• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM 33 Pre-Release -- Discussion, Support, and Bug Report Thread

Started by The NAM Team, July 29, 2015, 09:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

indovote, first off, welcome to SC4D! 

To answer your question, it's impossible to port a SimCity 4 mod like the NAM over to SimCity 2013.  The game's mechanics, software architecture, and graphical engine are completely different, and absolutely nothing can be transferred.  They're completely different animals.  Additionally, hardly anyone on the team even owns SC2013 (I don't), and those who have it haven't touched it since shortly after its release.  In case you're wondering, it's the same thing with Cities: Skylines and Cities XL/XXL.  In spite of its age, there's still a lot more that can be done with SC4, and that's the direction the NAM Team is headed.

-Alex

compdude787

This isn't really a bug or anything, but I noticed that the description for the width transition between RHW-6C and -8C says it's deprecated. This doesn't seem to be correct; I have no clue what this would have been replaced with.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

GMT

can we get puzzle pieces back pretty pleeeaaase?
these draggables are driving me nuts for they don't do what I want. Same for flex btw, hours of fiddling around to get a single interchange...
oh, and I end up with really really funny aka bugged looks:

I know it's just a pre-release like a beta or something but still rolling back to 32 now

... really, it is. I swear.

compdude787

The puzzle pieces can still be used; they're just marked as deprecated. Also, I think part of the wonkiness with the textures is the fact that you're using Ontario textures, which don't really work anymore because MandelSoft has retired from SC4 modding and couldn't find anyone else to take over for him. So you'll have to switch back to the default textures.

My YouTube Channel

Tarkus

As compdude mentioned, once you switch back to the default textures, you'll find the draggables work much better.  The Ontario set won't be included as part of the official release of NAM 33, and ditto with MandelSoft's Euro and Irish/South African sets.  They're shelved until we can find someone who can take over maintenance--there's different scaling to them, and they're put together differently.  There will be a new Euro set based off the default that will be in NAM 33 (generated from the US default using Photoshop scripts), so at least that will be covered. 

Puzzle pieces are going the way of the dodo in large part because people complained that there were too many, and simultaneously requested new features.  The existing ones will stick around in legacy form, but they're no longer supported, and almost all new functionality will be fully FLEX/draggable-based.

Additionally, NAM 33's Pre-Release also fixes a number of issues with NAM 32, so it's actually a more stable release.

Quote from: compdude787 on October 03, 2015, 03:30:21 PM
This isn't really a bug or anything, but I noticed that the description for the width transition between RHW-6C and -8C says it's deprecated. This doesn't seem to be correct; I have no clue what this would have been replaced with.

That was likely a slip-up on my part.  That transition has an IID that makes it look like a ramp interface, so when quickly going through and marking everything, that one was accidentally marked that way.  It will be deprecated by NAM 34, however, as the width transitions are the next area to receive the FLEX/draggable treatment.

-Alex

Nadlug

Getting a lot of pollution caused by Tram (possibly all Elevated rail traffic)

Screenshot of the Air pollution data view with the routing tool showing traffic at a T Intersection.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=530532692

Not sure if this is a bug or not. Seems kinda strange for (I assume) electric trains to cause so much pollution.

Tarkus

It's partly due to an issue with the game.  The property that has to be switched on to allow for proper counting of traffic on El-Rail and Monorail networks automatically causes the game to create a pollution effect from that traffic as well.  The NAM's Traffic Simulator Plugins include a modified version of the game's default Clean Air Act to counteract this--you'll need to enact that ordinance in-game to achieve the desired effect.

-Alex

Nadlug

Quote from: Tarkus on October 05, 2015, 05:25:47 PM
The NAM's Traffic Simulator Plugins include a modified version of the game's default Clean Air Act to counteract this--you'll need to enact that ordinance in-game to achieve the desired effect.

