• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choco

there are a few extra El-rail bridges that were released on the LEX, but there are no additional GLR bridges at the moment, besides the one included with the NAM. 

i can confirm that some GLR bridges are in the works, though.   ;)

plunderer

The  diagonal elevated network over AVE. conner missing one piece

Swamper77

That's definitely a RUL problem. Now that I think about it, that would be a somewhat useful to have elevated networks overlap on corners or diagonals of other networks to save space in dense development areas.

-Jan
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

JonM

Hey,

I am wondering if it is possible to create custom 1x1 lots that you can place on the side of roads (like an extended sidewalk or parking) that will allow zones to dvelop without complaining about road connection? Kind of like custom ped mall tiles?

Thanks!

Swamper77

Quote from: JonM on June 10, 2009, 07:52:45 AM
Hey,

I am wondering if it is possible to create custom 1x1 lots that you can place on the side of roads (like an extended sidewalk or parking) that will allow zones to dvelop without complaining about road connection? Kind of like custom ped mall tiles?

Thanks!

This isn't really feasible except for Commercial areas. Industries will want a road connection for the freight trucks to leave the Lots. Residential Lots only display the "No Road Connection" zot in regards to the Ped Malls because they want car paths on the networks that are in front of them. Ped Malls only have pedestrian paths.

-Jan
Pagan and Proud!

z

Also, although Commercial areas will develop without complaint, the Sims won't be able to go to work there unless there's a road connection.

nerdly_dood

Could dummy car paths be added to the ped mall tiles like the various FAR curves and wide-radius turn pieces do? (I know that those have dummy paths to avoid annoying lags when plopping)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Blue Lightning

Quote from: z on June 10, 2009, 12:22:40 PM
Also, although Commercial areas will develop without complaint, the Sims won't be able to go to work there unless there's a road connection.

Well, actually, if you link the pedmall to a transit lot capable of ped in, ped out, and have that sit on/next to a road, sims can commute to the COM zones.

Vince
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

z

Have you actually tried this?  It sounds like it should work, but in my experience, it doesn't.  For example, commercial lots which entirely border RTMT stations never get workers, even though there are valid pedestrian paths to them.

Blue Lightning

Well, not like that. I simply mean this: (ASCII time)

R=road, ave, whatever S=station/transit lot .=blank P=pedmall C=commercial zone

R..ZZZZZ
RSPPPPPPZ
R..ZZZZZ

Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

deathtopumpkins

Basically just where a pedmall sits adjacent to a transit network, plop a TE'd lot, transit station, etc.. I actually tested this once on the pedmall-under-elevated heavy rail pieces, and sims most definitely commuted using them.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

j-dub

I thought I already have what JohnM is asking, because Heblem did some transit modding that way. I have plenty 1x1 parking lots placed down by the road tool, traffic excepts it according to the route query tool and some how traffic crosses over to the main road, even if the paths don't intersect, so long as the tile ends next to the main road, and these 1x1 parking tiles can still go next to each other, and if you hover the tool over the parking lot, it registers it as a road, or street, depending the speed you need, and UDI still works.

This concept only works if the parking lot tile is pathed as an intersection, so then its intersection, after intersection, and cars constantly turn in and out, kind of like the NWM, except not dragged.
Basically you envision Ped Mall tiles, except that the x over + is for vehicle traffic.  If this was done with multiple parking pieces, that would allow multiple texture options, like SAM. Of course these tiles make no sense in residential.  I actually had success with these in industrial areas, but you have to deal with the trucks turning in and out. But a reason this 1x1 plop-a-tile parking maybe won't be done is because SAM already offers a plain, no lined parking lot variation, and there's T21 options out there that provides park cars.

Bobbi

I'm writing a NAM tutorial for many Chinese players ::) (Some of them don't know what the NAM is and how to use it) and I'm writing a part of introducing the PED-Mall. Because I want to make them surprising ,I want to get a screenshot of a crowded PED-Mall as a title. But I have a problem:

There're only few people I can see ,not very crowded.

But there're many people walk on the PED-Mall. :'(

And the setting of "Nº of cars/sims" is high.

I use traffic simulatior zp high. Is it make this problem?

---Bobbi

2010.8.4 - I get on SC4D with PSP. So cool.:D
2010.8.14 - I can get on the Internet at home.:)

z

No, the traffic simulator has no control over the number of people displayed.  It's not clear to me what's causing your problem, though.

Are you using hardware or software mode in your graphics options?

dragonshardz

Actually, there would be a problem if the pedmalls were displaying pedestrians. When the pedmalls first came out, they displayed pedestrians walking along the pedmalls. however, after a few people noticed that having those pedestrians displayed slowed down the game a lot, the NAM team removed whatever it was that caused pedestrians to walk along the pedmalls.

I think it was an animated prop made by Maxis, one of the crowd props. Imagine hundreds of individually scripted animations moving about your city...yikes!

Blue Lightning

There are two things I can think of:

1: Its not rush hour. Try waiting for 6 AM or 6 PM. These are about the time that automata are most active.

2: Try using the Radical Automata NAM plugin.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Swamper77

Quote from: dragonshardz on June 16, 2009, 01:39:44 PM
Actually, there would be a problem if the pedmalls were displaying pedestrians. When the pedmalls first came out, they displayed pedestrians walking along the pedmalls. however, after a few people noticed that having those pedestrians displayed slowed down the game a lot, the NAM team removed whatever it was that caused pedestrians to walk along the pedmalls.

I think it was an animated prop made by Maxis, one of the crowd props. Imagine hundreds of individually scripted animations moving about your city...yikes!

It wasn't a prop. It was an Occupant Group that is normally assigned to landmark lots to make people stroll the sidewalks near them. The problem was, as stated, having entire Ped Malls full of thousands people, as each tile was producing the Sims. Even a handful of Ped Mall tiles caused a problem back then.

-Jan
Pagan and Proud!

Bobbi

Quote from: z on June 16, 2009, 01:07:09 PM
No, the traffic simulator has no control over the number of people displayed.  It's not clear to me what's causing your problem, though.

Are you using hardware or software mode in your graphics options?
@z
I'm using hardware mode.

Quote from: Blue Lightning on June 16, 2009, 02:18:57 PM
There are two things I can think of:

1: Its not rush hour. Try waiting for 6 AM or 6 PM. These are about the time that automata are most active.

2: Try using the Radical Automata NAM plugin.
@Blue Lightning
This is deluxe and the time is daytime. And I have used the Radical Automata and it was no change.

Quote from: dragonshardz on June 16, 2009, 01:39:44 PM

@dragonshardz
Is the lastest NAM display pedestrians less than the older??? ()what()

----------
This is a picture of NAM's readme files. I'm wondering how to do that.

---Bobbi

2010.8.4 - I get on SC4D with PSP. So cool.:D
2010.8.14 - I can get on the Internet at home.:)

Swamper77

Bobbi,

In order to recreate the number of Sims on the Ped Malls shown in that picture, the exemplars for the Ped Mall puzzle pieces would have to be modified to include the Occupant Group "Landmark Ogle" (0x1935). The NAM Team is unlikely to include that Occupant Group in the exemplars for the Ped Mall puzzle pieces again because of the lag it caused on slower computers. That is why that Occupant Group was removed in the first place.

-Jan
Pagan and Proud!

MandelSoft

I have downloaded the NAM June 2009 + Essentials and I installed them in my plugins folder. But my problem is (even though I removed every plugin from the NAM folder and re-installed the NAM two times) that I'm missing the new features, like the Avenue FLUPs. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT:
The Controller Marker says I'm using version r27 from June 17.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE