• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to open a .kmz file and to put downloaded buildings into your city?

Started by burgemeester, September 20, 2008, 02:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burgemeester

I just recently bought sim city 4 and downloaded some building from http://simcity.ea.com/exchange/lots/ but I can't open them on my computer and I don't know how to put the downloaded building into my cities. ()sad() Can someone help me?

BarbyW

Apart from the fact that files from the official exchange are often plagiarised and include many unauthorised dependencies in the download they are installed directly to your plugins from the site. I would suggest you find what you have downloaded in My Documents\SimCity 4\ plugins and delete them as there are many that can damage your game. If you havenot downloaded from anywhere else just delete everything in the plugins folder.
As far as I am aware a .kmz file is a GoogleEarth file and nothing to do with SC4 at all.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Shadow Assassin

.kmz is a Google Earth Saved Working Session file. Shouldn't have anything to do with SC4 - the only file formats that are used in SC4 are .dat, .sc4model, .sc4desc, .sc4lot. Anything else I missed?

As for direct downloads, do what Barby suggests: don't download from the official site. We've got everytihng you need for the game here anyway (link)... such as patches, etc.

So, essentially, there's no need to visit the official site - there's plenty of gems in places like Simtropolis and here, of course
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

JoeST

can you open the file in notepad and report what the first 4 leters are? ;)

just to confirm that its not SC4 related, tho I agree with the previous posters, just kinda interesting

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

burgemeester

I downloaded a building from BSC exchange (a .dat file) it is downloaded in My Documents\SimCity 4\ plugins but how can a place the building in the game?? :(

BarbyW

burgemeester

The JENX Antwerp cathedral and the Haarlemergold mega pack Dutch vol1

BarbyW

If you have installed the JENX Antwerp Cathedral you will find it in the Landmarks menu in game.
The Haarlemmergold MEG Pack Dutch Vol01 is a pack of models and props for you to use to make your own lots. They will not appear in game.

burgemeester

Quote from: BarbyW on September 24, 2008, 03:21:38 AM
If you have installed the JENX Antwerp Cathedral you will find it in the Landmarks menu in game.
The Haarlemmergold MEG Pack Dutch Vol01 is a pack of models and props for you to use to make your own lots. They will not appear in game.
Yes a found the Cathedral thx  :thumbsup: but the building is a box (proberbly because a need rush hour??). Will all the downloaded buildings apear in the landmarks menu or will a windmill apear in the menu for electricity?

About that pack: how can I open it and use it? and how can I transfer the result in the game. It's all new to me &ops

Diggis

OK, yes, you will need rush hour, or delux.  Did you read the readme and download all the dependencies?

And you will need to download the Lot Editor from the official site and then you can open it and add custom buildings and props.

BarbyW

If you do not have Rush Hour or SC4 Deluxe none of the custom lots on the LEX will appear. They do not work for the vanilla original SC4 only so you cannot use the prop pack either.
I recommend you buy either RH or, even better, SC4Deluxe as it is very cheap these days. You will enjoy the game much more.