• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rhenen, NN

Started by sebes, May 01, 2008, 01:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat

Welcome to page 2!

Nice to see you here with a MD!

And the start is wonderful! Also the pictures are looking great!

Looking forward to more...

paroch

I'll have to keep my eyes open for that book Sebes.  And more importantly, I'll be keeping my eyes open for the next update!  :D

Tarkus

Quote from: paroch on May 10, 2008, 04:38:30 PM
And more importantly, I'll be keeping my eyes open for the next update!  :D

Same here! :)  I'm also getting more curious about this alternate history you've set up here--it really sounds quite intriguing!

-Alex (Tarkus)

sebes

Replies:

Dustin/Thundercrack83: Thanks for finding Rhenen, NN, and for keeping the stats of all MD's. It's great to be mentioned in last weeks Top5, especially considering the impressive company there. Stay tuned to find out my imagination how North America would look like if the Dutch ruled the past 400 years in the New York/New Jersey area... 

Pat: thanks for checking in again. I have no doubt that you will be returning to Nieuw Nederland ;)

Bat: I am glad you like Rhenen, NN, and hope you will be returning here and enjoy future updates.

Paul/Paroch: Thanks for keeping your eyes open here. Hope the wait was not too long to cause this:

Alex/Tarkus: Wow - I am so glad you are here too. There wont be so much roadgeekery here as in the Tarkusian cities... but hope the alternative history will still keep you attrackted.

Update 2 : Rhenen-Westoever

As promised last time, this update will show more pictures taken in Rhenen, still showing the town center, on the Westbank of the Genesee River. In fact, the picures were taken at the same time as update 1, so it's still featuring some of Paroch's lots, but from a bit further distance.

2.1 Westoever  with Cuneratoren

With the construction of the Merengouw Brug in 1870 traffic could bypass the old town center. At the west bank the bridge ends at Meerplein, where N196(Meerlaan) heads north towards the Ontariomeer shore, and where N187(Westeinde) heads west towards Parochieplein, the western industrial areas of Rhenen, and ends in Buffelo, NN.

2.2 Westoever (Meerplein)

A century later, a statue was erected on Parochieplein in memory for the mayor that decided to build Merengouw Bridge, and preserved the old town for that reason. The statue got nicknamed St Paul van Westeinde)

2.3 Westoever (Statue of St Paul van Westeinde)

2.4 Westoever  (Parochieplein)

In the 20th century highways were constructed in the entire country. The nations major East-West highway, the Iroquis Snelweg (A50, I90) runs just 12km south of the town center. The A85, a triangle shaped expressway connects the city with the Iroquis Snelweg in two directions: the Zuid-Oost Tangent towards the South East, and the Zuid-West Tangent towards the South-West, passing by the airport. The city center is surrounded by a 6-lane elevated highway (A82-Stadsring) that enables traffic to get and out of the CBD.

2.5 Westoever with Zuid-Oost Tangent bridge (A85) and Knooppunt Rhenen Vallen

2.6 The next update will show more of the town center of Rhenen

And yes Paul, you indeed see a stadium there... be prepared ;)

Thanks for watching. Hope you like it...
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Tarkus

Quote from: sebes on May 16, 2008, 09:18:27 AM
Hope you like it...

That I do.   :)  Rhenen really does look like a nice town, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the town!  I also noticed you mentioned route numbers. :)

-Alex (Tarkus)

M4346

Quote from: sebes on May 01, 2008, 01:00:28 PMAlthough the official name of the country is "De Republiek van Nieuw Nederland", the country is mostly referred to as Dutch America. Dutch and Afrikaans speaking people mostly refer to Amerika, Amerikaans and Amerikanen if they talk about the country, the language that is spoken there, or the people that live there. The Dutch Americans call residents of the United States  Staters (or sometimes Statenaren) if they are not friendly, or Statenezen if they act like idiots (or elect one as presidentJ).

The flag of Nieuw Nederland is identical to the flag of the Dutch resistance in the 80-year war with Spain. The colours orange, white and blue reflect the Sovereignty, Neutrality and Prosperity of the Republic.

That is indeed true! We do refer to the USA and its inhabitants as Amerika and Amerikaners (respectively).

Also interesting, and perhaps a bit off topic and irrelevant to most people here, is that the "Prinsevlag" as we call it (the Prince's Flag) was incorporated into the South African National Flag (of the Apartheid state). In Afrikaner culture it is still seen as dear to Afrikaners and is a symbol of the culture's resistance (to God only knows what, but let's not go into that). However, nowadays it is increasingly associated with the Afrikaner Right.

Refer to this article about the South African flag -> Click!

And look at the image of the former South African flag (before we adopted the beautiful colourful one!), or as we call it (as do the Dutch theirs), the "oranje, blanje, blou" or (as I understand it) the "orange, white and blue). :)

Sorry to have hogged your MD Sebes, but I wanted to pop in as well and commend you for finally jumping into it and with such a bang! Yay! Good luck and all the best!

Regards,

Marius
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

paroch

Hey, nice update there Sebes.

