underground transition .dat ? Tried doing it myself on Ilive Reader but i get some weird Linux errors :P

gabrielbyrnei

Oh, and a little how-to using Ilive 0.93 wouldnt hurt either

Andreas

Which Elevated to Underground transition do you mean? The Maxis one? We can't upload that one, since it's buried in the in-game files.
Andreas

gabrielbyrnei

I was once able to edit in-game maxis water plants. Its something like extracting them from simcity dat's.

Anyway, if not possible, where could i get one? looked on simtropolis and LEX and couldnt find any

z

You can use the Reader's Patch facility to extract in-game exemplars from SimCity_1.dat and then modify them.  Basically, you select your exemplar, right-click on it, and select Add to Patch.  Then click the Patch button in the Reader, slect the entry you want, and click the Create Patch button.  This will give you your own .dat file to play with.

This and more information about the Reader is in the Reader Guide on the STEX, but ST has been having a lot of uptime problems lately...

gabrielbyrnei

Making things work under Linux can be a real pain sometimes.

gabriel@dhcppc1:~/.wine/drive_c/Archivos de programa/Ilives/Reader093> wine "Reader.exe"
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
fixme:ntdll:find_reg_tz_info Can't find matching timezone information in the registry for bias 240, std (d/m/y): 15/03/2009, dlt (d/m/y): 11/10/2009
X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  53 (X_CreatePixmap)
  Serial number of failed request:  2609476
  Current serial number in output stream:  2609485

Having a hard time trying to find that elevated to underground transition

RippleJet

Here's the building exemplar for the subway-to-elevated transition, extracted from SimCity_1.dat ;)

gabrielbyrnei

Mind telling me how do you locate examplar files under such a huge list? Thanks for your help

z

One easy way is to click on the Navigator button, which organizes everything for you.

dragonshardz

Wait...there's a guide for the Reader? When did this come into being?

z

The latest version (V3) is dated July 4, 2004.

gabrielbyrnei

I might have to look into it again, i used that navigation but couldnt find it. Under which tab was it located? Transport, roads rails etc?

RippleJet

Transport -> Buildings -> Ut64x16_LightRailSubway_0ADE

Then just right-click and Synchronise in order to bring up that exemplar in the main window,
from where you can copy it to e.g. a blank exemplar.

I often find it easier to locate buildings through the Analyser instead of the Navigator.
In the Analyser, first click Tree then Search...
Under Transport -> Buildings you'd now find the "Subway-to-Elevated Transition" with its proper name.

That name is taken from the corresponding LTEXT file in SimCityLocale.dat.
Thus, in case your game is installed with Spanish language, you'd see the ingame Spanish name instead.

In order to synchronise a file in Analyser, right-click and select Sync. with file ?

gabrielbyrnei

Wow you are absolutely right, i saw that exemplar but didnt thought of it as a transition. Just one las dumb question, how do you convert normal numbers into those strange 000x01 and other formats. Some properties use just plain numbers but other require some special kind. Above all, THANKS

dragonshardz

Reader will do that for you, but in Windows you can use the calculator to convert from hex (0xff, etc.) to decimal (1,2,3,etc.) if you really want to.

RippleJet

Quote from: dragonshardz on December 06, 2009, 08:29:49 PM
Reader will do that for you

8, 16 and 32 bits long values can be entered as either decimal numbers or hexadecimal numbers, but are always displayed as hexadecimal numbers.
64-bit values (Sint64) unfortunately have to be entered in hexadecimal format.

Quote from: dragonshardz on December 06, 2009, 08:29:49 PM
but in Windows you can use the calculator to convert from hex (0xff, etc.) to decimal (1,2,3,etc.) if you really want to.

Be sure to have your MS Calcuator in Advanced View.
Then press F5 to switch to hexadecimal representation, and F6 to switch back to decimal.

gabrielbyrnei

Oh thats great, just realized, i may install sc4, datpacker and reader on a windows xp notebook. Hope that these tools work on Wine in the future. Its ok that i modify exemplars and datpack simcity_1.dat on the notebook and then move them over on a notebook?

RippleJet

You shouldn't change anything within SimCity_1.dat.
Instead, you should copy the exemplars you'd like to edit,
and save them into an external dat file (like the one I attached above).

Placing that dat file in your plugins folder would cause it to load after SimCity_1.dat,
and would thus override the same exemplar located in there.

This also makes it very easy to remove a mod when you don't want it anymore.
Just remove the dat file, and the original file made by Maxis will be in use again.

gabrielbyrnei

I may have mixed two different topics. I meant i want to datpack simcity_1.dat along with cam beta test, as instructed.