• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lrb

Simtropolis: lrb2_
Steam       : lrb2_

noahclem

Nice!  &apls

Are those tapered support columns I'm seeing?  :thumbsup:

Tarkus

Thanks, my friend! :)

Quote from: noahclem on January 31, 2012, 12:25:39 PM
Are those tapered support columns I'm seeing?  :thumbsup:

Yes.  Actually, they've always been tapered, but it's a lot more noticeable with an L4 ERHW.  The columns for the ERHW system were actually based off of those on this flyover at the Interstate 5/Oregon Highway 217 interchange in Tigard, Oregon.

(Both of these highways were also primary sources of reference when designing the V5-Spec RHW texture set.)

-Alex

ivo_su

Alex  thank you for sharing information and good photos  as an example. I think  that multi-level  highways is something  all of us waiting with great interest. Is it too difficult to change patterns of  the columns / pillars that support these high highways. Maybe if they have a cylindrical shape is better, but it may cost too much work on your part.

Tarkus

Quote from: ivo_su on January 31, 2012, 12:39:06 PM
Is it too difficult to change patterns of  the columns / pillars that support these high highways. Maybe if they have a cylindrical shape is better, but it may cost too much work on your part.

The models are T21s, however, so if a third-party was really inclined toward having cylindrical columns, they could do it with just a little elbow grease.  Being a minor cosmetic preference thing, it's not something we're going to tackle on an official basis as part of the RHW mod.

I've also changed the way the columns are implemented as part of the Project 0E specifications, such that it's basically a 30m (L4) column (technically, it's actually 29m--otherwise, it'd protrude through the understory and into the road itself), that gets height adjusted depending on the height of the ERHW, accomplished through some manual manipulation of the LotConfigInfo lines in the T21.  For the existing 15m (L2) ERHW, the bottom 15m of the column are just submerged below the terrain.

-Alex

noahclem

Glad to hear about the column height  :thumbsup:  For all foreseeable situations that should cover the aesthetics for my basic DBE-created bridges.

And those roads do look a bit familiar! Reminds me both of the RHW network in general and Tarkusian Cities--especially with the dirt and construction going on around that interchange ;)

Tarkus

The fun things you can do when you slosh out 5000 lines of RUL2 code in a night (RHW-4 code at over 39000 lines and growing):

That there is rock solid now, too.  Not that anyone really needs to build that particular setup.  I just went gonzo with it in testing because it was fun having all those levels stably interacting with one another. :D

-Alex

Korot

*cough* you missed DDRHW *cough*

Just kidding, that setup is quite insane. I'm really looking forward to having stable interchanges, that are easy to build too! Good job!

Regards,
Korot

MandelSoft

These RHWs are going up and down, over and under, left and right...  :-\

Great work!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

kj3400

Looks like we'll be having some fun when those are released. :P
Awesome work as always!
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

ivo_su

Wow Mother how many levels of highways and what interaction between them  - unseen.  Alex, I thank you for the lovely photo  and I express my condolences for the long slide rules that you must write. Now imagine what will be when RHW-6 have their multi-level  system.
I recently opened in a reader  RUL's document and found that there are several lines:  RUL0; RUL1;  RUL2 and RUL3
that all types are there and what is each one? I imagine that perhaps each of the 4 directions of rotation, but I think it's much more.

Ivo

noahclem

Perhaps not functional but certainly beautiful  ;)

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: ivo_su on February 01, 2012, 03:17:42 PM
I recently opened in a reader  RUL's document and found that there are several lines:  RUL0; RUL1;  RUL2 and RUL3
that all types are there and what is each one? I imagine that perhaps each of the 4 directions of rotation, but I think it's much more.

I have no idea what .DAT you were reading, but there are three RULs: 0, 1, and 2, nicknamed so for the last digit in their instance ID. There's no RUL3, but there are other RULs, such as the INRULs.

What you're looking at is all RUL2, and RUL2 is only concerned with overrides, which is what makes all override networks, as well as other things such as turn lanes and roundabouts, work.

Essentially, if one network tile of a specific IID is next to another network tile of another specific IID and they're in a specific rotation and mirroring, one or both will convert into a different network tile referencing a completely different IID for paths and textures altogether. It doesn't change what the original base network is; It just changes the looks, and the coding behind starters is so that any unconverted tile attached to a converted tile, such as RHW-4 with a piece of unconverted RHW-2, will convert over once clicked with its network tool.

You can imagine, and I can as well, how tricky having adjacent intersections like that would be; That would normally be a mess of RHW-2 intersections attached to a bunch of RHW-4's of wildly varying heights, so a lot of RUL2 code have need to be written so that everything doesn't collapse down into a mess of RHW-2 crossings.

Don't get me wrong; I'm impressed as well, but sometimes it takes more than seeing...
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

ivo_su

Thank you very much Ganaram you are polite and helpful  as always. I  ask for it to start to understand which file, what functions are performed  and hope to understand  how things work soon.  This last step is still not  clear to me is the work of the NAM team.

- Ivo

oczomajster

One question. How can I use these exits?

I cannot find any turns matching them.

Sorry for any mistakes! I'm writing with translator!

Korot

Those are the RHW-4 narrow exit-lane cosmetic pieces, right? They are supposed to be plopped on top of a RHW-6 D/E/F exit piece, and these will give you the MIS lane.

Regards,
Korot

MandelSoft

^^ Correction: They are placed upon the RHW-4 Type A1 and B1 ramps, preferably the draggable versions.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Kitsune

Quote from: mrtnrln on February 02, 2012, 01:48:24 AM
^^ Correction: They are placed upon the RHW-4 Type A1 and B1 ramps, preferably the draggable versions.

I tried last night... and its only the draggable ramps - the puzzle piece based won't work. It does work however with RHW6 ramps...
~ NAM Team Member