• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkus' Non-Transit Stuff

Started by Tarkus, February 07, 2008, 04:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan B.

That's great, Alex!

Oh, and Alex & vester - what's that tip about lighting stuff up from within (backlighting)?  Backlit highway signs would be great to do.

Pat

Hey Alex looking real sweet there!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

SimFox

I think day time view is a huge improvement!
as for the night view, the poisonous yellow color of the light is just too much... desaturated it  A LOT. it should have just a hint of yellow there to neutralize night tint. Also that is a case ONLY if you render it in Max.
In GMAX (and as far as I see you are making it in GMAX) night rendering is done in an entirely different way and no such compensation is needed.

Tarkus

Sorry for the lack of updates here . . . had been pretty heavily entrenched in the transit end of things as of late.  At any rate, here's the most recent night shot of the Chevron.  I've changed the color on the lights to something a little bit more neutral.

Also, I am nearing completion on an improved version of the Wasco Terrain Mod.  I wasn't quite satisfied with how the lower elevations were looking . . . they seemed a bit bland, but I've fixed that now.

Here's a before shot . . .

And an after of the same spot . . .

And some more pics of the improved appearance.

Another low elevation pic:

And a higher elevation pic:

I have begun work on a "snowcapped" version of it (since it does snow quite a bit in the Eastern Oregon desert in the Winter) and making some Diagonal Jagged Edge adjustments.  Once that's complete, I can make an "official" release of the mod. ;)

-Alex

Pat

Alex WoW loving the Wasco Terrain Mod there!!! Also the Chevron is turned out pretty good too... BTW is that a new bridge that you made???

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

ldvger

Well, the red warning message kinda scares me off, but I am hoping some folks still check back and review this thread from time to time.

Tarkus, I downloaded and installed your Wasco mod and think it is quite well done.  I don't think it will work for my region, and it seems none of the other terrain mods I've tried satisfy me either, so I am thinking about venturing into trying to make my own terrain mod.  Problem is, I really haven't any clue how to get started in such a project and am hoping folks who DO know how will point me in the right direction.

Lora/LD

Tarkus

Lora, thanks for the kind words!   :)  To answer your question, the "magic bullet" for me when figuring out this terrain modding stuff was Thalassicus' old Terrain Tutorial File from 5 years ago over on the STEX.  It includes some instructions and a spreadsheet that you can input the terrain texture IDs into and it'll generate a listing you can then paste into the Terrain INI.  It's actually a pretty painless process . . . I was able to get a semi-usable result after about 2-3 hours of work, which I then tweaked further.

Hope that helps!

-Alex

ldvger

Tarkus-

I was able to download the spreadsheets but there were no instructions included that I could find on how to use them.  The link on the STEX that takes the user back to the original thread is broken.  I am ceratin these spreadsheets would help me a lot, if I understood how to use the information they contained, so any further help you could provide would be much appreciated!

Lora/LD