• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Alpha texturing tutorial

Started by Glenni, April 28, 2007, 10:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenni

We all can get quite high polygon ammounts when making nicely detailed fences and such,or  flora, flora models are nearly impossible  without alpha maps ,in GMAX.
So,here's a little tutorial i made for you:

First get yourself a bitmap and apply it to whatever model you want.
now when you have done that and if you are still in the material editor window, click "+Maps"

It should look like this.
When you have clicked on "+maps" you see that list which says "None" on all tabs,except one.

Click on the tab with "None" that has opacity written there to the left, check opacity aswell. Now you will need a alpha map,they are basically just black and white PNGs .you can either make one yourself or use the ones in the ZIP i attached to my post.The bits that are black is what will be hidden the bits that are white is what, that  will show. here's an example

And here's a comparison picture with a normal wall with the fence texture without alphas to the left,and to the right one with it.

That should pretty much be it.

Good luck with the alpha texturing! :thumbsup:

Get the tutorial textures here:

http://files.filefront.com/alphatutotextszip/;6447038;;/fileinfo.html

jeronij

Nice and brief tutorial. Thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:
Btw, dont you need to set the "2-sided" option as well?
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Glenni

Hm, i didn't have to when i did it &mmm

FromTheAshes

I knew this method from JRJs bridge tutorial. Works really good.
JRJ: Accepting 2-sided in this case would show the main texture on the white alpha-tiles and also show the black alpha-tiles without the main texture. Don't ask me why  $%Grinno$%
Visit Vorsfelde.