• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ennedi plays Shosaloza

Started by Ennedi, August 25, 2007, 10:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

Double-post, eh? Hmmm...final warning!

Just kidding, Adam! Interesting stuff here, as per the usual. You're dealing with an issue that has baffled me for quite some time, and I can't wait to see how you handle thing!

Good luck, my friend!

Dustin

mightygoose

i think the last one, be the most dynamic in texture would be the most effective in this capacity, its a very clever idea, im just thinking what if you used some retaining wall texture....it may not work but it has to be worth a look,
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

FrankU

Adam,
Thanks for the PM, otherwise I would have overlooked this development completely.

My first impression, without having tested in game, is:

Nr 6: The color is good, but I think the texture is a bit too flat: as if the grass is mowed very carefully. But usually the grass on these slopes is higher, an also weeds are growing there.
Nr 7: The color is a bit blueish, no improvement.
Nr 8: The color is a bit brown. It's not what I have been thinking of, but it could be OK: a slope is often less wet, so the grass can be brown couloured. Especially in areas with a dry climate.
Nr 9: The texture is a bit cloudy. I guess it's not so useful.

My guess is that texture Nr 6 is the most appropriate one. I think a rougher texture would be nicer, but of course I shall test these four first. And my guess is that ChrisAdams' weeds and grasses can be of enourmous help.

Anyway: great work, and thanks a lot.

I'll report a.s.a.p. (which will take a week or so)

FrankU

bat

Wonderful work there on your fantastic stuff, Adam!! :thumbsup:

Ennedi

Quote from: JoeST on March 23, 2009, 12:36:03 PM
That is an awesome idea Adam, fantastic looking too
Joe

Thank you Joe! :thumbsup:

Quote from: thundercrack83 on March 23, 2009, 04:02:51 PM
Double-post, eh? Hmmm...final warning!

Just kidding, Adam! Interesting stuff here, as per the usual. You're dealing with an issue that has baffled me for quite some time, and I can't wait to see how you handle thing!

Good luck, my friend!

Dustin

Hello Dustin, very nice to see you after so long break  :) I know you have a lot of work in your own MD now, you are making many intersting things there! :thumbsup:

Quote from: mightygoose on March 24, 2009, 03:04:37 AM
i think the last one, be the most dynamic in texture would be the most effective in this capacity, its a very clever idea, im just thinking what if you used some retaining wall texture....it may not work but it has to be worth a look,

Both your thoughts are very close to my feelings  :thumbsup: Yes, I will make a "dynamic" texture (but it must work equally good in all directions, especially on diagonal slopes), I will also play with something similar to retaining wall  :)

Quote from: FrankU on March 24, 2009, 08:28:48 AM
Adam,
Thanks for the PM, otherwise I would have overlooked this development completely.

My first impression, without having tested in game, is:

Nr 6: The color is good, but I think the texture is a bit too flat: as if the grass is mowed very carefully. But usually the grass on these slopes is higher, an also weeds are growing there.
Nr 7: The color is a bit blueish, no improvement.
Nr 8: The color is a bit brown. It's not what I have been thinking of, but it could be OK: a slope is often less wet, so the grass can be brown couloured. Especially in areas with a dry climate.
Nr 9: The texture is a bit cloudy. I guess it's not so useful.

My guess is that texture Nr 6 is the most appropriate one. I think a rougher texture would be nicer, but of course I shall test these four first. And my guess is that ChrisAdams' weeds and grasses can be of enourmous help.

Anyway: great work, and thanks a lot.

I'll report a.s.a.p. (which will take a week or so)

FrankU

Thank you very much for your analyse! So you agree with mightygoose that the rougher texture will be better, but it can't be too contrasting (and because of it - I guess - you like No 6). I will also make experiments with concrete and gravel - both are different from grassy ones, but can look good in specific situations.
I will try to make the final version as soon as possible, you have waiting too long yet  :)

Quote from: bat on March 24, 2009, 08:55:12 AM
Wonderful work there on your fantastic stuff, Adam!! :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot bat!  :)

