• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris857

Quote from: z on November 11, 2013, 05:10:32 PM
Reinstall the NAM, but decline the 4 GB patch if it is offered.  Also, in your root folder, if you have a boot.ini file with a recent date (i.e., when you first installed the new NAM) and a boot.ini.bak file, replace the boot.ini file with the boot.ini.bak file.

You were right about the boot.ini; it had a /3GB flag set and a recent timestamp, so I fixed that. However, after reinstalling NAM, I still seem to have a problem with a lack of music and sound effects (except for some mouse-click sounds) while in a city, but not at region level. I'm not positive (I think it came from my speakers) but I also had two bursts of fast stuttery sound in-city with NAM running tonight.

I re-uninstalled NAM, and the audio again works as I expect.

jdenm8

I'd say that only having 1GB of RAM is greatly contributing to your problems here. SC4 with the NAM installed frequently exceeds that, so you may be under the required specs for recent versions of the NAM.

NAM30 should work well for you, though it'll be missing a lot of functionality and it has bugs that have since been fixed.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Chris857

Well, I reinstalled NAM (traffic sim fix only) and it seems to be working now (music playing and all that). The only thing I remember doing differently is not trying a city in the Timbuktu region, but just trying in a blank new region. So, hopefully that fixes things.

Thanks for the help about the /3GB issue in boot.ini.

Wilfried

MandelSoft

Bug #1: Sure something weird is going on with the FAMHW, but I'm not sure whether this is just a display bug or a real pathing bug.
Bug #2: I think it's the TE crosswalk lot right next to the Symphony motorway that triggers this effect. Try to demolish it, wait a few in-game months for the traffic sim to adjust the routes and see if it helps.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

memo

Quote from: MandelSoft on November 16, 2013, 07:23:24 AM
Bug #1: Sure something weird is going on with the FAMHW, but I'm not sure whether this is just a display bug or a real pathing bug.

I suspect it's because of paths of this type:

-- car_3_0_a
-8,-8,0.75
-8,-8,0.75

The game has difficulties to determine a direction which results in the shown issue.

roadgeek

I apologize if this has already been mentioned. I tried to do a search (for Project 57) on this thread, and I think it jumped off to another thread. I recently noticed that when I try to use RHW starters, it does not give me the option of selecting an L3 or L4 starter.  ()what()
I also have issues whenever I use the two level transition from L2 to L4. It shows the transition properly, but when I drag from the end of the transition, it drops down to L2.  ??? Was this fixed in 31.2?

Indiana Joe

Quote from: roadgeek on November 18, 2013, 07:32:33 PM
I apologize if this has already been mentioned. I tried to do a search (for Project 57) on this thread, and I think it jumped off to another thread. I recently noticed that when I try to use RHW starters, it does not give me the option of selecting an L3 or L4 starter.  ()what()
I also have issues whenever I use the two level transition from L2 to L4. It shows the transition properly, but when I drag from the end of the transition, it drops down to L2.  ??? Was this fixed in 31.2?

In order to get L3 and L4 in 31.2, you have to do a custom install and select the extended RHW controller.  They were taken out of the default options, along with a few other things, because they slowed down the game a lot for some users.

Kuewr665

roadgeek

Quote from: Indiana Joe on November 18, 2013, 08:02:31 PM
Quote from: roadgeek on November 18, 2013, 07:32:33 PM

In order to get L3 and L4 in 31.2, you have to do a custom install and select the extended RHW controller.  They were taken out of the default options, along with a few other things, because they slowed down the game a lot for some users.

Well then I am going to have to see if I still have 31.1, since I have not been able to locate my manual, and 31.2 will not install until I do a complete re-install of my SimCity. Why couldn't they just put the code on the box instead of in the manual? I have no earthly idea where that thing is!

APSMS

Would it be possible to add L3 and L4 support for RHW-2? It seems like it'd be relatively easy to add (since it's a base network) and though it's use would be slightly less than the RHW-4 and 6S upper decks, it seems like it's still be useful. I can think of a number of applications that would be more suited here than an equivalent height bridge.

Of course, this question/request is partially because I just tried to draw one and realized that it wasn't converting because, of course, L4 RHW-2 doesn't exist. I haven't used a bridge because I have networks going underneath, in case anyone was wondering...

Anyone know of a workaround, perhaps, that they might be willing to share? (I could, of course, do a RHW-4 but it seems excessive for the purpose, and we don't yet have high level roads (will we ever?)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

roadgeek

Quote from: APSMS on November 22, 2013, 08:21:09 PM
Would it be possible to add L3 and L4 support for RHW-2? It seems like it'd be relatively easy to add (since it's a base network) and though it's use would be slightly less than the RHW-4 and 6S upper decks, it seems like it's still be useful. I can think of a number of applications that would be more suited here than an equivalent height bridge.

