• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM 31.1 Technical Support and Bug Report Thread

Started by Tarkus, April 16, 2013, 12:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow Assassin

There is nothing stopping moonlinght or someone else to "patch" those T21s and make them compatible with the new set and release them as a third party add-on. We can't bundle it into the NAM because 1. the installer's already big enough as it is, 2. there's way too many dependencies, and 3. it would be better off being made a separate download and that way, it meets all requirements while not bloating up the NAM more than it already is.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

jdenm8

Quote from: APSMS on April 27, 2013, 05:05:53 PM
Would it be possible to use Moonlight's original SAM mod override and simply have it replace the current NAM iteration instead of say, SAM 1 or 7 to retain the T21 functionality? (or, more precisely, how would we go about doing this?)

It's perfectly possible. You just need to change the IID of each Exemplar to the correct IID range then modify the LotConfigNetworkTileId and ExemplarID properties in each exemplar to the new value. There's about two hundred exemplars, I only got through 50 doing it by hand before I gave up.

Memo has a program to do all this for him, and that's how the InDev file that art128 is using was made.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

k808j

And as pointed out, it would more harm to add stuff to the NAM until the controller is repaired as reported in post #127 by Tarkus

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

Terring7

I discover something interesting in the dragable street S curves.

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

DJSun1981

I have some problems without the patch:

I open a new region without downloads and so on, build the nam and some other downloads.

Problems:

-) If I want save my town, the game close to desktop - most times the second or third time saving

-) The buttons are sometimes blinking and I have to close the game with task-manager.

-) Sometimes the game crash to desktop, if I want build something and after restart, I see the game at night in the day/night view

Swordmaster

Terring, those are so-called "hook paths" implemented to give zone access to those tiles that don't really border the street. You'll notice they're also in the avenue 45° curves and elsewhere. It's completely intentional. Besides, don't you like cars moving onto driveways? ;)

Cheers
Willy

GMT

there's 2 things I really miss since 31 and 31.1:
1) the transit enableing hack that was possible for years with el-rail over road puzzlepieces.
you know, when you did this you can visually fake a transit enabled lot; the intersection looks like the adjecent lot is transit enabled while it actually isnt
it sadly doesn't work anymore so you either have to actually transit enable the respective lot or download some ploppable puzzlepieces to fake it

2) the hack to fake a street-neighborhood-connection with one tile of road.
it used to be just a snipped of road and mostly street textures when you did this trick, thus leading to the visual impression of a street neighborhood-connection while it actually was a regular road intersection.
since 31.1, this doesn't work anymore as almost the entire border-tile turns into road now. basically it's just the other way around than it was before, texturewise; when it ended up with 90% street 10% road across the tile's length, it's now 90% road and 10% street, making it impossible to span a street across the city border in a visually pleasing way...

... really, it is. I swear.

Terring7

I suspected it but I just want to be sure. Thanks for the explanation :)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

als98

Hello NAM Team-

Thanks for the new release! I love the plethora of possibilities that are now available!

One small thing, though- there seems to be a stability bug with the L1 Flex-Transition when you override it to 6S:

Clicking around doesn't seem to fix it. (Is it due to the proximity of other networks?)

Tarkus

Quote from: GMT on April 28, 2013, 09:02:32 AM
there's 2 things I really miss since 31 and 31.1:
1) the transit enableing hack that was possible for years with el-rail over road puzzlepieces.
you know, when you did this you can visually fake a transit enabled lot; the intersection looks like the adjecent lot is transit enabled while it actually isnt
it sadly doesn't work anymore so you either have to actually transit enable the respective lot or download some ploppable puzzlepieces to fake it

2) the hack to fake a street-neighborhood-connection with one tile of road.
it used to be just a snipped of road and mostly street textures when you did this trick, thus leading to the visual impression of a street neighborhood-connection while it actually was a regular road intersection.
since 31.1, this doesn't work anymore as almost the entire border-tile turns into road now. basically it's just the other way around than it was before, texturewise; when it ended up with 90% street 10% road across the tile's length, it's now 90% road and 10% street, making it impossible to span a street across the city border in a visually pleasing way...

I don't think either item was really changed in anything we did, so I'm not sure why that's the case.

Quote from: als98 on April 28, 2013, 11:36:42 AM
One small thing, though- there seems to be a stability bug with the L1 Flex-Transition when you override it to 6S:

Clicking around doesn't seem to fix it. (Is it due to the proximity of other networks?)

The proximity to other networks may be part of it, but in general, there are still some quirks with the Flex-Transitions.  It'll probably take awhile to iron out all of them.

-Alex

z

GMT

Quote from: Tarkus on April 28, 2013, 12:35:41 PM

I don't think either item was really changed in anything we did, so I'm not sure why that's the case.

strange indeed.
as for the transit-enabling fake, the the puzzlepiece's behavior is completely different since 30; with a little fiddling it's possible to get the actual intersection piece showing but the adjecent tile is blocked as being occupied thus making it impossible to place a lot that's supposed to visually profit from the fake.
I got a pre-31 NAM on my laptop (I think as far back as 29 since I haven't played sc on there for an eternity) I can use to see what exactly is different...

and the street-neighbor-thingy... for a moment there I thought it might be because I decided to use the cul-de-sac ends again but that was a deadend.
Let's put it like this: If I build a transition from Street to Road - which basically is what the "hack" profits from - the actual transition between Road and Street is now on the streetside part of the tile and not on the roadside part of the tile anymore, so it now, at first glance, looks like a whole tile of Road and not a whole tile of Street, so I guess the texture has somewhat changed?