Thank you for the feedback, now I know better what should i do with this special rock mod. I would like to prepare the final version at weekend.
In the meantime the seaport grows. Some new faccilities were built, the industrial development in Vera is really fast now. But it's not all, there is also a new top secret area here - the Navy base.
I haven't enough time to prepare bigger update, so here are a few teasers  ;D

This pier was dedicated to create an ultra-modern business and cultural centre. Most buildings were designed by the famous Chinese Architect - dmscopio  :thumbsup:
You can also see the progress in the industrial seaport in the background, the new shipyard works day and night

Tax free shops area

I made also some changes in the CBD. The Taipei Art Museum was replaced by the Admiralty Center

That's all, see you soon
Adam

New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

mightygoose

those night shots are superb, i can never find a flaw with your work, so depressing....

art128

Great military seaport supplies there Adam, We can see that La Spezia has very inspired your work my friend. Your night shots are always incredible and exceptional. Also, there's a colossal researches work for the port design and for your lots.

Outstanding port in one word..

Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

FrankU

Ennedi,

Don't feel pressed to make the final version of your grassy rock mod. I can wait. I have pictures, but no time to show them now. I can give you a report on saturday, then I have plenty of time. Sorry, busy RL.

Ok, I did find some time.

I use the Meadowshire terrain mod together with Teirusu's limitless beach mod. It gives me lush undergrounds for parks etc and it gives me a nice worn out sandy/muddy look in my seaport areas.

This is a picture of a rail curve going down from the elevated rail dike (??) to the lowest part: the seaport. Without your mod, of course.

And the second part of the curve.

Usually I cover these up with walls for a nicer look. The walls are by NOB.

and

You can see that the rock texture spills over and under the diagonal walls. Also you see a very messy result. It's not my cup of tea.

Now the same spots with your texture mod Nr 6.

and

Nice result, but the texture is a bit flat, and the colours are a bit bleak in combination with the Meadowshire terrain.
Now I used Chrisadams' ploppable flora. It looks like this.

It blends quite well, but it is a lot of work to paint all my embankments!

Texture Nr 7

and with Chrisadams fantastic props:

Also a quite nice blend, but without the extensive spraying of weeds and trees the texture looks a bit blueish.

Also, on the sharp edges around the sunken highway, you see that there is some muddy greyish texture (the beach texture, I guess), between the lush green meadows and your slope texture. It would be nice if that could be changed.

Texture nr. 8

Next to the orthogonal edges of the sunken gas station you see the textures blend quite good. On the diagonals we can see the beach texture clearly. Also the texture itself can be seen quite well: nice for a bit dried out countryside in summer, but no real blend with Meadowshire.

Texture Nr 9 is a bit cloudy and greyish.

Now I deleted some seawall lots form my port. And what do I find? Grassy Ennedi textures!

Is that a problem? Maybe to some, but I think not too much for me, because usually I plop my seaport edges with seawalls and docks.

I think it would be nice to have a texture that is a bit darker than the normal grass texture. It also should not be too flat. A more lively texture that looks like weeds and shrubs on the slopes.

And now a question: Where did you find the gorgeous dry dock, the one with the navy ship in it, in the 1st and 2nd picture? I have started my own thread in the Lotting forum, because I was working on a very large shipyard, but it died a bit, because I was out of ideas... It looked too much like a cargo dock.
I 'd really need some dry docks, slipways and large ship parts....

Take a look and please: give me your feedback.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7141.0

emilin

Oooooooooohhhhh... that drydock looks so cool. Is that a new BAT I am not aware of, or is it a combination of lots. It's superb, in any case. &apls

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

kimcar

&apls &apls &aplsOh wow. What some  great night shot that you have done. This is so nice. I can`t wait for the white rock mod my friend , but i know that you are very busy ;D

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

bat

Those night shots are excellent! Fantastic harbor! :thumbsup:

Pat

Adam your cml should be the Modster lol  :D

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Ennedi

Quote from: mightygoose on March 25, 2009, 04:26:15 PM
those night shots are superb, i can never find a flaw with your work, so depressing....

You are one of the very last people who could feel depressed comparing their pictures with another ones  :D Look at them again and you will feel much better  :P

Quote from: art128 on March 25, 2009, 11:48:10 PM
Great military seaport supplies there Adam, We can see that La Spezia has very inspired your work my friend. Your night shots are always incredible and exceptional. Also, there's a colossal researches work for the port design and for your lots.

