• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

girlfromverona

Quote from: burgsabre87 on February 12, 2009, 10:15:45 PM
All of this is a 40-minute drive from where I live ... I'm visibly (and internally) shaken.

Yes, it's very, very sad. I feel so bad for everyone involved. It is hard when something tragic happens close to you. I was living in London in 2005 when the terrorist bombers struck; the bus explosion was about a 10 minute walk from my house. It really shakes you up, as all the bad stuff on the news always seems to happen "somewhere else" and then suddenly it's close to home. You can't help but think of the what-ifs.  ()sad()

David, hope all is well in RL...

CCFC

()what()
I have got the pictures for the drawpaths for the "S" curve attached below here. Apparentely some strange line on the drawpaths is coming out from the >< making a strange line, so what does this mean?
()what()

:3 Proud to be a 3RR Regular and SimCity 4 Fanatic :3

j-dub

I'll tell you what it means. Simply put, the way this new network had to be developed, has to be pathed like that so the track can allow travel both ways. If you find something that doesn't have paths, that is when you have to be concerned. Enjoy your single track while you can, I can not due to how the new stuff seems not to get along with other stuff under development.

threestooges

j-dub's right. That is the visual representation of the path that the automata (the cars and such) follow. The X's aren't really X's though. The STR uses paths that follow the same line and go in opposite directions. The X's are actually arrows that show the path. They end at the end of each tile which is what makes them look like X's. You can see the arrows more clearly on the road in your first picture.

CaptCity

I think CCFC might be referring to that one spot where there seems to be an extra 'arrowhead' at the 'x'... Here's a closer shot...

It looks similar to the earlier pathing issue with the off shoots coming off the main path of one of the FAR pieces. I also noticed this on the diagonal 's'...

Don't know how either case is affecting game function at this time... Perhaps a quick test...

CaptCity

CCFC

Quote from: CaptCity on February 13, 2009, 09:04:51 PM
I think CCFC might be referring to that one spot where there seems to be an extra 'arrowhead' at the 'x'... Here's a closer shot...

[See the Real Post for Picture]

It looks similar to the earlier issue with the off shoots coming off the main path. I also noticed this on the diagonal 's'...

[See the Real Post for Picture]

Don't know if either case is supposed to be like that, but I thought I would put it out there...

CaptCity
That is what I am talking about, that seems strange. And my train gets stuck right at the end of it and doesn't go any further. The only trains that make it over it are the ones that are shown by the game itself. I think this is a major bug.

EDIT: Thanks for taking the closer shot of what I was talking about, CaptCity. I was trying to show a far away shot so that you can see how the pathing should be and how odd that one is. I guess some people got confused.

j-dub

I'm sorry. I couldn't test this because RUL controller/conflict, I would not have been able to know what was happening with this mod until that last picture, anyone that finds this stuff is a developmental hero. You are right, anytime a path does not connect, it is a major bug, especially if the simulator won't continue traffic flow. I don't know who made this S-curve though, but I would expect a patch fix not too far ahead, but not this week.

CCFC

Quote from: j-dub on February 13, 2009, 09:14:48 PM
I'm sorry. I couldn't test this because RUL controller/conflict, I would not have been able to know what was happening with this mod until that last picture, anyone that finds this stuff is a developmental hero. You are right, anytime a path does not connect, it is a major bug, especially if the simulator won't continue traffic flow. I don't know who made this S-curve though, but I would expect a patch fix not too far ahead, but not this week.
I know how to make a straight "S" curve to get around this bug for now, you have to drag the track in the direction you want by a tile and then drag forward. I will have a full post with pictures on how to do it tomorrow so that you all can get around the bug for the time being until a fix comes.

EDIT: Unless someone else beats me and posts how to do what I am talking about, and if I get around to it.. I plan between 11PM and 2PM if I'm lucky and life don't cut into my time, otherwise it won't be until 6PM to 9PM tomorrow.

CaptCity

Did a real quick test on the two 's' curves...

The orthogonal seems to exhibit that same off-shoot as the FAR piece previously discussed (the zero length path issue I think David called it). The train does stop in UDI as CCFC mentioned...

The small 'break' on the diagonal 's' curve doesn't seem to affect regular traffic commute or UDI (at least on my small test). Maybe it's 'close enough'...?

dragonshardz

Hello everyone! I am back! And I am very glad to hear that the NAM, FAR/R, RuRo, etc, etc is out! Wow!

dedgren

Heh!  I'm back too.

