• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM 33 Pre-Release -- Discussion, Support, and Bug Report Thread

Started by The NAM Team, July 29, 2015, 09:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: eggman121 on August 04, 2015, 10:27:25 PM
The DBE Normal Bridge Hybrid basically works by using normal Bridges as the outside Tiles and the center is just your normal draggable flat terrain Network. As such You could get two RHW bridges and assuming that there is a starter for the RRW you could have a railway line between the two bridges.

So back to the chase, a Normal Bridge and a DBE Setup can coexist right next to each other. So I exploited this fact to have a compact Bridge by Modeling the sides.

First, let me thank you for being willing to make a RHW-xC suspension bridge. Your method for building your 6C bridge is quite clever, and I'm sure it will work great for suspension bridges as well.

Furthermore with this discovery It should be possible to make a suspension Bridge based on the info presented. You would have to make to distinct half's however but It would work out.

Alignment of the pylons is the reason behind this.

I can see why this would be the case. Looking at the Maxis Medium Suspension Bridge RULs, it's obvious that dragging the halves of the bridge from opposite sides, as one normally has to do with paired one-way bridges, would end up misaligning the pylon halves - and, even worse, the tower halves. So we would end up having to make two different bridges that are mirror images of each other - one dragged with the flow of its traffic, and one dragged against the flow.

At the same time, though, the fact that I could only find that one suspension bridge's RULs in SimCity_1.dat suggests that some suspension bridges don't require RULs. Even the Akashi Kaikyo Bridge doesn't have any RULs in the NAM Bridge Controller, and it can be drawn at any length that is at least its MinSpan value. So it's possible that we could design an 8C suspension bridge that has a fixed EndSupportInterval, ensuring that the tower/pylon halves would align as long as the bridge halves are the same length and their ends are aligned - even if each half of the bridge were dragged from opposite ends. If we can do that, we won't need to model distinct halves; only one half will need to be modeled. Does that sound feasible to you?

For those of you who haven't yet tried to build complicated interchanges, let me demonstrate just what you can do with NAM 33:

Every part of this cloverstack is either dragged or a Flex piece; it contains no static puzzle pieces at all. I'll leave you to figure out which parts are draggable and which are Flex pieces. There are some things I can't spoil for you right now. ;)

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: woodb3kmaster on August 05, 2015, 09:40:36 PM
For those of you who haven't yet tried to build complicated interchanges, let me demonstrate just what you can do with NAM 33:

I'll say one thing: with the exception of high-complexity pieces (like FlexFly and on-slope transitions) and elevated starters, and given the right overrides, you could very well create a draggable interchange.

I think everyone at home can see the ramifications of such a feat. $%Grinno$%
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

GDO29Anagram

Rampage V.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Pw9aux7Qye0

This marks the final video in the (now) eleven-part series on all new RealHighway content. In the interests of time (and also because I just installed Windows 10, have a furniture restoration project, and a major dentist appointment coming up), I cannot create a 12th video describing the changes to the FlexRamps. I will, however, list them out, so please pay close attention.

- The Type A2 FlexRamp has been changed from a three-tile long ramp to a four-tile long ramp, to fit with the size of the Type D2 Ramp.
- All X2 Ramps have been rebased and as such, have had certain tiles rearranged. If a ramp interface looks like its tiles have been scrambled, just click on it to restore it.
- With the case of the Type A2 FlexRamp and how it's now one tile longer, if you have put FlexRamps and Cosmetic Pieces really close to each other, you will have to rebuild those setups.
- Type D2 and E2 Ramps have been remade such that they now default to RHW-6S instead of RHW-8S. The footprints for these have changed such that they require one less tile than before. These may fare better than the Type A2 FlexRamp.
- Type A1 and B1 Inside FlexRamps now default to Inside MIS instead of inside RHW-4. If the RHW-4's extending out of these ramps are long enough, you will be fine. Otherwise, be prepared to add starters.
- There are NO Type D1 and E1 Inside Ramps right now.
- There are also NO Type A1 Wide, D1 Wide, A2 Wide, or D2 Wide FlexRamps. Some existing FlexRamps, like Type B1 and D1, may be converted to Types A1 Wide and D1 Wide, but this may be a problem for the Type X2 Ramps.
- There may still be a number of autoconnect issues with the FlexRamps, preventing the proper usage of many of the new ramps. As the current set of DRIs is so extensive that they fulfil many of the functions of FlexRamps, it is recommended to use the Type X2 DRIs if you find any autoconnect issues with the FlexRamps.
- Note that the DRIs are NOT a replacement to FlexRamps. As powerful and advanced as DRIs are, their main downfall is memorisation of patterns and lack of slope tolerance. The purpose of FlexRamps is to handle both of those issues, and granted, it may take time for both systems to be perfected. However, just don't think that one system is better than the other by what it does; both systems are important and both systems have their place.