And seeing as it's the end of a long week I do feel as though I could sleep on my PC!

The old city is looking great there and I love the way you describe the roads around it.  Westoever looks great with all of the traffic.  Of course the Parochplein and Van Westeinde made me smile  :)

The deep gorge river gives it an interesting look.

The overview of the quad is very interesting.  I will be particularly interested to see the district with the apartment blocks (by SFBT) in the north and OF COURSE, the stadium.  Is it the home of De Mets by any chance??

I look forward to finding out the answers to these questions!

Paul

Nardo69

Nice work, but when I see those gorges in combination with the dutch BATS (did I ever told you that I am a big fan of Vanderaap and Harlemmergold?) I just have to think of the song "In The Dutch Mountains" from The Nits.I haven't been in the Netherlands very much, and that steam engine museum is on my "To Visit" - List for years now but from the few times I have been there I remmebr it being flat ...

Take care (and don't forget to make backups)

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

BigSlark

Great start to your MD, I always enjoy those that feature "Alternative Histories," so to speak. Seeing Nieuw Nederland develop will be a treat.

Cheers,
Kevin

bat

Beautiful pictures there of your very nice city, sebes! And 2.2 is looking fantastic! Wonderful update! :thumbsup:
Looking forward to the third update... ;)

TheTeaCat

At last I'm here. Sorry about the delay and Its great to see what you are doing here my friend  &apls &apls

I've been waiting a while for you to start an MD and when you did I ,missed it &mmm
And a great one it is too. Nice amount of background info, and excellent use of Vanderaap and Harlemmergold's BAT's too

really looking forward to seeing where you take this:thumbsup:

next update I'll be straight on it :thumbsup:

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

FrankU

Nice work Sebes!
How did you manage to grow so many of the german apartmentblocks (cityview)?

Oranje, blanje, bleu!

thundercrack83

Westoever looks great, my friend! I love the neighborhoods, and of course your bridges and highways!

Keep up the good work, and I'll be back to see more!

Dustin

sebes

Unfortunately no real update today. The game does not open anymore, so it's now definately time to buy a new PC with more memory. But as I will be on vacation as of the end of this week, you will have to wait a couple of weeks before I can show more. I might come with a small update later this week that I prepared and promissed somebody to do... but if no in game pictures can be shown the update is not half as much fun.  ::)

But, I owe you, my loyal visitors, some of these:

Replies:

Alex/Tarkus: Indeed, no national roadnetwork without routenumbers !  I was crazy enough to download ALL (!) road numbers from NY-state and NJ-state, list them, and renumber them ALL. It took me days to do so, and to developpe a structure in it... I hope to post it in a nice Tarkus' worthy map one day in this MD for you

Marius/-M-: Baie dankie for your great comment my friend. I just knew you would comment on the Nieuw Nederland flag like you did. This - the Oranje/Blanje/Blue was the National Flag of the Dutch Republic at the time that the Dutch American and Cape Colonies were founded, so it's not really a coincidence that the South African flag resembled it for a long time until the rainbow flag was introduced. Also the official flags of the RL Cities of New York and Albany are based on the Princenvlag by the way:

NYC: and Albany:

Paul/Paroch: I am glad that the statue fo St Paul van Westeinde made you smile. That was my intention! And the least I could do in exchange for all your nice work.. De Mets homebase is on Manhattan, but Rhenen has a great football team too: Candia-Rhenen

Bernhard/Nardo: Oh yeah - In the Dutch Mountains..... You know I even listened to that song when building Rhenen?  Indeed, the motherland in Europe is flat- very flat - but this former colony in North America has quite some high mountains, gorges and ridges! Rumour goes that the Nits were actually thinking of the Adirondacks when writing that song  ;)

Kevin/BigSlark: Thanks for your nice comment. I am a big dreamer, and my motto, from childhood,  is probably "what if...". I hope you will continue to like my alternative history for the continent, so: stay tuned.

Bat: Thanks for popping by in Nieuw Nederland. Your comment is appreciated very much!

Derry/TTC: Better late than never! I'm glad that you like it, and will be even more glad if you return here and follow the developments of Dutch America.

FrankU:The SFBT flats are on a megalot, I believe 4x8. If you zone that it mid-density, they will grow. I was trying to get another lot, but as they all grew the same SFBT flats, I just made them historical... I loeve the area and will show some more picture of that when I have dressed the area a little bit more up...

Dustin/Thundercrack83 Thanks for being here and - I am always pleased if you decide to come back and see more...

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

thundercrack83

Unfortunately no real update today. The game does not open anymore, so it's now definately time to buy a new PC with more memory. But as I will be on vacation as of the end of this week, you will have to wait a couple of weeks before I can show more. I might come with a small update later this week that I prepared and promissed somebody to do... but if no in game pictures can be shown the update is not half as much fun.  Roll Eyes

Sorry to hear this news, my friend. Have a great time on your vacation, though, and good luck buying a new machine. I'll be waiting to see what you have for us next!