-Alex

Thanks that cleared up most of it though there is still some pollution present. My other city's have similar pollution hot spots over tram lines though they have more car traffic as well.

drjumbajookiba

Live Out loud For God

indovote

Dear Tarkus/NAM Team,

Can you add the Indonesia Road Texture? Because I want more road texture added to the NAM.
Also, can you fix "CTD on connecting high-rail directly to station" bug?

Sorry for bad english, because I'am from Indonesia & I'am not native English speaker.

APSMS

Quote from: drjumbajookiba on October 07, 2015, 06:10:29 PM
Here I found this bug:
<bug picture>

Help?????? ()what() ()what()
Did you try randomly clicking with the RHW tool around the problem area? (click on the RHW networks you already drew) Sometimes the network RULs (rules) aren't figured out when you first draw the network, and clicking forces the game to reevaluate the connections and networks in the surrounding area.

Quote from: indovote on October 07, 2015, 08:22:22 PM
Dear Tarkus/NAM Team,

Can you add the Indonesia Road Texture? Because I want more road texture added to the NAM.

Sorry for bad english, because I'am from Indonesia & I'am not native English speaker.
At the moment texture mods are on a temporary hiatus. Efforts are being made to make a basic Euro Texture version, but because the main Euro Texture Developer for the NAM (Mandelsoft) is no longer active, all of his mods have been relegated to legacy status, and are no longer 100% compatible with the new features in the most recent NAM.

Form follows function is also the policy of the NAM, so texture mods are not a priority. The two offerings (US/Canada & Euro) are going to be all for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately the best advice for additional texture mods at this time is to make one yourself, as many of the NAM Team members are strapped for time as it is (due to Real Life).

For the CTD you are having, is that for normal Heavy Rail (Freight and Passenger), or for El-Rail? If it's for Heavy Rail, nothing can be done. This is a known issue involving TE-lots (like the station) and Puzzle Pieces (which is what the Elevated Heavy Rail consists of). Hovering a puzzle-piece over a TE-LOT like a station will cause a CTD (but the reverse, a TE-LOT over a PP, doesn't do this)

If it's any consolation, NAM 34 will bring many improvements to the rail networks, maybe* including draggable Elevated Heavy Rail, which won't have this issue. For now you will just have to be very careful with how you place your heavy rail next to your transit stations. As a temporary workaround, notice that there is no CTD if you place the rails first, and then plop the station afterward.

*big emphasis on the maybe
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

indovote

Quote from: APSMS on October 07, 2015, 08:55:57 PM
Here I found this bug:
<bug picture>

Did you try randomly clicking with the RHW tool around the problem area? (click on the RHW networks you already drew) Sometimes the network RULs (rules) aren't figured out when you first draw the network, and clicking forces the game to reevaluate the connections and networks in the surrounding area.

Dear Tarkus/NAM Team,

At the moment texture mods are on a temporary hiatus. Efforts are being made to make a basic Euro Texture version, but because the main Euro Texture Developer for the NAM (Mandelsoft) is no longer active, all of his mods have been relegated to legacy status, and are no longer 100% compatible with the new features in the most recent NAM.

Form follows function is also the policy of the NAM, so texture mods are not a priority. The two offerings (US/Canada & Euro) are going to be all for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately the best advice for additional texture mods at this time is to make one yourself, as many of the NAM Team members are strapped for time as it is (due to Real Life).

For the CTD you are having, is that for normal Heavy Rail (Freight and Passenger), or for El-Rail? If it's for Heavy Rail, nothing can be done. This is a known issue involving TE-lots (like the station) and Puzzle Pieces (which is what the Elevated Heavy Rail consists of). Hovering a puzzle-piece over a TE-LOT like a station will cause a CTD (but the reverse, a TE-LOT over a PP, doesn't do this)

If it's any consolation, NAM 34 will bring many improvements to the rail networks, maybe* including draggable Elevated Heavy Rail, which won't have this issue. For now you will just have to be very careful with how you place your heavy rail next to your transit stations. As a temporary workaround, notice that there is no CTD if you place the rails first, and then plop the station afterward.