And with that, I leave you guys with the playlist for all of the videos I have; all eleven of them. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp1o2hISGI7SD6DLbPg-XOmSN6zXdzpzV
<INACTIVE>
-----

Kitsune

Hello Zack

First of all thank you for your kind words  :thumbsup:

Yes I would be interested in making such a bridge  ;)

The DBE Normal Bridge Hybrid basically works by using normal Bridges as the outside Tiles and the center is just your normal draggable flat terrain Network. As such You could get two RHW bridges and assuming that there is a starter for the RRW you could have a railway line between the two bridges.

So back to the chase, a Normal Bridge and a DBE Setup can coexist right next to each other. So I exploited this fact to have a compact Bridge by Modeling the sides.

Furthermore with this discovery It should be possible to make a suspension Bridge based on the info presented. You would have to make to distinct half's however but It would work out.

Alignment of the pylons is the reason behind this.

Thanks again

-Stephen

Would this mean the tsing ma lower deck could be put into use ?
~ NAM Team Member

Tarkus

Theoretically, one *could* produce a DBE-type setup involving a dual-network.  The Tsing Ma Double Deck did actually work for the most part, but it had the weird glitch in which the traffic congestion data view would turn beet red as soon as any rail traffic came on board.  Having tested it extensively sometime back in 2008, IIRC, this is merely a display issue, however.

-Alex

thomaslc

This is a masterpiece. Congratulations to all the team.

It seems the FlexRamp E1 for 8S L0 isn't working, as shown in the attached screenshot. I've tried various things and wasn't able to make it work.
Anyone can reproduce?

Thanks!

Kitsune

And .. I cant seem to get Diagonal MIS to work under the flex fly:

~ NAM Team Member

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Kitsune on August 08, 2015, 12:00:27 PM
And .. I cant seem to get Diagonal MIS to work under the flex fly:

FlexFly×Diagonals (in which diagonal networks cross underneath) aren't supported. I'm not sure if they could be.

Quote from: thomaslc on August 08, 2015, 04:48:48 AM
It seems the FlexRamp E1 for 8S L0 isn't working, as shown in the attached screenshot. I've tried various things and wasn't able to make it work.

You need to draw the RHW-8S outer stub as far into the FlexRamp as possible.
<INACTIVE>
-----

thomaslc

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on August 08, 2015, 12:09:53 PM
You need to draw the RHW-8S outer stub as far into the FlexRamp as possible.

Yup, that's what I'm doing. With the D1, it works fine, the extra square gets used. With the E1, as soon as I draw the outer edge of the 8S into it, it turns into what is in the screenshot.

I seem to be having troubles with the Flex E2 too using 8S, I took three screenshots showing the whole sequence. It's weird because the preview works fine, and as soon as I release the mouse button, it goes nuts. Any hint?

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: thomaslc on August 09, 2015, 01:38:46 AM
I seem to be having troubles with the Flex E2 too using 8S, I took three screenshots showing the whole sequence. It's weird because the preview works fine, and as soon as I release the mouse button, it goes nuts.

