• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Regarding Mac installers, daeley actually put together a Java-based package awhile ago that does run on Macs.  We just haven't deployed it yet.

Quote from: jdenm8 on October 15, 2011, 04:22:10 AM
(EDIT: By the way, dropping DAMN support will allow us to create 268,435,456 (Seven digits of entropy) puzzle pieces, completely using it will limit us to just 4,096 (three digits of entropy))

Actually, the entire HID range 0000-FFFF would be available, which encompasses a range of 65,535.

That said, DAMN isn't really a high priority at this point, mainly because of how much work would be involved--it's a lot to do from essentially scratch.

One of the things going monolithic will allow us to do is to get rid of the Road/RHW Interfaces, OWR/RHW Interfaces, Avenue/RHW Interfaces and Rail/RHW interfaces puzzle piece buttons.  Back in the days of RHW Version 1.2 (which used its own RUL files), the lone "over" piece, Road-over-RHW-4, was actually merged into the Road Puzzle Pieces button.  When the OWR-over, Avenue-over and Rail-over pieces were added in Version 1.3 (the first puzzle pieces I ever publicly released, actually), they were in the same boat.

We had to migrate it elsewhere with Version 2.0 because of file encapsulation.  It ended up in its current spot in RHW Version 3.0.  If we left it in Road Puzzle Pieces, and the user didn't have the RHW installed, they'd be getting ##IntersectionPlacementStringMissing## errors and we'd be getting a lot of tech support complaints.  Going monolithic will allow us to go back to the RHW 1.2 paradigm, getting rid of 4 menu buttons and making those pieces a bit easier to find.

There's also another "secret weapon" already in the thick of development that will change how ramp interfaces work and make them far simpler to navigate (right now, there's 50+ pieces in that TAB Loop, and with as many requests as we get for new ones, it'll be hitting 100+ quickly otherwise). 

Quote from: apeguy on October 15, 2011, 06:59:17 AM
I think that a monolithic NAM is a good idea, provided that you can choose which components and options you want when installing. I use all the NAM components except SAM, so I'd want to be able to deselect the SAM option.

You would be able to deselect it.  It'd be included in the installer with a checkbox just like the various roundabout and turn lane plugins, etc. 

-Alex

Kitsune

huh.... project 0E... that wasn't randomly selected was it? :)
~ NAM Team Member

Tarkus

Quote from: Kitsune on October 15, 2011, 12:37:49 PM
huh.... project 0E... that wasn't randomly selected was it? :)

It's most certainly not random. :)  It relates very directly to a technical aspect of what we're doing as part of the reworking of the RHW.

-Alex

jdenm8

Quote from: Tarkus on October 15, 2011, 10:26:47 AM
(EDIT: By the way, dropping DAMN support will allow us to create 268,435,456 (Seven digits of entropy) puzzle pieces, completely using it will limit us to just 4,096 (three digits of entropy))

Actually, the entire HID range 0000-FFFF would be available, which encompasses a range of 65,535.

And we'd lose the first digit of H3ID to Rotations so while we would be able to have 65,535 but 61,440 would be clogged up with rotations :P

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

jondor

Quote from: jdenm8 on October 15, 2011, 04:51:35 PM
Quote from: Tarkus on October 15, 2011, 10:26:47 AM

And we'd lose the first digit of H3ID to Rotations so while we would be able to have 65,535 but 61,440 would be clogged up with rotations :P

You're a little off there.  Only one item in any given line has to have a four-digit H3ID.  The rest can be 5+, which is the current system in use now that I converted everything over.  That does give us a theoretical 65536 individual piece rings, although some of the low IIDs are used for Maxis Highway pieces that get auto placed, such as crossing two El-highways.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

jdenm8

The 'total embrace' was intended to mean every rotation accessible through DAMN, which would limit us to four. But the existing system works.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

jondor

As far as I understand it, accessing even one rotation then allows you to Home/End your way through the rest.  That's how it was explained to me, but I've never used it, so I don't know for sure.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Nosimx

Hello,

first of all: I found RHW recently - and it is great. Thanks to all who contributed this huge amount of time and work to it.

My question: is there a transition piece to connect oneway to RHW4 directly? Can I avoid the capacity loss of a MIS transition or a RWH2 stub?

Nosimx

io_bg

Just drag a one-way into a RHW4 and you're done. There's no special transition piece for that.
Oh, and welcome to SC4 Devotion! :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

vinlabsc3k

Finally I've played SC4 after the hot season :-[, because my old notebook warm up :angrymore: and on OS X Lion the game don't start anymore. I've seen the new NAM, RHW and NWM. I love them, especially the automatic transition for NWW, but there's not one for RHW3>ARD-3, possible with a workaround ;).

For the menu question: I've seen a mod to make available the God's Tools in Mayor's one, so if it's possible to make sub-menus under the buttons it would very useful or if not, make every ramp group type in a separate buttons (ex. A type, B type and so on or A-B, C-D and E-F).
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

dyoungyn

I wish there was a transition piece from Maxis Highway (6 lanes) to RHW 6 Lanes or RHW 6C.  Also, wish there were diagonal 2 lane entrances and exits along with 2 lane Fly Over ramps.

