• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Recommended Image Hosting Sites

Started by Scarton, December 19, 2017, 12:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarton

I would like some recommendations for image hosting sites which I can use to host SimCity 4 related images that I may post here. A site where hundreds of images can be hosted for free with or without an account is preferable. Google Photos is one place I am considering. Would anyone else also recommend Google Photos or would you suggest someplace better?

Terring7

Flickr gives you one terabyte (that's 1000 gigabytes) of storage for free! I'm not kidding.

Enough said.
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

bluewaves44

Silur

I'm on OneDrive. but I don't trust nobody today ... Frog and Photobucket are in my heart forever   :bnn:

Scarton

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I'll set up a Flickr account and use Google Photos in reserve.

Quote from: Silur on December 19, 2017, 01:26:18 PM
I don't trust nobody today ... Frog and Photobucket are in my heart forever   :bnn:
I plan on keeping backups on a personal hard drive in case Flickr eliminates their free service or some other disaster happens.

mgb204

Quote from: Silur on December 19, 2017, 01:26:18 PM
I don't trust nobody today ... Frog and Photobucket are in my heart forever   :bnn:

What's the world coming to when you can trust a big multinational to give you expensive to run services indefinitely for free? I've said it before, I'll say it again, these business models are stupid and whilst taking advantage of them is a good way to not spend money, it's not a good way to ensure long term stability of your images.

Quote from: Scarton on December 20, 2017, 04:38:41 AM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I'll set up a Flickr account and use Google Photos in reserve.

I plan on keeping backups on a personal hard drive in case Flickr eliminates their free service or some other disaster happens.

You should always keep a local copy of all data hosted in the cloud. Which just tells me how ridiculous the cloud is for data storage. I mean, it's like having to have a second fridge for when the first one inevitably breaks. If the first one is so terrible, buy a better fridge, right?

But I caution you, it's one thing to know your data/images will remain available, so using two services works great for that. But the issue that emaciates the community every so often, is actually about linking to those images. If one of those two decided in future, as many such services have in the past, to stop offering embedded links either free or altogether. Then every image you posted will no longer appear and to fix it, you'd need to manually re-upload and re-link them all, this really sucks. That's why most people don't fix such broken links when they happen, even if they are still active. Sadly though, even if you do pay a fee, that's doesn't completely alter the playing field either, so I can't really recommend that.

Right now I'm very happy with Flickr, having been forced to change from Photobucket last year. But, I know the free service can't last forever, they never do.