This is a known issue that I've pointed out in a post above: X2 FlexRamps are prone to autoconnect bugs and may be like that for a while. The interim solution is to use the DRI versions of those ramps.
<INACTIVE>
-----

thomaslc

Thank you! Sorry for missing the previous post about it, there's quite a lot of (technical) content in this thread ;)

EDIT : worked perfectly using DRI. :)

Synthael

Thanks for the awesome update, I'm having fun with overwriting all old ramp pieces with DRIs, with a few clicks and drags you can have almost any interchange you want.
:thumbsup:
However, I found some annoyances, nothing major:
(note: I use LHD SC4 Deluxe, disc version updated to the latest patch)

1. some ramps are having texture problems on one to three tiles, most likely some mirroring or placement problems, paths are all ok. Using default textures as Euro tex pack isn't updated yet, deleted all euro texture files from plugins folder
    Pic1
    Pic2

2. Y splitters for GLR (both draggable and puzzle based have RHD paths instead LHD

As I said, nothing major, when you have the chance, look into it. If I find anything else, will report.

And now back to remaking some of the interchanges with new ramps  ;D

Tarkus

Synthael, thanks for the report, and glad to hear you're enjoying the NAM 33 Pre-Release!

#1 was caused by some extraneous textures still being present in the LHD support file for the RHW.  I did a couple updates to the version of it on our private repository, cleaning out a bunch of stuff in there, so it should be fixed now.

We hadn't caught #2 before (it's likely been there for years), and thanks to your report, one of my colleagues (mgb204) has fixed it on our end (I just need to merge his patch into the main file).

-Alex

matias93

I don't know if this is a known bug, or begun in this pre-release (because I never used RHW before), but when adding lots aside RHW pieces (draggable and puzzle), they change texture, specifically to a narrower one, and yellow-lined, that coincides with the smooth curves the MIS makes automatically. Is barely an esthetic problem, but it makes some weird mixes in textures.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Tarkus

Are you by chance using Euro textures?  That sounds like the most likely explanation, as the current RHW Euro textures are of a different width, and likely aren't wealthified to handle adjacent mid/high-density zones (while the default US textures are).

This is a known issue.  That said, there's some complications with fixing that one.  The Euro textures were MandelSoft's baby, but he's since largely retired from SC4 development to focus on Euro Truck Simulator, and his attempts to find help to continue to maintain the set for future releases have not had any success.  We'd definitely like to be able to have Euro textures working for the NAM 33 official release, but we need to find a solution that doesn't involve burying the remainder of our existing active developers in a lot of texture work.

-Alex

Geometry123

Can confirm that traffic won't go through the affected area, considering UDI terminates abruptly there.
You will never know when will the next NAM be released. Only time teasing will tell. :P

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game"
                                                 -Ocean Quigley

Moonraker0

I found a couple issues in this version that I didn't see on the GitHub tracker:

• No model for the RHW-6S to RHW-8S L2 entrance FLEXramp, despite that this is said to be supported in the ramp's tooltip.  I haven't tried dragging it yet.
  • No model for the new DDRHW-4 bridge.  I saw that these had disappeared from my city and thought I'd just redraw them, but found that they were still invisible afterwards.

Good work with the new NAM pre-release though! :)

Tarkus

Quote from: Moonraker0 on August 18, 2015, 02:27:22 AM
I found a couple issues in this version that I didn't see on the GitHub tracker:

• No model for the RHW-6S to RHW-8S L2 entrance FLEXramp, despite that this is said to be supported in the ramp's tooltip.  I haven't tried dragging it yet.
  • No model for the new DDRHW-4 bridge.  I saw that these had disappeared from my city and thought I'd just redraw them, but found that they were still invisible afterwards.

Good work with the new NAM pre-release though! :)

The DDRHW bridge one was already found, and has since been fixed (there's the "Closed" issues, too, on Github).

As far as that FLEXRamp, there's several that would entail an 8S slimming down to a 6S . . . which specific one was it?  The D1 and A2 wouldn't be possible at elevation due to the overhangs, the E1 may or may not be in there (can't remember at the moment), and the B2 and E2 aren't supported yet because they don't have models.

-Alex

Moonraker0

Quote from: Tarkus on August 18, 2015, 01:09:11 PM
As far as that FLEXRamp, there's several that would entail an 8S slimming down to a 6S . . . which specific one was it?  The D1 and A2 wouldn't be possible at elevation due to the overhangs, the E1 may or may not be in there (can't remember at the moment), and the B2 and E2 aren't supported yet because they don't have models.

-Alex
Oh right, I forgot to mention which ramp it was.  It was the L2 type D1 RHW-6 to RHW-8 entrance ramp FLEXramp.