• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Boston (recreation by Patriots_1228)

Started by Patriots1228, June 10, 2007, 03:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriots1228

Well, I finally cracked and decided to simultaniously show my CJ over at Devotion. Its pretty much the same thing, minus the first 2 updates, which ive deleted from the tile to restart, also its called an MD :P

In this thread I will attempt to recreate the ungriddy city of Boston,MA. Its gonna be tough, but luckily, i have some help. I run my own BAT team, NEBB, at ST. NEBB stands for New England Boston BATs. we currently have 7 members, but need more. if you are interested, pm me at ST. Also, Blahdy has his crazy big dig/zakim bridge project. so im pretty lucky.

Im using an accurate scaled down map of boston, i cheat alot, and use about a truckload of plugins. thats pretty much it lol

enjoy the trailer!
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w217/patriots_1228/bostonpreview.swf

edit:it takes a few seconds to load

callagrafx

Hi Patriots....like the preview and the irish inspired music.

Looking forward to this...I loved Boston when I was there, one of the few US cities with a character IMO.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Krio

I've been waiting this since you founded NEBB  :thumbsup:

I know that you are good city builder, so I expect that this will be good and hopefully this wont become another SUPERHYPERCJPROJECTWHATINTERNETHASEVERSEEN thingy  $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Patriots1228

If you guys want to see my earliest attempts at this, there are two updates on page 2(link below) where i tried to make the mass pike. it got out of scale so i obliverated, and have started from a different spot in the city.
there will most likely be an update tommorow or tuesday.

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=36&threadid=89409&enterthread=y

Patriots1228

Call-Thanks, the minute i heard that song i knew that it was perfect for a Boston themed project (mostly because its the song in the trailer for The Departed, which took place in Boston).

Krio-Thanks for commenting IN THE SUPERHUGEISTPROJECTEVERIST!  :P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i decided to start developing first instead of doing the mass pike. if i do the development first it will be easier to keep things in scale. Also, I chose a griddy part of the city, so i can get a good starting point. well the only griddy part of Boston is in the back bay, the part of the Back Bay that is between the Hancawk and Charles River. Heres some RL pics to give you an idea.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/1/19/Boston_Back_Bay.jpg
all the waterfront stuff, up to the skyscrapers.

The way im doing this, whenever a building that looks back bayish grows, ill make it historic. I plan to later develop some 3 deckers(the typical building type), that i will make grow/and plop, so i can get more accurate building types.
THE BUILDINGS THAT I HAVE IN MY SC4 PIC FOR THE MOST PART ARE TEMPORARY OR HAVE GROWN. LATER ON I WILL DELETE THEM AND PUT IN MORE ACCURATE BUILDINGS
o and i have noticed a few mistakes in the street layouts, so a bit of the street layout is inaccurate.

so heres what i have built so far, as you can see, the buildings aren't very accurate yet. The Avenue near the shore is Storrow Drive. The one in the middle is Commonwealth Avenue, which needs redoing because it looks more like Beacon Street(the Road at the front, which should not be oneways, but a normal street, once again, needs redoing)

at night. most of the buildings near Beacon Street will stay, exspecially NoFunks Urban Downtown buildings, which look very much like the buildings on Beacon Street in RL.

ahh those apartments are so off from the real thing. i really need to make those triple deckers lol.

Storrow Drive and Arlington Street. The Water Pump and wind mill are temporary so that things grow.

close up of my current Beacon Street. I really like the buildings i chose to line beacon street, probably the only near accurate buildings in this recreation so far.

wallah! please give me suggestions on how to make it more accurate(besides what ive told you)

Krio

Looks good, but not great. You should try show BIGGER areas in updates, take your time. You don't need to be copecopecopecope-fast, be patriot-fast and do it great and accurate Boston. Also try show a satelite pic from every area, so we could see how accurate you have been young grasshopper  ;)

But!

If we forget that you do not have waterfront..the layout and buildings are almost same as in that RL picture. The crappy low rise § maxis ruins this, but waiting more developement! And level the land! Too much bumbs.

ps. looks better than one Asian capital city  :D

bat

That's a great animation (trailer), Patriots1228! :thumbsup:
Great update and wonderful pictures! Nice city! :thumbsup:

Patriots1228

just thought id let you all no im BATTing out some triple deckers(those apartments you see in the RL Pics) so i can start replacing maxis buildings with more accurate boston buildings.

cityhawk

The area isn't spectacular RIGHT NOW, but I'm sure that with all the hard work you're going to invest in this MD, it'll start looking great in no time! Best of luck to you, and I look forward to viewing your hard work!
God is awesome!

thundercrack83

You have to start somewhere! Rome...or in this case, Boston wasn't built in a day! Your recreation of Beacon Street looks quite accurate according to the picture you posted above, and with time and grueling attention to detail, you should be able to give us a great Boston! And I'll be here watching and waiting to see the score of the Celtics games! Good luck, my friend.

Patriots1228

im having trouble getting my W2Ws into the game, so for the next couple days, we have to stick with crappy old maxis :)

Snaper

Great start, I like this trailer  $%Grinno$% Very well done  :thumbsup:

Good continuation  ;)

Owen Luby

Great start! Love the custom BATS!

()stsfd() wen
I want SC4 back!!

Pikatchoum

My sister worked in Harvard, and despite that i couldn't go there to visit the city so i can't wait to discover Boston a little more. Keep it up.  :)
Nice begining though.

Manny

Patriots1228

well, i suppose this is closed, since i have messed up countless times, and the regions all screwed up now. ill have a new md soon, ive been working on a new region this weekend.

thundercrack83

Sorry to hear you're closing this, my friend, but I'll be looking forward to seeing what you have planned for your new work!

beskhu3epnm

I was about to offer a potential "NHP Boston Area" map (16bit 1:1 and all).... PM me if you are interested in something like this!

beskh

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine