• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM 33 Pre-Release -- Discussion, Support, and Bug Report Thread

Started by The NAM Team, July 29, 2015, 09:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggman121

Quote from: Moonraker0 on October 14, 2015, 08:29:17 AM
Hi, sorry if this was reported already but I couldn't find it on the bug tracker.  It seems like diagonal RD-4 no longer works properly:  see screenshot.

I think it is fixed on our end! Yep, you are suppose to draw that out like that.

If it surfaces again we will investigate.

-eggman121

Tarkus

The RD-4 diagonals and OWR-4 diagonals actually have an Avenue-like shared-tile footprint, rather than split-tile footprint like the RHW networks.  I have replicated Moonraker's issue with both the RD-4 and the OWR-4 with my current build, though I'm at a complete loss for why it's happening.  Absolutely nothing was changed with the NWM.  The textures for the part of the orth-diag transition that lines up with the shared tile even seems to be failing to appear.  Bizarre.

-Alex

cogeo

Hi, I have a question here, what does the controller compiler remove from the RULs? It is supposed to create a smaller RUL table. I chose to not install the RHW and NWM, and remove much of the rest draggable content (Draggable Elevated Road Networks, Draggable FANs) and not include the RRW and BTM mods either, and the filesize of the controller is still 67 MBs? Any idea?

I would also like to report that the installer is quite stressful to use, if you perform a custom installation:
- The Options window is too small, you always wonder if you missed or forgot something, or clicked accidentally somewhere else, so you have to go up and down and open and close the selections all the time, just to make sure.
- Clicking on the Setup Type Combo above, or in the Separate RULs and networks option loses all your work so far (selections) and there is no way to restore it (you have to start over).

And why does it uninstall my SemitransparentTrainStations_Lots.dat file? It's not included in the list of stations it installs. Is it buggy or something? Please remove it from the Cleanitol list.

EDIT:
For you info, just run my own parser/filter little program, and here's what it reported:

Line Count   : 1110941
Blank Lines  : 53
Comment Lines: 107
Section Lines: 1
Rule Lines   : 1110780

0x57?????? Rules: 1009348
0x51?????? Rules: 32150

So yes, there is a lot of RHW and NWM content in there, which is the bulk of the controller's size. So what does the compiler really remove?

eggman121

Quote from: Tarkus on October 14, 2015, 03:36:54 PM
The RD-4 diagonals and OWR-4 diagonals actually have an Avenue-like shared-tile footprint, rather than split-tile footprint like the RHW networks.  I have replicated Moonraker's issue with both the RD-4 and the OWR-4 with my current build, though I'm at a complete loss for why it's happening.  Absolutely nothing was changed with the NWM.  The textures for the part of the orth-diag transition that lines up with the shared tile even seems to be failing to appear.  Bizarre.

-Alex

I think something or someone has made some errors in the INRULs on GitHub  ???

I tested it without the Draggable FAR INRULs and it worked fine and I know some of the INRULs for the RRW have been messed up for the crossings (IID wise). I would take note of the changes and see if there are any errors there.

-eggman121

Tarkus

If the controller is showing up at 67MB, then you're getting the full controller.  There's been an inexplicable issue with the Controller Compiler sometimes having an issue reading its XML file (official bug report here), and the failsafe state when there's compiler issues is to install the full controller.  The XML issue seems to go away upon running the compiler a second time, so you may be able to run it manually to fix that in the interim and get the filesize down.

As far as the other installer issues and the Cleanitol situation, Steve would know more.

Quote from: eggman121 on October 14, 2015, 04:54:39 PM

I think something or someone has made some errors in the INRULs on GitHub  ???

I tested it without the Draggable FAR INRULs and it worked fine and I know some of the INRULs for the RRW have been messed up for the crossings (IID wise). I would take note of the changes and see if there are any errors there.

Thanks for checking that, Stephen--when I first saw the report and replicated it, INRUL fishiness was the one suspicion I had.  The question is finding out when the problematic changes occurred.

-Alex

eggman121

Hi, sorry if this was reported already but I couldn't find it on the bug tracker.  It seems like diagonal RD-4 no longer works properly:  see screenshot.

Thanks for the report Moonraker0  :thumbsup:

I have fixed the issue on our end I think and have attached the correct INRUL for you to use in the meantime!

Thanks again!

-eggman121

mgb204

Quote from: cogeo on October 14, 2015, 04:18:00 PM
And why does it uninstall my SemitransparentTrainStations_Lots.dat file? It's not included in the list of stations it installs. Is it buggy or something? Please remove it from the Cleanitol list.

