• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Quote from: Tarkus on October 20, 2008, 12:00:31 PM
As far as the Avenue/RHW-2, that's always functioned to my knowledge.  Did you mean Avenue/RHW-4?  In that case, that is not planned for Version 21.  jplumbley's been bugging me about it for awhile, too. ::)  The main issue is implementation, with the separable median and what not, and in the meanwhile, you can just do the Avenue workaround and get turn lanes.  I think eventually, there will probably be some sort of actual RHW-4/Avenue at-grade intersection . . . I myself would like to do that, to really be able to replicate Oregon 99W in Sherwood.

Everyone is watching my every move here.  ::)  It will, eventually be one of the surprises here, though there will probably be a few more before that time. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

Hey Alex I did some digging around I noticed you did get back to me when I was down and out lol... I did in fact mean the RHW 4 to AVE and thank you!!!! Yes welll come on its me Pat nothing well almost nothing gets pasted me lol....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Haljackey

Quote from: jmdude1 on November 01, 2008, 12:59:49 PM
just a question for haljackey or tarkus...or anybody who might know.  ive never used this mod before and i was wondering, should i install the current version now or should i just wait for the new version to be released? i know theres no set date for release. i noticed haljackey has mentioned that he has done a lot of highway reconstruction so i was trying to avoid having to do this twice
(ie. changing from sc4 highways to the current RHW version and then changing to the future RHW release).  are there enough changes between the 2 RHW versions to suggest that i wait or should i just get started now?
any recommendations would be great!

I would suggest downloading version 20 to get the hang of how things work.  Version 21 is essentially an expansion pack for Version 20, as it adds many more network widths, ramps and transitions, creating more possibilities.

Unlike going from version 13B (the previous version) to version 20 which weren't compatible with each other, version 21 is compatible with version 20. 
-I'd also suggest that you download it soon, because Alex (Tarkus) may be locking the file soon to prep for a new release.  I am sure he can tell you more about his plans regarding this, but yes I recommend you play with version 20 so that version 21 doesn't overwhelm you.

Best,
-Haljackey

A200

Ooooo version 20 is getting locked soon.... so we are getting close? A week away? A few days? A month? I am getting excited  &hlp

metarvo

That's great.  Now I know one of the "warning signs" to watch out for.  Thanks, Hal!  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

jmdude1

thanks for the advice haljackey, looks like you may have opened a can of worms on a future release. heheh.  i will get it now and see what kind of networks i can create. thanks again.

Tarkus

I can't say how long it will be, but it is close.  I need to do a bit of bugfixing before it's safe for public consumption, though, and I've needed a few days for a "breather" after working on it just about non-stop for awhile. 

And jmdude1, I'd concur with Hal here . . . in fact, if anyone has been interested in trying out the RHW, or is rebuilding their Plugins, I'd pick up Version 20 now;)  It will be locked in relatively short order, and once the version is locked, support will no longer be provided for it. 

The only issue anyone may run into upgrading to Version 21 is that the Version 20 alternate texture sets (Shadow Assassin's and deathtopumpkins') will not be fully compatible with the new version--largely because there's been a lot of new stuff added.  And additionally, as a result of the bugfixes that I did to fix the "texture artifacting" issue that plagued the MIS Ramp Interfaces when placed next to zones/buildings (including Highway Walls). It required changing the IIDs on the textures used on the existing ramps, so the new Version 21 textures will appear on all existing MIS Ramps in your cities regardless of whatever set you have installed.

-Alex (Tarkus)

kj3400

Sounds good, Tarkus. That must mean something.... ::)
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

deathtopumpkins

Speaking of alternate texture sets, I'm not planning on supporting mine with v.21, as I (not sure about videosean) don't plan on making new textures because I really like the v.21 ones, so I suggest that anyone using the DTP+VS textures, remove them when installing v.21 to avoid compatibility issues.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

jmdude1

thanks tarkus. ive downloaded the current version and am making a mess of a blank tile.  :) no better way to figure it all out i think. when v.21 comes out i will then implement it into my current cities and make a mess of them. hehe.  i can sense everyones anticipation increasing..... :thumbsup:

Haljackey

Quote from: Tarkus on November 01, 2008, 07:28:46 PM
The only issue anyone may run into upgrading to Version 21 is that the Version 20 alternate texture sets (Shadow Assassin's and deathtopumpkins') will not be fully compatible with the new version--largely because there's been a lot of new stuff added.