Outstanding port in one word..

Arthur.  :thumbsup:

Thank you Arthur! One of my biggest problem in Shosaloza is: not enough space  $%Grinno$%. So I can't recreate the general shape of the real port, I only can build a few characteristic elements, and I will try to make more of La Spezia in next updates  :). Yes, it was some work to find these lots, there are some excellent new ones such as SNM military stuff, and fortunately I didn't lose my old findings.

Quote from: FrankU on March 26, 2009, 04:05:49 AM
(...)
Ok, I did find some time.

(...)

I think it would be nice to have a texture that is a bit darker than the normal grass texture. It also should not be too flat. A more lively texture that looks like weeds and shrubs on the slopes.

And now a question: Where did you find the gorgeous dry dock, the one with the navy ship in it, in the 1st and 2nd picture? I have started my own thread in the Lotting forum, because I was working on a very large shipyard, but it died a bit, because I was out of ideas... It looked too much like a cargo dock.
I 'd really need some dry docks, slipways and large ship parts....

Take a look and please: give me your feedback.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7141.0

I had to shorten your message - sorry!  :) But both of us know what's the matter and who doesn't know can look above  ;)
Thank you very much for your analyse! I couldn't expect better cooperation, I'm sure we will create something good together! But it will probably need a few more steps  :)
You will find the next attempt in the second part of this update. Please look at it too :thumbsup:
As for the drydock - this is a part of the SNM military set, look for it in the LEX. Maybe the Hyundai dockyard (see below at my answer to Emil) will be interesting for you too?
I looked at your seaport. It is really impressive! I will make an analyse as you asked  :) tomorrow or after tomorrow. I will also try to look at my plugins and think what could be useful for you. I also would like to encourage you to use hte method showed by me a few updates ago, ie. manipulating the sea level to place land stuff at the waterfront (not only walls!  ;))

Quote from: emilin on March 26, 2009, 05:03:02 AM
Oooooooooohhhhh... that drydock looks so cool. Is that a new BAT I am not aware of, or is it a combination of lots. It's superb, in any case. &apls

Hello Emil, I'm really glad you visited me! :thumbsup: I don't know what drydock do you think about: the naval one is from SNM set (look at the LEX), The Hyundai dockyard is an old lot from ST (type Hyundai in the search box, there are a few versions of them, both land ones and land/water ones).

Quote from: kimcar on March 26, 2009, 11:04:24 AM
&apls &apls &aplsOh wow. What some  great night shot that you have done. This is so nice. I can`t wait for the white rock mod my friend , but i know that you are very busy ;D

Thank you kimcar! The rock mod will be sent to you today :thumbsup:. Sorry I didn't make it earlier, but I'm working on the more complex solution - white limestone rock mod + a set of rocky textures replacing Cycledogg's CPT No5 dependency file. But I must work on it more, so I finally decided to send you a standalone mod - it works exactly as other rock mods.

Quote from: io_bg on March 27, 2009, 04:28:24 PM
Superb shots! :thumbsup:

Thank you Ioan! :)

Quote from: bat on March 29, 2009, 08:45:18 AM
Those night shots are excellent! Fantastic harbor! :thumbsup:

Thank you very much bat!

Quote from: Pat on March 29, 2009, 09:21:03 AM
Adam your cml should be the Modster lol  :D

There are a few better Modsters here  :D. Thank you Pat for nice words! :thumbsup:

At the beginning - a few shots from Vera.

1. The SNM naval drydock at day. This lot is really well done! :thumbsup:

2. A random shot from the naval seaport:

3. The Hyundai dockyard from various sides

...And a few RL photos of the Hyundai Mipo shipyard

A surprise  $%Grinno$%

4. Rainy day

5. I started to develop the main residential area. It is located near the CBD, the canal is a natural barrier between a busy commercial district and residential houses. Many buildings are temporary, they will be replaced when the city will reach higher development stages. I know what would I like to see here, I will try to encourage these buildings to grow  ;). But some nice buildings grow relatively easy (such as Simfox' ones) and I will consider leaving them here.
The whole district is not ready yet, so I show only closeups today.