I'd hazard a guess this was connected with the SLUP program to update TE lots to modern NAM standards. Having a quick look at my files, I updated the TE Entry Cost and Capacity of your lots. Given they were released a while back they are a little out of sync with current standards. I'm guessing that's why the SLUP removes them.

vicman

Quote from: mgb204 on October 12, 2015, 01:18:41 PM
There are different versions of the EP1 update, you must install the correct one for your game's region (named SKU 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5). If you install the wrong update, it simply won't work. You may unknowingly have one of the other regions and not SKU1. To check this, go to "Program Files (x86)/Maxis/SimCity 4 Deluxe" (note this is the default installation path for 64-bit Windows). Open the "Sku_Data" folder. Inside, you should find a subfolder stating your SKU version number - in the first instance match this to the EP1 update you are patching with.
If this is SKU1, then perhaps you need to consider uninstalling and re-installing SC4. It is best practise to patch the game on a fresh install. Assuming all goes well, you might want to consider a second update from Maxis to version 1.640.0 - without it any custom content will be unable to show nitelights.
Note also, using any sort of modified .exe will cause the patch to fail, this includes no-CD cracks or pirated versions of the game.

I will try re-install. I run the nam version beta 17 jun 2005, that run correctly, I copied some files .dat in the folder "Plugins"

mgb204

Do you mean you were running version beta 17 or is that what you are trying to install? Right now we're really only able to provide support for the latest version of the NAM, which is the 33 Pre Release and perhaps version 32 as well.

If the 638 patch runs, it will always state "run successfully" at the end of the process. This doesn't mean the patch applied correctly, it just means the application itself ran to it's conclusion. When you run a SC4 patch, a file "sc4_patchlog.txt" is created in the same folder where the update exists. Please check this file and copy the contents here and I should be able to diagnose the exact nature of your problem.

cogeo

Quote from: Tarkus on October 14, 2015, 04:57:55 PM
The XML issue seems to go away upon running the compiler a second time, so you may be able to run it manually to fix that in the interim and get the filesize down.
Ok thx, but where can I get the XML and the compiler from? The XML is created and then deleted on the fly I guess, isn't it?

Quote from: mgb204 on October 14, 2015, 08:22:50 PM
I'd hazard a guess this was connected with the SLUP program to update TE lots to modern NAM standards. Having a quick look at my files, I updated the TE Entry Cost and Capacity of your lots. Given they were released a while back they are a little out of sync with current standards. I'm guessing that's why the SLUP removes them.

Maybe, but still, the NAM installer does not install the updated ones, just removes the previous version. Players who are using them will have them simply removed. And won't be offered some download link, they are nor even notified (unless they are curious enough to check the Cleanitol log). Is this OK?

Moonraker0

Quote from: eggman121 on October 14, 2015, 08:02:36 PM

Thanks for the report Moonraker0  :thumbsup:

I have fixed the issue on our end I think and have attached the correct INRUL for you to use in the meantime!

Thanks again!

-eggman121
Thanks for the replies, everyone, and thank you for the fix, eggman121.  This will be good to have in the meantime before the next NAM update!  Glad you were able to figure out the cause of the problem.

EDIT:  Unfortunately, I am still having problems with this.  The problem is not as bad and works for north-south RD-4, but east-west RD-4 has some de-converted road tiles still:  screenshot, screenshot

mgb204

Quote from: cogeo on October 15, 2015, 01:30:14 AM
Maybe, but still, the NAM installer does not install the updated ones, just removes the previous version. Players who are using them will have them simply removed. And won't be offered some download link, they are nor even notified (unless they are curious enough to check the Cleanitol log). Is this OK?

I think the problem is that the code is merely searching for those lots it's finds with unsuitable transit switches. I have the feeling that process is done from a master-list rather than a real-time scan but someone handling SLURP would know a lot more about it than I. Where updated lots were created by the SLURP team this process will update the users files as appropriate. Where such lots have yet to be made, I believe it simply removes the old lots. The rationale behind this comes from a new understanding of how the Transit Switch: Entry Cost & Capacity properties function. There is a bug that can cause major problems if a station gets to around 4x it's capacity causing the entire transport network of it's type to cease to function. The NAM team had to make a decision to either move forward with this knowledge, potentially at the loss of all custom modded stations that were not updated as a result. Whilst the SLUP program is our attempt at updating old stations, we simply can't re-do them all.

Given your knowledge in this sphere, it should be a doddle for you to update these stations with the values here. I'm sure we could then integrate these files into the NAM installer as part of SLURP in the future.

titanicbuff

sorry or the long pause in posting- been playing a lot of skylines lately while waiting on the final release. So I thought I'd check in.
I have struck an iceberg and Sank
Titanicbuff
Visit my website at: http://simcitybuffs.icyboards.net/
RTMT Team Member
NAM Associate

eggman121

Thanks for the report! I think some of the INRULs may be erronous in those directions. Thanks for finding that out. Will fix tonight when I finish work.

-eggman121 (sent from mobile)

cogeo

When is this about to be released?