Dustin

Pat

Hey Sebes sorry to hear about the game not running at all.... Any news at all per chance?

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Bobbo

Sebes, you've got such wonderful tone in your story line.  Rhenen is definately a beautiful city, and I hope you'll be able to continue to enlighten us, we definately want more!  GIVE US MORE  :D WE DEMAND IT  &apls. You can see alot of European influences in our cities and towns here in the States.  If I'm not mistaken, there are Pennsylvania Dutch in Pennsylvania.

Anyway, I hope you get your new PC, and your vacation was relaxing & FUN!  :)

paroch

Hi Sebes,

Thanks for that link to the Rhenen team.  That is just the sort of small footie ground I'd like to re-create.

And of course with Nieuwe Nederland setting the Devo 08 tournament on fire I am sure football is more popular than ever in NN.

So, more importantly, when is the new PC going to be delivered?   You have an audience here waiting patiently for the New Nieuwe Nederland!

Paul

sebes

Let's continue today, shall we? I managed to get the game open again, and was able to make some new pictures. I also had some older pictures of area's of Rhenen that I did not upload yet. Today I will show a combination of pictures from the Eastern Part of Rhenen-Center. But first, some

Replies:

Dustin/Thundercrack83 No new PC yet - but hopefully by the end of this month funds will be present to make a nice order at Dell's...  Opening the game is no fun anymore. Even taking one pic takes 5 minutes - and I can even do the dishes while the PC is saving it  ()sad()

Bobbo/buddy I am sooo glad with your comment here... and hope that will make a zillion more. You demand more you say? Well, this small update is a start. Stay tuned for more... It seems that the Pennsylvania Dutch that are currently there are from 18th century German ancestry. However, the original term is indeed referring to settlers from the Dutch colony moving westward... The German and Dutch language are very close to each other. The germans call themselves Deutsch, what could cause a wrong translation by English speaking Pennsylvanians into Dutch, remembering those "similar" speaking people that once settled there too...  The Dutch language was still spoken in the New York and New Jersey area until the early 20th century, by descendants from the settlers (link) . Of course, in this MD, Dutch is the official language in the Republic of Nieuw Nederland...  and even widely spoken in neighbouring states as Virginië, Pennsylvanië en New England  ;)

Paul/ParochYou're welcome. It was a shock for the entire nation that the Nieuw Nederland team did not make into the Devo'08 semifinals, and did not get to play in Vanbaastenfield in Kingly either...  Well, hopefully in a future tournament we will have more luck. There are even voices that say that we should host the next tournament ourselves...  &idea

Enough said: pictures now

Update 3 : Rhenen-Oostoever

This update will show more pictures taken in Rhenen, still showing the town center, but now the Eastbank of the Genesee River. You will notice that some of the pictures were taken earlier (with only part of my plugins folder loaded), and that some are taken recently. Also in recent pictures you will notice gaps in the city center. There are two explanations for that...The official one: the city council has already torn down some old buildings to make place for new developments. However, economic tide in the region could be better, so grass is growing on the vacant lots... waiting for future developments. But, unofficially it seems that the mayor is too busy with other things, but had to update this week to avoid being discharged because of inactivity...  Well, we'll probably never hear the real reason behind it...

3.1 Cunerahof and Heereplein (seen from the West)

This is an older picture. At the bottom you can see the edge of the Genessee River Gorge, and the end of the covered Cunera Bridge. I had planned to build a church at the square, but did not had the one that I wanted in my plugins at the time. The avenue running from left to right is Heerestraat, the avenue running from bottom to top is Oosterstraat.

3.2 Heereplein (and start of the A85, South East Tangent)

The highway bridge at the right end of the picture is the South West Tangent, crossing the Genessee River. In the middle of the picture starts the A85, South East Tangent, that will connect to the A5 and Nieuw Amsterdam.

3.3 Heereplein from a different angle

The interchange that see at the bottom of the picture is Knooppunt Rhenen-Vallen (Rhenen-Falls Interchange)

3.4 Heereplein and Cunerakerk (seen from the East)

The church is plopped now...

3.5 Overview of the East Bank (zoomed out)

In the center of the picture the interchange Rhenen-Vallen, with the South West tangent to the top of the picture, the South East Tangent to the left, and the Inner City Loop (Binnenstads Ring) to the bottom.

The next pictures will show the central part of downtown Rhenen:

3.6 Hofplein

3.7 Oosterstraat/Kastanje Rijlaan

3.8 Cunerakerk and Oosterstraat

3.9 Breestraat and the Innercity Loop (A82)

This is a picture taken from the North towards the Center. You see the Innercity Loop (A82) at the bottom of the picture. The avenue is the Breestraat, the extention of Heerestraat.

3.10 Stationsbuurt and East part of downtown

The last picture today is taken a few weeks ago. The area has changed since then...(no unemployment either anymore). You can clearly see the Central Station and the Innercity Loop.

Okay - enough for today....  Hope you like this update again!

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

art128

I like your city  :thumbsup: it's very bieautiful and realistic  :thumbsup:
Looking forward to the next update!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog