• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Macs: PowerPC or Intel

Started by Jonathan, May 18, 2009, 11:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callagrafx

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Jonathan

Didn't manage to get that item, so if anyone knows where to buy the OS at a fairly reasonable price (given that it is not the latest Mac OS) that will work on a G4 ibook?

I desperately need to upgrade it, maybe if anyone has a copy I'd willing to pay for it.

callagrafx

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Jonathan

Thanks,
I'll keep an eye on it :)

Btw, another question, still Apple related, my friends iPhone screen got smashed while in his pocket playing football. Would that be covered by the standard warranty, and is there consumer laws (?) that if it isn't could get him a new one without paying hundreds of pounds.

Jonathan

callagrafx

Depends on whether his contract has an insurance policy (I pay an extra £5 per month for this). If it's a PAYG, then it's doubtful he could get a replacement free of charge.  His best bet is to claim for it on house contents insurance, as long as it covers accidental damage outside of the house.  It certainly won't be covered by Apple's warranty, which only covers for item failures, as outlined in the Sale of Goods Act.

btw, I've found a 1GB PC2700 DDR chip that should work in your ibook, so I'll send it to the address you gave me  :thumbsup:

Andreas

"Retail" is the common term for hard- or software that you can buy as a box in a shop, so you should be able to install it on any Mac.
Andreas

Jonathan

I just realised my cousin has a Mac, which most likely has Leopard on it. If she has the disc, would I be able to install (upgrade)my mac laptop with it? Or would it be illegal?

WC_EEND

I think it would be possible (I did something similar with Windows XP) but I don't know about how legal it is
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

callagrafx

What Mac does she have? Any OS X shipped with a machine is locked to the machine range (as I mentioned before).....

Will post the RAM on Monday....Fitting on the Powerbook is a doddle.  Under the machine is a plate held on with 4 very small screws...under there is the RAM expansion slot.  :thumbsup:

Jonathan

She has some sort of desktop, I guess theres no way to unlock it and if there was it would be illegal?

I have an iBook G4, so did you just type it wrong? I'd hate to find you went to all the trouble of posting the RAM for the wrong machine :)

Jonathan

callagrafx

Is it white, not silver?  If so, watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-3406L3yL0

The RAM itself should be compatible, according to the Apple specs.  You will need to remove the 256MB chip in the expansion slot to give you a maximum of 1280MB.

Jonathan

Thanks for the vid, it is the same one as in the video. It seems quite simple.

I bought a Mac OS X Leopard, so hopefully I'll be able to use the Mac better this week.

Thanks very much for all your help!!

callagrafx

No worries...and despite the lack of an Intel chip and only being 1.2Ghz, you should enjoy using the Mac.  What will you be using it for, if you don't mind me asking?

Jonathan

Well 3 reasons, 1) I've always used Windows, so was just plain curious 2) half needed/wanted a laptop 3) and more than that wanted to take a look at iphone apps(I realise about the whole official only-on-Intel thing, but as I understand it you can use the SDK on a PowerPC)

But there are some differences(like maximising, isn't actually maximising. and that FireFox doesn't really maximise properly on some websites) that will take some getting used to (though after spending a whole day on the Mac and the going back to PC I keep pressing Ctrl+Left click instead of just right clicking :) )

callagrafx

Little hint... OS X will use a 3 button mouse in the same way as a PC does (left/right click plus scroll wheel) and they are dirt cheap these days :thumbsup:  And working with both is a bit of a pain with the keyboard shortcuts.

Jonathan

Thanks Lee, the RAM arrived today and I installed it, the machine is now much better, though I notice that once turning on and seeing how much RAM was installed, it says 1.25GB, even though the stick was 1GB?

Turning on was much faster as is loading programs! So thanks loads!!

Jonathan

callagrafx

There is 256MB RAM onboard....the slot is for expansion.  256MB plus the 1GB gives you the 1.2GB system RAM.  The good thing about Apple is that the GPU RAM is not part of the system allocation so apps have full access to the installed RAM..that and the fact that the OS is Unix based and not overly bloated.  It's a pity you couldn't stretch to an Intel machine, as Snow Leopard is something else....3GB less disk space and so much faster than previous OSes.

Welcome to the Brotherhood  :thumbsup:

Jonathan

Yep I wish I could of got an Intel machine, I was looking at them but they all went for ~£200 more than PowerPCs did.

Hopefully i'll enjoy being part of it!

Jonathan