• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW Interchange Guide - Moved To A New Home! (See the Child Board Above)

Started by Haljackey, January 23, 2009, 10:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you found this guide useful?

Yes- very useful
256 (82.3%)
Yes- somewhat useful
44 (14.1%)
No- too simplistic
4 (1.3%)
No- too confusing
7 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 311

Haljackey

Quote from: Koenieboy997 on October 13, 2011, 05:08:30 AM
Hey Haljacky,
I've got (another) question, this time about those slope mods. In the parclo A-4 intersection, do you also make the slopes of the 'leaves' with the BTM slope mod? So do you first imitate the rhw curve with BTM, and then create the road over it? Or do you also use another slope mod?

By leaves do you mean loops? I use the RHW slope mod for my RHW networks so by default that's the slope of the loops when I drag them out.

The Bullet Train slope mod is something I use that creates an even smoother slope than the RHW slope mod. I use this for the mainline RHW lanes.

thornyjohny

Guys, I really need help.
Just look at this.

As you can see, I need a 5-way interchange.
All ideas and help is appreciated.

Bipin

For 4+ way interchanges I like to combine interchanges. An interchange comprising of more than one type of interchange is called a meiotic interchange, and I've found they work pretty well. For your case, I'd first start with a cloverleaf + T-interchange, with the T-interchange connecting to one of the cloverleaf spurs.

Elydion

Quote from: thornyjohny on October 14, 2011, 01:26:10 AM
Guys, I really need help.
Just look at this.

As you can see, I need a 5-way interchange.
All ideas and help is appreciated.
I posted a 5-way rhw interchange in the Show your intersections thread. I believe it is on page 123 you might want to take a look at it.
It's really big, but maybe it'll give you some ideas

thornyjohny

Quote from: Elydion on October 14, 2011, 05:12:34 AM
I posted a 5-way rhw interchange in the Show your intersections thread. I believe it is on page 123 you might want to take a look at it.
It's really big, but maybe it'll give you some ideas

:o :o :o
&apls &apls &apls
But I did get an idea on where to start, though. Thanks. &idea

Haljackey

Here's the interchange that was built on the last page, but shown widened and with acceleration and deceleration lanes.

...Just goes to show you how versatile this construction method is. And there's still a tile free on each side of the overpass for further modification!  &idea

chadmichael03

I can't find the Avenue-MIS ramps.  I saw them last night in my game, but now I've lost them and it's driving me crazy.  Any help would be appreciated.

Er, for clarification, I know they're still there, I just can't find which menu/submenu path I found last night.

Tarkus

They're under Avenue/RHW Interfaces button on the Roads menu--same button as Avenue-over-RHW pieces, the Diverging Diamond and FlexSPUI.

-Alex

Lach77

Can someone please give me some tips on building the FARHW TuLEP Diamond Interchange? I normally use the SPUIs but I have a one directional/half diamond interchange that currently just connects the avenue overpass by the MIS pieces. I'd like to have something a bit more realistic that utilises the TuLEP turning lane pieces. The problem I have is that if I lay the FARHW TuLEP intersetion puzzle pieces down RHW cannot cross these tiles. Unless I'm blind I haven't found any tutorials that says how this can be done and there is no mention of using these pieces in the readme.

Thanks

jdenm8

The FAD puzzle pieces are to be used as any other puzzle piece. They are a self-contained intersection (No draggable component, they do NOT use WaveRIDE) and must be:
A. Placed on existing Avenue.
B. Have Avenue Type A TuLEPs connected to the inside (The side that points toward the motorway, it's the same for RHD and LHD) WITH THE EXCEPTION of the piece with only Incoming FARHW.
C. Have FARHW-4 puzzle pieces placed on whatever sides it leaves from.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Lach77

Quote from: jdenm8 on November 02, 2011, 07:40:46 AM
The FAD puzzle pieces are to be used as any other puzzle piece. They are a self-contained intersection (No draggable component, they do NOT use WaveRIDE) and must be:
A. Placed on existing Avenue.
B. Have Avenue Type A TuLEPs connected to the inside (The side that points toward the motorway, it's the same for RHD and LHD) WITH THE EXCEPTION of the piece with only Incoming FARHW.
C. Have FARHW-4 puzzle pieces placed on whatever sides it leaves from.