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 01, 2008, 07:57:14 PM
Speaking of alternate texture sets, I'm not planning on supporting mine with v.21, as I (not sure about videosean) don't plan on making new textures because I really like the v.21 ones, so I suggest that anyone using the DTP+VS textures, remove them when installing v.21 to avoid compatibility issues.

Well I can say that having these textures installed will not cause any issues with RHW 21, so you don't have to have to be desperate, frantically rummaging though your plugins folder for them.  However, they are indeed incompatible with RHW 21 (I still have SA's textures in my plugins) and will not re-texture the network simply because the IIDs are not the same.

As for my "warning signs" and the opening of a "can of worms", I will just say this: get version 20 now before its too late.  The NAM Team and its associates are testing RHW 21 time and time again, pointing out various bugs that need to be fixed before a public release.  We want to ensure that this version, unlike the last, is bug-free, or as bug-free as possible. 

Best,
-Haljackey

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Haljackey on November 01, 2008, 08:25:49 PM
Well I can say that having these textures installed will not cause any issues with RHW 21, so you don't have to have to be desperate, frantically rummaging though your plugins folder for them.  However, they are indeed incompatible with RHW 21 (I still have SA's textures in my plugins) and will not re-texture the network simply because the IIDs are not the same.

Not exactly what I meant. I know the textures will not cause any problems, but there is still no sense leaving them in there if they don't work, is there?

Haljackey

deathtopumpkins:  What I meant was that users don't need to freak out about removing them from their plugins.  (I have done this in the past. :P)  Sure they won't work, but they won't have issues with this release. 

sim-al2

I imagine not removing them will just waste memory and increase loading time by a few seconds.
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Haljackey on November 01, 2008, 08:33:59 PM
deathtopumpkins:  What I meant was that users don't need to freak out about removing them from their plugins.  (I have done this in the past. :P)  Sure they won't work, but they won't have issues with this release. 
True, I know what you mean. I should have rephrased my original post.

OK, it is not necessary to remove the dat from your Plugins folder, but the textures will not work with v.21 installed.

un1

I just want to clarify...

So V.21 will just overwrite the old V.20 ones or will the old ones just pollute your Plugin folder and highway menu?
(If they overite the old ones, then we don't have to delete them, if the don't then we can delete the RHW folder)

-un1

Tarkus

I'll try to answer this once and for all . . . :D

DTP's and SA's sets will not cause Version 21 to function improperly, but rather, Version 21 will cause them to function improperly.  It's nothing that will adversely affect the performance of the game. Texture modifications are purely aesthetic things and do not affect functionality.  They will not "pollute your Highways menu" or anything like that.  But if you want things to match up texturally, you'll need to remove the .dat file for the texture mod, wherever it is.  Installing Version 21 will automatically overwrite Version 20.  (The file names are the same.)

If you want Euro textures for Version 21, you'll have to wait for either Shadow Assassin to release a new version/update (not sure what his plans are), or for someone else to make a new set.  If anyone wants to "Eurofy" my default US Set and release it, they're perfectly free to and I'd encourage it.

Does that make a little bit more sense? ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

A200

woot something offical from Tarkus himself :D

I wonder how long 'a limited time' is?  :P

Tarkus

Quote from: A200 on November 01, 2008, 10:20:00 PM
woot something offical from Tarkus himself :D

I wonder how long 'a limited time' is?  :P

Not terribly long at all. ;)  There's no real set period of time after I lock it that the next version will get released, though. ;)  I've only done this once, so there's no real routine.  And if there were, I'd try to break it.

-Alex

nerdly_dood

I'm not entirely sure Shadow_Assassin is working on his Euro set now, and I'm somewhat sure little has been heard of him lately, so I'd be glad to first release some pointier US RHW merging textures, and later some Euro RHW textures that will likely be based on the lines on highways in Spain. (I might also add a different dashed line style for the US RHW textures in addition to pointier lines for merging traffic)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!