6. First rails appeared in Vera  :). We will see the whole network soon, now only a few closeups of the first rail station. The rail line will go underground across the canal and CBD, only the central station will be on the surface. Of course a railyard in the industrial area is projected too.

7. And now the Urban Rock Mod - the second attempt.
I analysed your comments (thanks Mightygoose and FrankU! :thumbsup:) and I changed my mind. I didn't want to use the same grassy textures as these from Cycledogg's Terrain Mods, I was thinking that they will flatten an embankment. But finally I used them and I think results are promisive.
These textures are ad and c4 from CPT No3 file. They appear in the Meadowshire Terrain Mod (and probably in Italia Terrain Mod too) at lower elevations. I show them and higher elevation, so it will be good if you would check them in your seaport, FrankU.

a) Texture ad

b) Texture c4

c) I was also thinking about something for waterfronts and I made white stones texture. It can look quite good on embankments too. Maybe it needs some improvement, maybe stones are too big?

Here are links to download these mods:

Texture ad

Texture c4

Texture Stones

8. A little surprise: What do you think about this beach mod?  ;)

Adam :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Toichus Maximus

Sweet work! I think that texture could work as a beach mod if it was more brown and gray than white, but it still looks fabulous!

Always a fan,
Matt

mightygoose

i like the stones as both embankment and beach, however i agree that the texture should probably be finer, texture c4 looks good...

i envisaged a still more man made approach such as set stones and moss...

or even a stepped texture...

as to the update,

while the flavour of the first few port shots is evident, they do lack some of the activity you would normally associate with a busy port, plus i don't know if its me but I hate that dark grey parking texture... it just seems so fake to me.

the residential area is great, nice use of custom content and great feel to the area, i would want to live there. the railway station is very well put together and gives a great impression, however is that row of trees behind the station part of the station lot?

great work overall, looking forward to 45 :)

art128

Very Creative work my friend, the residential sector looks excellently done Adam. Like the seaport, nice use of dry docks.
Also, like I have started to build my seaport (see in the show us your... thread), I'm inspired by your pictures to build my one !  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

FrankU

Hi Ennedi,

In the meantime I found the SNM dry dock. It is indeed beautiful. I also know about the Hyundai docks. They are made by KimDomYung and can indeed be found on the STEX. The lots are a bit uninteresting (and one is turned around, so if you put the arrow to the street the ships will end up on the shore, not in the water). But that can be fixed in LE.
I did that.
I just was very impressed by APTX's enormous cranes and I wanted to put them in use in some kind of dock for really large ships. Jeronij's and PEG's containerships fit under this crane....
But then I found I haven't the right props to make it look like a dock. it is, as I said, more like a bulk dock now.
I am curious what you will be able to show me.

The textures: I am impressed by both textures. I'll see what they do in my region.
The stones are a bit too white, I think. At the first impression they look more like dirty snow!

emilin

Thanks for the info on the drydock!

I really like the beachmodd, and it's hard to find good ones. Perhaps it would look even better in a darker shade, but I'm not sure... it looks good none the less.

And, I'll try to stop by more often. ;D

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

FrankU

Ennedi,

I did some testing.

Your Urban mod Grass_ad gives the following result. It is almost a perfect match. That is nice, although it may lead to a flat looking area.

On the shore we see this.

Your Urban Grass_c4 gives us this. It is as pefect my wish as you can get it. A bit of fooling around with trees and Chrisadams' weeds and grass.. I am happy with it! And I am going to use it.

And on the shore. No problem in my opinion.

A bit pity is this. You see some greyish coloring around the banks of the sunken highway.

And the Rock mod gives me this. Looks like cluttered dirty snow to me.

Maybe a grey version would give the impression of rocks. Then it might give us a nice result for this picture.
A long dam into the sea at the head of my seaport.

This is a real nice addition to my game! Thank you very much.
I would say it is nice to publish it for everyone. Everyone can choose her or his own version. The use depends of course on personal wishes and the combination with the terrain mod you are using. 
&apls  &apls  &apls