*big emphasis on the maybe
High-rail is meant here is double height El-Rail. :)

eggman121

Here I found this bug:

The 3 tile networks will have that issue until the RHW Base RUL2 Code is fixed up. So in the meantime I would stick to mainly single tile networks at lower levels for stability.

As for alternative texture sets there will be limited varieties going forward!

Textures can be labor intensive require quite an amount of skill to create, especially when intersections come into play!

So you will have to bear with us while we get NAM33 for prime time. There are a limited amount of contributors to the NAM these days so the shift is from large changes to smaller and more focused changes. I hope this will clear up the situation regarding the NAM and future developments.

-eggman121

mgb204

With the 30m High El-Rail station it is a little bit fiddly, since you can't plop a station in a gap of 4 tiles left for it (no paths). Therefore you must be very careful, because if one of the puzzle pieces (High El-Rail) touches the station lot, indeed you will get a CTD. This issue is a problem that exists from Maxis and the NAM team are not really in a position to fix it directly. Essentially, placing any Puzzle Piece over a Transit Enabled lot (such as a station) with the same network as the puzzle piece causes this to occur. Some stations have been modified to prevent the issue from occurring, I'm not sure if this can be done with this station however.

Thankfully most users won't be making too many 30m stations so it's a minor thing, with care you can work around the problem:

1 - Make sure you always save your city before attempting to connect one.
2 - First build the El-Rail network leaving a 6 tile gap.
3 - Plop the station in the middle of the gap.
4 - Being very careful with where you place the cursor (mouse), plop the last two pieces that connect to the station.

Provided you never touch the station with the puzzle pieces, all will be fine.

vicman

Hello!

I have a problem. I can't install NAM, it show this message.

The message say that require the version 1.638.0. But the patch is already installed.

Then I don't know to do, I need help.

Thanks  :)

mgb204

Quote from: vicman on October 09, 2015, 02:24:53 PM

The message say that require the version 1.638.0. But the patch is already installed.

Where did you get your copy of SC4? Are you running the disk-based version or did it come from a digital download? If digital can you state which vendor it was purchased from please.

Additionally be aware the NAM will only work with SC4 + the Rush Hour add-on which is also included in deluxe versions of the game.

vicman

Quote from: mgb204 on October 09, 2015, 03:25:38 PM
Quote from: vicman on October 09, 2015, 02:24:53 PM

Where did you get your copy of SC4? Are you running the disk-based version or did it come from a digital download? If digital can you state which vendor it was purchased from please.

Additionally be aware the NAM will only work with SC4 + the Rush Hour add-on which is also included in deluxe versions of the game.

I am running a disk-based version. I have the deluxe edition. I run the patch but the "SimCity 4.exe" do not update, its version is 1.1.610.0. After of run the patch to update SKU1, it copy the files .dat, but the version is the same.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for your reply

mgb204

There are different versions of the EP1 update, you must install the correct one for your game's region (named SKU 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5). If you install the wrong update, it simply won't work. You may unknowingly have one of the other regions and not SKU1. To check this, go to "Program Files (x86)/Maxis/SimCity 4 Deluxe" (note this is the default installation path for 64-bit Windows). Open the "Sku_Data" folder. Inside, you should find a subfolder stating your SKU version number - in the first instance match this to the EP1 update you are patching with.

If this is SKU1, then perhaps you need to consider uninstalling and re-installing SC4. It is best practise to patch the game on a fresh install. Assuming all goes well, you might want to consider a second update from Maxis to version 1.640.0 - without it any custom content will be unable to show nitelights.

Note also, using any sort of modified .exe will cause the patch to fail, this includes no-CD cracks or pirated versions of the game.

Moonraker0

Hi, sorry if this was reported already but I couldn't find it on the bug tracker.  It seems like diagonal RD-4 no longer works properly:  see screenshot.

compdude787

I think you might be putting the roads too close together. Try separating them by one tile on the diagonal portion. This is no different than what you'd have to do to get a diagonal 2-tile RHW network.

My YouTube Channel