I'm almost done with adding T21s for Tram-in-road and Tram-in/on-street puzzle pieces (stoplights on intersections. streetlights on the rest) and I wonder if there is time to include them into this version of NAM. Discussion (really looong ago) here. Most of the work was already done by then, but stopped working on it.

cogeo

Btw who changed the Roads RULes in NetworkAddonMod_IndividualNetworkRULs.dat (IID 0x00000007)?

It flips the T21s for the NORMAL SC4 ROADS! This file wasn't there in the previous NAM releases and I don't know what it does. But causes me big troubles, as the whole layout is flipped, and I have to review all of my work - and revise much of it. It's definitely wrong, as first, it's not "symmetrical" (flips the network only in the horizontal direction) and second, the (new) layout differs from that on streets. In the previous NAM version, as well as the Maxis version they were identical.

Checked, and removing the last few lines (after the ";Added by Tarkus" comment doesn't help.
Changing the RUL in line 331 from 3,0,0x00004B00,1,0 to the original 3,0,0x00004B00,3,0 alone appears to "fix" the problem, but I don't know if this OK, it's definitely not complete, and I don't know what else has to be changed, so this should be done by the member who made the change, to do it properly. It's not consistent as is, so this needs to be fixed.

eggman121

Quote from: Moonraker0 on October 15, 2015, 04:03:33 AM
EDIT:  Unfortunately, I am still having problems with this.  The problem is not as bad and works for north-south RD-4, but east-west RD-4 has some de-converted road tiles still:  screenshot, screenshot

It has completely escaped me that I forgot to arrange the flips to the correct orientations  :-[ , Anyway here is a new file to try attached to this post!

Oh and +1 for your help  :thumbsup: .

Kind Regards

Quote from: cogeo on October 17, 2015, 02:45:04 AM
Btw who changed the Roads RULes in NetworkAddonMod_IndividualNetworkRULs.dat (IID 0x00000007)?

It flips the T21s for the NORMAL SC4 ROADS! This file wasn't there in the previous NAM releases and I don't know what it does. But causes me big troubles, as the whole layout is flipped, and I have to review all of my work - and revise much of it. It's definitely wrong, as first, it's not "symmetrical" (flips the network only in the horizontal direction) and second, the (new) layout differs from that on streets. In the previous NAM version, as well as the Maxis version they were identical.

Checked, and removing the last few lines (after the ";Added by Tarkus" comment doesn't help.
Changing the RUL in line 331 from 3,0,0x00004B00,1,0 to the original 3,0,0x00004B00,3,0 alone appears to "fix" the problem, but I don't know if this OK, it's definitely not complete, and I don't know what else has to be changed, so this should be done by the member who made the change, to do it properly. It's not consistent as is, so this needs to be fixed.

I think in general that the INRULs have been mucked up somehow. I think we need to go through with a fine tooth comb to find out what has differentiated and what needs to be fixed.

-eggman121

cogeo

Quote from: eggman121 on October 17, 2015, 03:36:41 AM
I think in general that the INRULs have been mucked up somehow. I think we need to go through with a fine tooth comb to find out what has differentiated and what needs to be fixed.
For the issue I have reported, that fine-combing is not even necessary, as I have found and described the problem already. The changes (from the original) are very few anyways, All that needs to be done is the member who made the changes modify those few lines as needed.

eclipticalstorm

The Ped Mall textures are missing under the E-rail over Ped Mall pieces.  This has been an issue since the last few NAM Updates (aprox. NAM 30+).  At first I thought the piece may no longer be supported, but I noticed it's still in the que ribbon so I figured maybe it was just something that slipped through the cracks.  Thanks in advance!

Tarkus

Quote from: eclipticalstorm on October 17, 2015, 11:29:43 AM
The Ped Mall textures are missing under the E-rail over Ped Mall pieces.  This has been an issue since the last few NAM Updates (aprox. NAM 30+).  At first I thought the piece may no longer be supported, but I noticed it's still in the que ribbon so I figured maybe it was just something that slipped through the cracks.  Thanks in advance!

I've just tested all of the El-Rail-over-Pedmall pieces, and none of them were missing any textures.  Judging by the looks of your El-Rail, however, it looks like you're using some sort of cosmetic mod on your El-Rail, which is likely the culprit.

Regarding the Road INRULs, I think Stephen's "fine tooth comb" comment is to make sure there aren't any more oddities had been introduced.  I do know what the "added by Tarkus" bit is (it's an INRUL trigger for the Draggable Road Viaduct OnSlope transition), but beyond that, there is surprisingly little information about why, when, or by whom the changes were made, because the way we build those files changed with the introduction of the INRUL Compiler back in April (which would have been the time that INRUL-07 started being included in NetworkAddonMod_IndividualNetworkRULs.dat).  In any case, any member of the team who has signed up for access can edit that Github depository, so it doesn't require playing an unproductive blame game.  We will need to make sure that reverting it won't break something else, though.

-Alex