An extremely busy end of the week trying to settle a case on the eve of trial.  I still have some work to do today.

Ryan (burgsabre87), my heart goes out to everyone connected with the crash of Continental 3407.  Beyond the utter sadness of the situation, Heather and I fly way too much for that not to hit pretty close to home.  Thank you for posting your thoughts here- I know they were from the heart.

CCFC, welcome to the ranks of the 3RR Regulars*.

No, I can't make a 4x1 gridsquare DTR to STR transition. Sorry...

Will a 3x1 do?

On that note, I could kick myself.  I discovered a texturing technique in doing this wye that would greatly benefit all those other pieces I just retextured.  I'll start using it from this point on, and probably go back from time to time to clean some of the retextures I'm least satisfied with up.

I'll puzzle piece the wye later today.

Thank you, everyone, for pointing out issues with the STR.  Anyone who wants to join in as to solutions- there's plenty of room on the RAM Team for folks who would like to help out.

Later.

David

*  A 3RR Regular, as we all know, is anyone who has ever posted here or over at 3RR-ST at least once.

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

sithlrd98

Haven't you made enough pieces already!?!?!?! :D I think you are somewhere around 300 individual textures now....(over 120 for the FARR alone) I kid of course , everything you've done to kill the grid is very much appreciated!

Jayson

Ryan B.

David, Pat, and girlfromverona, thank you for your kind words.  24 hours after the crash, I arrived in Buffalo to spend the weekend with my girlfriend.  The mood around here is very subdued - there's never been an accident of this magnitude in this area.

Hockey fans like myself are very lucky because several members of the Buffalo Sabres (Teppo Nummminen, Jaroslav Spacek, Patrick Lalime, and coach Lindy Ruff) all live within two miles of the crash site.  The NHL gave Buffalo the option of postponing their game against San Jose last night, which Buffalo declined to do.

The Sabres ended up defeating the Sharks, 6-5.  A small diversion to get people's minds off the tragedy, but it seems to have worked.

We're gonna be all right, but I think I'm gonna hang onto this avatar for a while.

More road signs to come from me next week, hopefully.

CCFC

I will start calling you David now, dedgren. So here it goes:

Hey David, a 3x1 is okay. I just need something smaller to curve before the bridge. Will it be in the next beta? I also found out about the UDI bug for the STR "S" Curve due to I play with the UDI it a lot.

Let me tell you about myself a bit, I found this game in the first years ago in a store and forgot it. Months ago I picked it up and got tired of playing the Midtown Madness and Train Simulator games by Microsoft for the UDI of SimCity 4, but this is not the best thing. I could play the game if wanted without UDI, but it makes it 3 times better. I'm glad to be around to help test.

I have a question David, being a 3RR regular mean I can get into closed betas for the things made here at the 3RR? If not, what does it mean anyway? I am just curious since it's such a new term. Thanks for everything worked on so far, I also love that FAR/FARR that made it to the NAM. 3 words: Best. Network. Ever.

dedgren

"I have a question David, [does] being a 3RR regular mean I can get into closed betas for the things made here at the 3RR?"

No, my friend, actually it doesn't.

'Cos we don't really have any closed betas.  I just make stuff and post it, and hope that you folks can use it.  It takes the hard work of many others to roll it up into something that's really release ready.  That what all those great friends on the RAM and NAM Teams are for- they have the skills I lack in putting this stuff together.

Anyway, I'm headed for bed.  I'll path this and attach it, as one of those betas, to a post tomorrow.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

inspecter

Cool a better looking =- transition.

Sciurus

Very nice, but if you do this, the one track is on 2 squares? ()what()
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

sim-al2

()what() ???

What do you mean by that?

The single-rail occupies the center of a tile.

"I have a question David, [does] being a 3RR regular mean I can get into closed betas for the things made here at the 3RR?"

No, my friend, actually it doesn't.

'Cos we don't really have any closed betas.

Catch 22, eh? ;D
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

dedgren

So we pathed the wye we made yesterday.

Works just fine.

I fooled around with the new texturing technique I mentioned yesterday.

I probably will finish that tonight.

Later.

...oh, before I forget, there's a new STR beta that includes the wye DT to STR transition here [download linkie].  Please check out the readme...

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

inspecter

Link ain't working for me.