Of course, this question/request is partially because I just tried to draw one and realized that it wasn't converting because, of course, L4 RHW-2 doesn't exist. I haven't used a bridge because I have networks going underneath, in case anyone was wondering...

Anyone know of a workaround, perhaps, that they might be willing to share? (I could, of course, do a RHW-4 but it seems excessive for the purpose, and we don't yet have high level roads (will we ever?)

Well, it sounds like Indiana Joe is saying is that if you select the extended RHW controller, you would get that as well. I just wish there was a way that I could reinstall my SimCity without having to track down the manual to locate the code. I think the wife is ok with me going and purchasing a new copy of the game though, see as it is not all that expensive...not that she would leave me if I did, but I like to stay on her good side.

APSMS

Quote from: roadgeek on November 22, 2013, 08:59:55 PM
Well, it sounds like Indiana Joe is saying is that if you select the extended RHW controller, you would get that as well. I just wish there was a way that I could reinstall my SimCity without having to track down the manual to locate the code. I think the wife is ok with me going and purchasing a new copy of the game though, see as it is not all that expensive...not that she would leave me if I did, but I like to stay on her good side.

The thing is, I have the extended controller. My biggest loading times were due to my parks and landmarks menus, and the NAM was too essential for me to skimp on it.

But as far as I can tell there is no L4 RHW-2, even on the E-Controller, and I think I remember that RHW-2 was omitted from being mentioned in the documentation as having this functionality.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

z

Only the MIS, RHW-4, and RHW-6S networks are available at Levels 3 and 4.

Tarkus

And those L3 and L4 networks pretty much exist for the sole purpose of high, sweeping ramps for stack interchanges, which, in our research, never exceed 3 lanes, and by virtue of being in a fully access-controlled environment, carry traffic only in a single direction.

The original plan, way back in 2005, had been to eventually add 30m (modern L4) content to supplement the existing 15m (modern L2) elevated content, but only in limited situations with not much crosslinkage (especially as that was the pre-draggable era).  The High Monorail and High Elevated Rail Plugins, while not released until 2009, were actually built during that time and later unearthed when their creator (smoncrie) returned after a couple year hiatus.  The RHW was also originally planned to follow a similar scheme, with just two elevated levels, one at 15m and one at 30m.  However, the interest in realism, and research on that subject in the years to follow, led to outstanding support for having the second elevated level be placed at 7.5m (half height, modern L1) instead.  30m Road/OWR/AVE/Rail Viaducts were scratched from the list in favor of the lower height. The RHW plan was subsequently changed, to still have 30m (and add 22.5m), but just for ramp purposes, so users could construct 4 and 5-level interchanges, such as the Dallas High Five.

There haven't been any plans to extend the options for L3 and L4 networking beyond what's already there.

-Alex

eagle74

OK, I have not been able to find this info.  Is the NAM 31.2 compatible with Industry Doubler and/or Quadrupler?  Or are they going to cause stability issues?   

Swordmaster

There's no transit business in those mods, so I don't see why the NAM would cause issues with them.

Cheers
Willy

eagle74

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on November 23, 2013, 01:01:38 AM
And those L3 and L4 networks pretty much exist for the sole purpose of high, sweeping ramps for stack interchanges, which, in our research, never exceed 3 lanes, and by virtue of being in a fully access-controlled environment, carry traffic only in a single direction.

The original plan, way back in 2005, had been to eventually add 30m (modern L4) content to supplement the existing 15m (modern L2) elevated content, but only in limited situations with not much crosslinkage (especially as that was the pre-draggable era).  The High Monorail and High Elevated Rail Plugins, while not released until 2009, were actually built during that time and later unearthed when their creator (smoncrie) returned after a couple year hiatus.  The RHW was also originally planned to follow a similar scheme, with just two elevated levels, one at 15m and one at 30m.  However, the interest in realism, and research on that subject in the years to follow, led to outstanding support for having the second elevated level be placed at 7.5m (half height, modern L1) instead.  30m Road/OWR/AVE/Rail Viaducts were scratched from the list in favor of the lower height. The RHW plan was subsequently changed, to still have 30m (and add 22.5m), but just for ramp purposes, so users could construct 4 and 5-level interchanges, such as the Dallas High Five.

There haven't been any plans to extend the options for L3 and L4 networking beyond what's already there.

-Alex

Well the Dallas High Five is awesome, and I remember when it was being built, but unless we are able to build lanes of a L3 and L4 over NWM (transitioning from L1 or L2), similar to a double decker (although perhaps with lanes offset aligned), the NWM will have to be outside the stack lanes, which differs somewhat from how it looks on 635. We already know that there are issues with making a double decker with lanes moving in the same direction.