Thanks - are you able to provide a picture of this functional intersection?. I'm not quite sure what you mean by WaveRIDE

Wiimeiser

Actually, they appear to have Avenue stubs for me, at least.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Haljackey

Quote from: Lach77 on November 03, 2011, 02:27:54 AM

Thanks - are you able to provide a picture of this functional intersection?. I'm not quite sure what you mean by WaveRIDE

I can whip up a tutorial for a FARHW TuLEP Diamond Interchange. I haven't used FAR in this guide yet, and have hardly used TuLEPs, so it will be something different for me.

Speaking about different, here is yet another example of a realistic Parclo interchange you can make with guide 2.6 on the last page.
-Remember that extra tile of space left on each side of the overpass? Here it's been filled with a collector lane so both on-ramps merge before joining the highway.

Click for full size.

It really is a versatile template, ain't it?  ::)
-Ryan (Haljackey)

apeguy

Nice one. :thumbsup:

Speaking of Parclos:

I added a couple of extra ramps, so that no traffic crosses the road, while only making the junction slightly wider and somewhat longer. I'm not sure you can even call it a parclo anymore now that it has 4 loop ramps. ()what()

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: apeguy on November 04, 2011, 02:34:24 PM
I added a couple of extra ramps, so that no traffic crosses the road, while only making the junction slightly wider and somewhat longer. I'm not sure you can even call it a parclo anymore now that it has 4 loop ramps. ()what()

If it has four loops, it turns into a Cloverleaf. However, yours eliminates the weaving problem on just the major highway.

So how does one set up a cloverleaf so that it eliminates the weaving problem entirely for both highways? And would you still need a cloverleaf if the weaving problem is already that serious?
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

MandelSoft

Well, I would turn that in a full-blown cloverleaf. In RL this would be overly expensive...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

apeguy

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on November 04, 2011, 03:04:59 PM
If it has four loops, it turns into a Cloverleaf. However, yours eliminates the weaving problem on just the major highway.

So how does one set up a cloverleaf so that it eliminates the weaving problem entirely for both highways? And would you still need a cloverleaf if the weaving problem is already that serious?

Well the way the ramps meets the minor road means that traffic leaves the minor road to join the highway  before traffic from the highway joins the minor road. So doesn't that mean the weaving is eliminated completely? Unless I've misunderstood what you meant. :-[
EDIT: You mean the weaving that'll occur as traffic passes over the bridge, right? I wasn't sure how to avoid that without making the interchange stupidly large. Besides, speeds would be lower on the minor road compared to the highway, and there's a 24 tile gap, so I don't think weaving would be a major problem on the minor road.

Just thought I'd post the same interchange, but with a slight modification:

Now the MIS ramps are straighter, and the interchange's length has been reduced slightly. TBH I just made this interchange as an experiment to see if I could add another pair of ramps to a normal parclo A4. ;)

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

mike3775

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on November 04, 2011, 03:04:59 PM

Put the weaving on the ramps themselves.  When I make cloverleafs, I have a 2 lane RHW and the weaving happens on that, off the flow of the highways

pspfat

hey everybody 

i made a trumpet interchange video tutorial check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_t_Aj6UmjI

it's my first video online so it's not perfect

Thanks for watching ;)
my youtube channel: youtube.com/sc4lover

chadmichael03

Quote from: Tarkus on October 28, 2011, 11:39:56 PM
They're under Avenue/RHW Interfaces button on the Roads menu--same button as Avenue-over-RHW pieces, the Diverging Diamond and FlexSPUI.

-Alex
Thank you very much.  Somehow that's always the last place I look -- I just came here again because now I couldn't find the FlexSPUI.   :D