• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albus of Garaway

I did it! I finally switched to smooth curves, and I'm really glad I did!

Now, everything was working wonderfully, I until I finally got some freight rolling on the tracks. The train was running smoothly for the first few curves, but then out of nowhere, this happened:

Any suggestions? :)

EDITMy friend, that is a stumper.  I created a "train layout" quad of dual-rail trackage using all the wide curve, FARR and switch pieces and it ran for a full day (I too used the automata generator to create a couple of trains) without incident.  Can you please provide some more detail?- is that diagonal or ortho trackage?  Does the "train" stay like that after is happens or resume normal form anywhere else on the trackage?  Is the section you are showing flat or on a grade?

I'll cross post this in the NAM issues thread- I know all the brilliant problem solvers over there will be interested in this.  If anyone else experiences this issue, please report it- maybe there's a common denominator we can figure out.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Albus.

btw- your pics look great!
-DE

Lmac

@ Albus of Garaway: i noticed this as well. does it happen every time, or only on a few trains? i used a freight train generator, and saw that sometimes what you pointed out occurs, but not every time. as for a reason, i wouldn't have the foggiest idea  ()what()

~~Lach~~

EDITHi, Lach!  Please see my remarks in Albus's post.  Same questions to you- thanks for your input. -DE

sithlrd98

Quote from: dedgren on January 16, 2009, 10:32:26 PM
Heh!  I just really hate the grid.

Waiting on something tonight, I started to doodle...

David

Awesome....I really wish I could figure out some of your tricks! Looks like the magic of 3RR is gonna be strong this year too. Great job  &apls

Jayson

deathtopumpkins

Whoa... David, that's insane! You are officially a SC deity.  :o

That is definitely one of the best things I've ever seen in development for this game. I can see its uses already...
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Pat

you know what David all I got say here is Quantum Leap you know where Sam would always say "Oh Boy" well what else to say but lol..... Anywho I can't wait to see where you go with your doodle this time around!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

Wow, David! Just...Wow!

It looks like you're not stopping until everything in SC4 breaks the grid! And I can't think of a better task, nor better person for it than you!

Good luck, my friend!

Dustin

Albus of Garaway

Lmac: Before this, the only trains that had run on the tracks were UDI Freight and Passenger trains. This was the first "true" train to rumble along the tracks. I haven't seen any others do it so far.

TheTeaCat

Grid?
What grid?

There you go again David - pulling out all the stops :thumbsup:
Just how do you do it?

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Swamper77

Quote from: Albus of Garaway on January 17, 2009, 12:16:17 PM
Lmac: Before this, the only trains that had run on the tracks were UDI Freight and Passenger trains. This was the first "true" train to rumble along the tracks. I haven't seen any others do it so far.

This happens from time to time. You probably were rebuilding networks near the tracks that the train was running on. I've had this happen with trains and freight trucks when I've been working on networks near intersections of networks and such.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

bob56

Quote:
Heh!  I just really hate the grid.

Waiting on something tonight, I started to doodle...

David

Unquote: Great! another assault in the war against the grid!  :P
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

dedgren

We are officially entered completely uncharted territory...

I love the SAM.  It's given me the ability to use an unimproved road texture anywhere I want, in a way that has been completely integrated into the game.

The only problem is the curves- I wince every time I make one.

Looks like one of my bad knees.  That's today, though.

Here's tomorrow.

I'm not generally a skeptic, but I had no confidence that this would work- and it does!  The texture needs recoloring, and there's an artifact line at the ortho end, but it works.  It works!

Coming, well... imminently to a NAM update near you- additional Rural Roads content.  Pretty cool additional content, if I do say so myself.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

thundercrack83

I have nothing to say, David. My mouth is agape and words have failed me.

Genius is becoming commonplace here in 3RR!

This is just phenomenal!

Dustin

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

BigSlark

You've done it again, David.

Cheers,
Kevin

deathtopumpkins

The grid doesn't stand a chance now... look what you've done David! Now you've gone and broke it for good!  :D

Looking great!  &apls
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

girlfromverona

Quote from: dedgren on January 17, 2009, 09:23:53 PM
Pretty cool additional content, if I do say so myself.

We have a winner in the Understatement of the Year contest!  :D

But seriously, this looks awesome!!

owlsinger

Perfect! I love it!

()flower()

Kendra
'Luminous beings are we..'  - Yoda

'Hints of Gold'
by Jasmine Becket-Griffith

threestooges

Brilliant David. I may have a few questions for you since you are dabbling in the world of SAM. The new curve looks great, and I'm sure the uncharted territory won't stay that way for long (I've seen your maps, they're great).
-Matt

BarbyW

Hmm, it is time I made another post or David will be after me for lurking again.
What can I say except WOW? Another brilliant idea from the desk of the anti-grid merchants. All we need now is a way to grow buildings along curves without the horrible diagonal blobs.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Simpson

Wow  :o
Your work on the SAM is perfect my friend  &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas