• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdenm8

Woo! Can't wait to toy with the possibilities!

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

woodb3kmaster

Fantastic work, Alex! I'm curious as to how well the ever-growing RUL2 code supports diagonal over- and underpasses...

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Durfsurn

Quote from: Tarkus on May 24, 2012, 05:10:43 PM
Double-posting . . . ::)  But it's been more than 48 hours and I have new stuff to show . . . the latest installment of "Ultra-Stability: Not That Anyone Needs To Do That".
That's what you can do with 610,149 lines of RUL2 code.

-Alex
Well there's always when I get bored...  >:D

mike3775

These look great.  What levels are they if I may ask?

noahclem

Awesome work Alex  &apls &apls

Thanks for the tip on majhost too. Love it!

jdenm8

Quote from: mike3775 on May 25, 2012, 06:41:47 AM
These look great.  What levels are they if I may ask?

It looks like 15m (L2) ERHW-8S with ElRail in the centre passing over a 7.5m (L1) ERHW-8C.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

Thanks for all the kind words, guys!

Actually, the L1 bit is two RHW-8S networks directly adjacent to one another.  I was trying to test side-by-side RHW-8S stability with that.  I started getting into ultra-stabilizing the 10S stuff last night and rebuilding the DRIs . . . and my RUL2 build grew by another 5604 lines, up to 615,753. 

Quote from: woodb3kmaster on May 25, 2012, 02:07:13 AM
I'm curious as to how well the ever-growing RUL2 code supports diagonal over- and underpasses...

With non-RHW networks crossing RHW networks, it's a pretty simple matter--there's already some ultra-stabilization on that front with the MIS, and it'll be coming to other networks soon.  We've been considering ideas to ease the RHW-over-RHW OxD, DxO, DxD situations to get around the mess that those same network intersections make, and I'll most likely be undertaking some experiments before long. 

-Alex

RickD

Great progress, Alex. I am sure some guys from the show us you interchanges thread will find a use for those crossovers. ;)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

mike3775

Quote from: RickD on May 29, 2012, 03:38:25 AM
Great progress, Alex. I am sure some guys from the show us you interchanges thread will find a use for those crossovers. ;)

Its going to be interesting to see just what Haljackey can come up with for interchanges between various level highways for sure.   

Side by side elevated highways are going to be awesome to use for sure.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: mike3775 on May 29, 2012, 03:58:02 AM
Its going to be interesting to see just what Haljackey can come up with for interchanges between various level highways for sure.

Probably not until a few more alpha builds (no height transitions at the moment, and paths are a wreck), and hey, what about everyone else on the team? :P
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

mike3775

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on May 29, 2012, 09:26:45 AM
Quote from: mike3775 on May 29, 2012, 03:58:02 AM

Probably not until a few more alpha builds (no height transitions at the moment, and paths are a wreck), and hey, what about everyone else on the team? :P

Haljackey made most of the guide.  Sorry to offend  :)

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: mike3775 on May 29, 2012, 02:34:21 PM

I thought you meant teaser interchanges... :P
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Haljackey

lol.

By the way I'm always looking for help expanding the RHW Interchange guide. If you want to make a tutorial, send me a PM or post in the Interchange Submissions thread.

Once it's reviewed and approved, it will go the respective section.

Great work Alex! I really like seeing el-rail running in the median of that elevated highway for some reason. :P

mike3775

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on May 29, 2012, 02:40:43 PM
Quote from: mike3775 on May 29, 2012, 02:34:21 PM

I thought you meant teaser interchanges... :P

Oh no whoever makes those teaser interchanges with join haljackey as interchange god on this site  lol

Tarkus

Does anyone know what this means?  It's a subtle hint at the future of ramp interfaces . . .

-Alex

Bipin

Indiana Joe

:o ......  &apls

Such a simple idea (maybe not so simple to create), but so genius!

TJ1

FlexRamp.? And put an elevated piece at the end the ramp itself becomes elevated to similar to the FlexSpui.?

Tarkus

Quote from: TJ1 on June 04, 2012, 12:51:15 PM
FlexRamp.? And put an elevated piece at the end the ramp itself becomes elevated to similar to the FlexSpui.?

Precisely.  It works with the new height levels, too.

In essence, it's going to allow us to completely gut the ramp interfaces menu--rather than the 60 or so pieces now, or the hundreds that would eventually be required upon full build-out of the elevated network system, you'll be able to get away with just a handful of pieces that are overrideable, which will work for the entire RHW system.  There are a few "specialized" ramp interfaces that currently exist (e.g. the "Shift" interfaces) that, in all likelihood, won't get a FLEX treatment, but this new approach should cover most existing ramp interfaces.

They're kind of like DRIs, but they're placed like puzzle pieces instead (no layouts to remember), and due to how they use trick CheckTypes, they also tend to be much more slope tolerant, which has been one of the biggest criticisms of both the DRIs and the standard puzzle piece-based ramps.  It's part of a larger initiative to use WAVERide/FLEX techniques, to increase the flexibility of the mod while actually reducing the number of pieces that the user has to navigate.

-Alex

mike3775

Quote from: Tarkus on June 04, 2012, 01:11:06 PM
Quote from: TJ1 on June 04, 2012, 12:51:15 PM

Precisely.  It works with the new height levels, too.

In essence, it's going to allow us to completely gut the ramp interfaces menu--rather than the 60 or so pieces now, or the hundreds that would eventually be required upon full build-out of the elevated network system, you'll be able to get away with just a handful of pieces that are overrideable, which will work for the entire RHW system.  There are a few "specialized" ramp interfaces that currently exist (e.g. the "Shift" interfaces) that, in all likelihood, won't get a FLEX treatment, but this new approach should cover most existing ramp interfaces.

They're kind of like DRIs, but they're placed like puzzle pieces instead (no layouts to remember), and due to how they use trick CheckTypes, they also tend to be much more slope tolerant, which has been one of the biggest criticisms of both the DRIs and the standard puzzle piece-based ramps.  It's part of a larger initiative to use WAVERide/FLEX techniques, to increase the flexibility of the mod while actually reducing the number of pieces that the user has to navigate.

-Alex

So if I wanted an L3 height, I could plop that, and then a little farther away, use those 2  up 15 terrain risers(sorry I forget the name of them) then use an up 8 after raising it to get it to 23(which I assume would be L3 if L1 is 7.5 and L2 is 15) and then draw the MIS ramp it would auto go to that height?

(does that make sense?)