• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Language Modding

Started by earwax_man, December 21, 2010, 09:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

earwax_man

Hey guys,
I want to translate all of SimCity 4 into my native language (Irish Gaelic). I speak it fluently, so translations aren't a problem. But how do I edit SimCity 4 locales? Any tips? I have only created a new spashscreen so far:

I know I can edit SimCity 4 Locales and release as a dat file in plugins; but is there any other way of doing this? Anything to watch out for when modding it in iLives Reader?

I tried editing the locales once, and the text got all skewed and messed up. But I want to try it again. :D

I have experience with the reader since modding transit networks, but any help is useful.  :thumbsup:
Warning: This person may use sacasm, do not feed, touch, or provide fodder for his twisted sense of humour, doing so will result in sudden, disasterous outbreaks of sarcasm. You have been warned.

Visit my BAT thread!
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=9543.0

RippleJet

Quote from: earwax_man on December 21, 2010, 09:13:42 AM
I have experience with the reader since modding transit networks, but any help is useful.  :thumbsup:

Editing huge amounts of LTEXT files in Reader is not fun... ::)
E.g. due to the missing support for special characters and linebreaks...

I'd send wouanagaine a PM. ;)
He once made a small app for vil, who wanted to translate SimCityLocale.dat into his Czech language... :)

earwax_man

Thanks Ripplejet :D

Irish doesn't use any strange characters; just macrons áéíóú. And since those are already in French and such.... it should be possible enough to do. Czech has other language marks which could be troublesome for imput.

I have plenty of free time, so language translation for thousands of LTEXT files isn't too much of a hassle $%Grinno$%

When I get home, I'll try to do some more research on this type of modding.

And again, any help is useful for me!  :thumbsup:
Warning: This person may use sacasm, do not feed, touch, or provide fodder for his twisted sense of humour, doing so will result in sudden, disasterous outbreaks of sarcasm. You have been warned.

Visit my BAT thread!
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=9543.0