DAB_City

Quote from: dyoungyn on October 17, 2011, 11:08:54 AM
I wish there was a transition piece from Maxis Highway (6 lanes) to RHW 6 Lanes or RHW 6C...

I've been (quite bluntly, I think!) demanding this transition, but I don't think that this is going to be made. Scaling issues, I hear? MHW is a lot more "compressed" than RHW, so I think it's a no-no, unless someone could release that as an external add-on. I really could use it!   :bomb:
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

io_bg

There have been a lot of requests for it, fortunately j_dub recently shared a picture showing that transition in one of his cities.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: DAB_City on October 17, 2011, 12:01:44 PM
I've been (quite bluntly, I think!) demanding this transition, but I don't think that this is going to be made.

Well, the two main issues are scaling and models: MHW is about 50% underscale, and its models are much more complicated to work with. RHW is meant to be realistically scaled, while having its models (where applicable) much more simple.

There have been, however, many past attempts to make a full-fledged piece... But there's already a (REALLY crude) workaround for that:

A fellow associate by the name of j-dub showed this very transition, and it was just now that I figured out how it was done.

1. Maxis highway.
2. Connect OWR stubs to one end.
3. Place the 6S starters right past the OWR stubs.
4. Connect using the RHW tool. The OWR stubs will then convert to a 6S to OWR-3 transition.

I can't remember if it actually worked for traffic (I never tested it for myself)...

EDIT: Functionality confirmed.

(NOTE: For the purposes of testing, I didn't bother with making a full-fledged interchange or a proper 6S to RHW-4 to AVE-4 transition.)
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

DAB_City

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on October 17, 2011, 12:32:02 PM
Quote from: DAB_City on October 17, 2011, 12:01:44 PM
I've been (quite bluntly, I think!) demanding this transition, but I don't think that this is going to be made.

Well, the two main issues are scaling and models: MHW is about 50% underscale, and its models are much more complicated to work with. RHW is meant to be realistically scaled, while having its models (where applicable) much more simple.

There have been, however, many past attempts to make a full-fledged piece... But there's already a (REALLY crude) workaround for that:

A fellow associate by the name of j-dub showed this very transition, and it was just now that I figured out how it was done.

1. Maxis highway.
2. Connect OWR stubs to one end.
3. Place the 6S starters right past the OWR stubs.
4. Connect using the RHW tool. The OWR stubs will then convert to a 6S to OWR-3 transition.

I can't remember if it actually worked for traffic (I never tested it for myself)...

EDIT: Functionality confirmed.

(NOTE: For the purposes of testing, I didn't bother with making a full-fledged interchange or a proper 6S to RHW-4 to AVE-4 transition.)

That's what I meant about scaling. I'll have to remember that trick, it'll be very useful  ;)
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

ivo_su

Actually,  I'm sure that there is a way that so consumed liaison to take place. Even I've started working on this project,  but my textures came out not so successful and it looked  a little help from Matt. Can now create paths for each tile and remains my only RUL's  coding. I hope Alex has agreed to add these puzzle pieces to the next releases.

Best,
- Ivo

DAB_City

Quote from: ivo_su on October 17, 2011, 12:50:05 PM
Actually,  I'm sure that there is a way that so consumed liaison to take place. Even I've started working on this project,  but my textures came out not so successful and it looked  a little help from Matt. Can now create paths for each tile and remains my only RUL's  coding. I hope Alex has agreed to add these puzzle pieces to the next releases.

Best,
- Ivo

That's actually AMAZINGly great! A definite must in the next version  :D

io_bg

These look fantastic, bravo! &apls Hoping they'll be included in the next NAM release (since it'll include NWM and RHW, too)!

Carny

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on October 17, 2011, 03:13:02 AM
Finally I've played SC4 after the hot season :-[, because my old notebook warm up :angrymore: and on OS X Lion the game don't start anymore. I've seen the new NAM, RHW and NWM. I love them, especially the automatic transition for NWW, but there's not one for RHW3>ARD-3, possible with a workaround ;).

For the menu question: I've seen a mod to make available the God's Tools in Mayor's one, so if it's possible to make sub-menus under the buttons it would very useful or if not, make every ramp group type in a separate buttons (ex. A type, B type and so on or A-B, C-D and E-F).

True, there is the very useful God-mode submenu mod. If possibile, it would be very useful a Nam submenu for some components. What the NAMers here think about its feasibility? :)

TEG24601

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on October 17, 2011, 03:13:02 AM

You need to download the Universal Binary update from Aspyr, and remove the RHW Bridge Controller, which crashes cities when loading in Lion.  So you won't be able to build RHW bridges, but most everything else functions in Lion.

TEG

UB Update - http://support.aspyr.com/index.php/kb/article/000612