... really, it is. I swear.

als98

I fixed my own problem. (See above) Curiously enough, clicking where the 6S and left MIS intersect (indicated by the signpost)  fixes the transition.

I don't know why it worked...

Tarkus

Likely, it's because the overrides are partly, but not fully in place.  In some situations, they resolve properly and result in what you have, but otherwise, they leave something like your original image.  That's what we call a "click-around" case (as if you click around it, it may snap into place).

-Alex

prismatist

Hi there!
I'm new to NAM, and I'm loving it. Thank you to the Devs for putting together an awesome piece of kit.

I'm having one problem with it and wondering if it's a bug or I'm somehow missing something. The Max Commute Time selection in the TSCT does not seem to work for me. I select the checkbox, set a value and save the file. Then I exit the TSCT, start it up again and the value I have selected is still there, but the checkbox does not stay selected. Also, the value does not seem to have any effect on game play. For values of 1, 600, and 999 all the same houses have all the same commute times (or no-job-zots), even after a full year of simulation. All other selections and changes I make work just fine.

Help please!

redlandcannibal

I bought SimCity 4 Deluxe since it was on Steam sale today, and was recommended to get the NAM. However, it always crashes on install immediately after agreeing to the EULA:

I am using Windows 7, if that makes any difference. I would love to get the NAM since it sounds freaking amazing, but I can't do anything if it won't install! Any suggestions?

Wiimeiser

I'm using Windows 7, so it's probably to do with the file path or registry or whatever.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

MandelSoft

Have you tried to run the program as an Administrator?
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

z

Quote from: prismatist on April 29, 2013, 02:31:36 AM
Hi there!
I'm new to NAM, and I'm loving it. Thank you to the Devs for putting together an awesome piece of kit.

I'm having one problem with it and wondering if it's a bug or I'm somehow missing something. The Max Commute Time selection in the TSCT does not seem to work for me. I select the checkbox, set a value and save the file. Then I exit the TSCT, start it up again and the value I have selected is still there, but the checkbox does not stay selected. Also, the value does not seem to have any effect on game play. For values of 1, 600, and 999 all the same houses have all the same commute times (or no-job-zots), even after a full year of simulation. All other selections and changes I make work just fine.

The TSCT is doing exactly what it's supposed to do here.  You need to Read the Friendly Manual.  When you clicked on the checkbox, it said, "Please read the section of the User's Guide before changing this property."  Did you do that?  The User's Guide also refers to A Guide to the Operation of the Traffic Simulator, which you should also read.

Setting the the Max Commute Time higher will not have any positive effect on your game play.  It's already 10 hours to start.  Most likely you need to add lots of subway lines and stations to your city.

Quote from: redlandcannibal on April 29, 2013, 03:24:00 AM
I bought SimCity 4 Deluxe since it was on Steam sale today, and was recommended to get the NAM. However, it always crashes on install immediately after agreeing to the EULA:

I am using Windows 7, if that makes any difference. I would love to get the NAM since it sounds freaking amazing, but I can't do anything if it won't install! Any suggestions?

Either you somehow got a bad download, or else you have more basic system problems.  Do you all other programs work fine on your system?  I'd recommend doing a fresh download of the NAM; this is known to help in some cases.

Quote from: Wiimeiser on April 29, 2013, 03:52:48 AM
I'm using Windows 7, so it's probably to do with the file path or registry or whatever.

No, none of those things would cause the installer to crash.

Quote from: MandelSoft on April 29, 2013, 04:23:12 AM
Have you tried to run the program as an Administrator?

The installer explicitly sets itself to run in User mode (in order to locate the correct Plugins folder), so running as an administrator would not help.  In a working installer, running as administrator could cause the NAM to be installed in the Administrator's Plugins folder, so it is not recommended.

prismatist

Quote from: z on April 29, 2013, 05:09:03 PM
Quote from: prismatist on April 29, 2013, 02:31:36 AM
Hi there!

The TSCT is doing exactly what it's supposed to do here.  You need to Read the Friendly Manual.  When you clicked on the checkbox, it said, "Please read the section of the User's Guide before changing this property."  Did you do that?  The User's Guide also refers to A Guide to the Operation of the Traffic Simulator, which you should also read.

Setting the the Max Commute Time higher will not have any positive effect on your game play.  It's already 10 hours to start.  Most likely you need to add lots of subway lines and stations to your city.

Yep, I read the manual, and the wonderful/terrible effects it describes are what I wanted to play around with. But when I set it down to 1, wanting to unleash all kinds of destructive fun on the city, it does not seem to have an effect. Has anyone else experienced the checkbox just not staying selected?