• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune

Quote from: j-dub on September 14, 2011, 09:09:09 AM
Old US 66, where the original pavement is intact, is extremely narrow, 8.0 feet each lane, the white line touches the end of the pavement, no shoulder. Cars were bigger back then, and I could not imagine driving on it when semis had to use it constantly. So they later built RHW-4 out side the small towns, but even that is no more, the pavement is abandoned over growing with weeds, and its awkward knowing the money that was spent, the trouble they went thru to replace it with that nation wide, skipping the small towns with four lanes of highway, only again for most of that too, to later be no more. I never have seen a highway get de-converted from 4 lanes back to 2 like 66.

When I was down by this wind farm, I saw less of the pavement, and even more wild life growing thru the cracks.

The Trans-Canada highway in parts of Manitoba were like that... absolutely mind blowing considering how busy the highway was. They have since re-paved the lanes and the highway is now 4 lane divided from Manitoba to Banff Park.
~ NAM Team Member

j-dub

Well, at least they did not repave a highway like this:

They blocked the highway with these benches at this intersection, you can not see it, but growing thru the road is a tree next to the bench on the left, in the middle of the road. The rest of the road surrounding the tree was replaced with mulch.

Source: http://www.billburmaster.com/rmsandw/illinois/66/gartotow.html
There are also some more pictures of what happens to a rural highway, once its just a memory.

http://www.youtube.com/v/80nZHsmoX-g

cmdp123789

I'm sorry... maybe I wasnt clear enough, what I was trying to say with the 2.5 mts was about the lanes on avenues and roads... not about rhw, that's why at the end I also wrote nwm. On the other hand, it is true that in some other countries the width varies... but on the regular roads and avenues... it's pretty much the same. let's take for example avenues in New York, according to Google earth, the width of an avenue should be in most cases 1, which is equal to 16 mts. Now, according to the number of lanes that are supposed to fit in that 1 tile, well in most cases is 5, so basically Broadway should be 1 tile, but include 5 lanes... If I use the NWM to go for the 5 lanes... well I have to take 2 tiles...

Basically what I'm trying to say is, sohuld maxis tiles be more accurate about the lanes? there should be more than only 2 lanes on a single road... should fit at least 4 lanes on a regular road...

j-dub

Maxis made their tiles real small. The tiles are that small, even in terms of buildings like single family homes, if you want a three car garage, and a decent amount of yard around the house, you have to use 2 tiles. Three lanes took most the space of one tile on the road as it is. Four lanes is the cut off on single Maxis tile, due to the room it takes up. Otherwise, narrow TLA exists:

That car's mirror touches the lines! I admit because these narrow strips of road exists around me, IDK if I am a fan of that. It is so much easier for someone to go out of their lane, when the road does not have as much space, its also dangerous. A dog could not safely stick their head out the window. You notice how no one in this picture, is using the outer right lanes? (trucks are not designated for this TLA) RHW's however, are vital for freight trucks. (getting in a highspeed dogfight with semis in RL sucks!) Even though the NWM has its NMAVE, where 4 lanes are squeezed onto one tile wide, I have my doubts if the RHW will see a NMAVE like network.

toja

Quote from: cmdp123789 on September 14, 2011, 08:46:04 PM
Basically what I'm trying to say is, sohuld maxis tiles be more accurate about the lanes? there should be more than only 2 lanes on a single road... should fit at least 4 lanes on a regular road...

Actually I think you're right. The Maxis road lanes (36px / 4.5m) aren't scaled in a realistic manner. To give an example for comparison: According to the guidelines for the construction of highways the standard width for german highway lanes is 3.75m (3.5m for narrow city highways and inner lanes without truck traffic).

On the other hand we're bound to the tile size of 16m x 16m: realistic scaled road lanes (24px/ 3m) for example would also result in 5m wide sidewalks. So in the end we'll always have to find a compromise between realism, proportions and aesthetics - and as far as I'm concerned, I'm quite happy with the things we've achieved so far...

Wiimeiser

A question: will dragging a network along the shoulder tile of the RHW-6C have any adverse effects?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

arl85

Just a simple question: I noticed that RHW2 has pedestrian paths on its side. There is any special reason for that?

jdenm8

Because the paths were duplicated from the Road network.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

jondor

Quote from: Wiimeiser on September 15, 2011, 02:47:08 AM
A question: will dragging a network along the shoulder tile of the RHW-6C have any adverse effects?

The 6C doesn't overhang, so there are no issues there.  The 6S and 8C do overhang into the adjacent tile.  Dragging another network along the overhand results is a small visual glitch for ground networks, but otherwise no ill effects.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: jondor on September 15, 2011, 08:09:38 AM
The 6S and 8C do overhang into the adjacent tile.

The 8C no longer overhangs because of the v5 texture/path specifications.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

jondor

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 15, 2011, 10:14:31 AM
Quote from: jondor on September 15, 2011, 08:09:38 AM
The 6S and 8C do overhang into the adjacent tile.

The 8C no longer overhangs because of the v5 texture/path specifications.

That's what I get for posting right after I wake up.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Tarkus

It's here at long last!  RealHighway Version 5.0 has been released!

• New "V5-Spec" texture set, with improved scaling and aesthetics.
  • New networks--in addition to the Double-Decker RHW-4 (DDRHW-4), the RHW-3, Elevated RHW-2, Elevated RHW-6S and Elevated RHW-6C have been added.
  • FlexSPUI system, allowing for a flexible, overrideable Single-Point Urban Interchange system that can be elevated.
  • RHW Regional Transport View Mod by jondor added, allowing RHW networks to appear on the Regional Transport View.
  • Fractional Angle RHW (FARHW) system expanded to include FARHW-6C, and numerous new transitions and exit/entrance ramps.
  • Basic, stable draggable diagonal and curving functionality added to the RHW-6S, 6C, 8S, 8C and 10S.  New RHW-3, ERHW-2 and DDRHW-4 networks also support limited diagonal functionality. (ERHW-6S and ERHW-6C cannot yet curve
    or go diagonal.) Please Note: If you have built any RHW-6C diagonals with Version 4.0 or 4.1, you will need to rebuild them.
  • New, simpler ramp interface nomenclature system, coupled with a number of new ramps.
  • Draggable Ramp Interface (DRI) functionality added to RHW-6S and RHW-8C networks.
  • Additional functionality for FLEXFly.
  • Many new cosmetic pieces, allowing you to better control the look and realism factor on even more RHW networks.
  • DDRHW-4 plain bridge added.
  • Improved stability and pathing.

You can pick it up here:

RealHighway Version 5.0 for Windows

RealHighway Version 5.0 for MacOS

And you'll need NAM Version 30 (includes NAM Essentials r132):

NAM Version 30 with Essentials r132 for Windows

NAM Version 30 with Essentials r132 for MacOS

Enjoy!

-Alex

gn_leugim

Kergelen

Links to SC4 websites

ivo_su

Happy NAM day to All
I will then write  that now want to install

NAM baby

shanghai kid

Thank you so much to the wonderful NAM TEAM &hlp &apls &apls

I was thinking about the new release and then i checked the lex... nothing new, then checked download history and almost jumped out of my chair dancing... they had been updated with v.5 yay :D &apls
Shanghai kid from Norway
"The lurking devil"
(Bam Bam Bigelow & Eddie Guerrero R.I.P).

Original

joshua43214

I found an oops in the DDRHW
I tried dragging this from both ends and got the same result no matter what. Is this a LH bridge?

MandelSoft

Just try again. The model should look right turned 180 degrees...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Gugu3