• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdly_dood

You should plop the GLR-ave station first then drag one-way-road over it in the direction that traffic should flow - this should enable it to work properly. ;)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Andreas

The GLR-in-Avenue station were modded with integrated bus stop because they are intended for urban areas, where space is tight. The key of every public transportation network is a proper bus network, and track-based networks (such as the trams) usually serve as some kind of main arteries. Since commuters can board both buses and trams at those stations, they won't work properly if your entire GLR network uses those GLR-in-Avenue puzzle pieces. Usually, the sims will board a bus anyway, so why should they switch between bus and tram if both are using the same way? The only way to make those stations working properly is adding some dedicated GLR lines as well, and preferrably make them a bit shorter than any road connection. Use the GLR-in-Avenue pieces only in tight downtown situations, like it is common in real life as well, and use dedicated GLR tracks in the suburbs, where you have enough room. This way, people who live next to a GLR station will board a tram, and people who live next to a bus stop will board a bus. Both can leave the buses and trams at those combined bus/GLR stations in your downtown, so you don't have to build separate bus stops and GLR stations.
Andreas

chibytuga

nerdly_dood: You mean click and drag the two tiles of one way road on either side within the station, right? I've tried that..

Andreas: I re-read my original post and I think I mis-explained. My problem isn't that people are choosing the buses over the GLR. I've been experimenting in my little town called Experimentville (where I go when I'm trying to figure out how this stuff works best) and I've got a setup where one station is the GLR-in-Avenue, and the other is a dedicated GLR line that branches off from the GLR-Avenue, and there's no other way to get between the two areas (one RES, the other IND). There's something about the station or how I've placed it that isn't letting traffic work. When I bulldoze that station and plop in the roundabout station though, it seems to recognize the station. It's odd...

Andreas

Well, what I say still applies - and it won't work properly in your experimental setup in particular. If the sims have the choice between bus and tram, they will take the bus in most cases, though this might depend on what traffic plugin you're using. The stations itself work fine, they just need a proper setup.
Andreas

chibytuga

Hmm, okay, let me try to attach a couple of pictures, which will show what's going on in a much less clumsy fashion than me explaining.

In the first one there I've got the GLR-in-Avenue station on one end, and the regular GLR station on the other end, and a bunch of houses with no jobs because the Sims inside can't figure out how to get to work. In the second one, I've got the roundabout station and it seems to be functioning fine.

I'm sure there's something really obvious I'm missing out on here.

Thanks for your help..

zakuten

I think your problem there is how the street runs alongside the avenue with station; if you remove that and make the street intersect with the puzzle piece, it might fix itself. I'm not sure if this is true, but I have a feeling pedestrians avoid undeveloped tiles, so maybe you should fill in the extra spaces with a few more houses.
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

Chrisim

@chibytuga I also noticed yesterday that something appears to be wrong with these stations in certain circumstances. I'll check. Please wait a bit.

Flash

According to Cleanitol I have 2 NAM related issues,

zzz_RHW_TUM_v2.05.dat &
NetworkAddonMod_ANT_Plugin_Beta.dat

What do I need to fix this?
As far as I know, NAM is up to date.

Tarkus

Cleanitol should have automatically removed both of those files, actually, so there's nothing you need to do on your end. ;)  It's just telling you what it got rid of.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Flash

Thanks for the replies.

It cleared up alot. I wasn't sure how cleanitol worked,

justatest

Hi there,

I had a look at my OWR lately (due to another post in another thread).

I notived the following (see attached pictures):
Picture 1. It seems not possible to turn right from OWR to road
Picture 2. There is a wrong path segment associated with 135° OWR intersections
Picture 3. The condition in picture 2 leads to the Sims driving in the wrong direction (in the segment between OWR coming from below to OWR leaving on the upper side).

I use the latest NAM (April 2008). Is there a fix for that?

Thank you.

Andreas

nerdly_dood

1. I think the place where the paths intersect is where they turn right - that is, they don't really turn there, they just switch paths.

2. That is indeed a problem... But at least it's not my fault Maxis had to keep up with EA's deadlines, if they had more time they could have found that and fixed it... But it's a very fixable problem, though, thanks to Daeley's path creator.

3. I recommend dragging one-way road over that intersection again in the direction you meant it to go, that should fix it.

My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

justatest

1. Yes, you're right. I verified with a traffic generator.

2. I will try to install Daeley's path creator - sometime (I don't have Java installed).

3. No, can't be fixed by dragging the OWR again. I also checked this with the traffic generator.

Thank you for your help!

choco

Swamper77

Talk to Alex (Tarkus) about it, as he is the most active NAM Team member and handles most of the file system for the NAM.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

sumwonyuno

Hello,

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before.  There is an issue with the puzzle pieces.  Specifically, the raised start/end and t and straight on-slope pieces for both road and one-way.  They are unable to rotate in specific directions, depending on which city edge I'm building on.

In this city tile, I'm unable to rotate the t on-slope piece to fill in the rest of the overpass.  But as you can see, its twin at the other end works.  In the next city tile, with the left edge of the map, the situation is reversed; the north t-slope doesn't work, but the south one does.  And yes, it is repeatable at any city tile edge for said puzzle pieces.  The puzzle pieces are fine if I use them one tile from the edge, but this is not "fixing" the problem.

And also, from the thread with z's traffic simulator, with the Sims turning into that dead-end street after exiting the highway:

I don't know why I haven't realized this earlier, but it seems that the problem is that there is no path that turns left from that left lane (from the Sims' perspective).  Only the right lane can turn left.  There doesn't seem to be any space for Sims coming off the highway to go into that right lane.

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

deathtopumpkins

I have both of those problems too... though I've just been unable to plop any puzzle-piece within 4 tiles of the city edge, even on flat ground, and I have the same problem with the cars entering dead-end streets, though I never thought to associate it with OWRs... and it's not your traffic simulator, sumwonyuno, as I have the same problem with A Easy.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

z

Here's another picture from my thread that sumwonyuno posted, showing everything working properly if he moves the off ramp back one tile:

If you compare this picture to the earlier one, you can see a difference that may be significant.  In the first picture, the sidewalk on the right actually intrudes over the road somewhat where it joins the street.  In the second picture, it doesn't.  This probably has something to do with the fact that in the first picture, the concrete barrier belonging to the off ramp goes right up to the sidewalk, while in the second picture, it doesn't.

BradySeitz

Hello all.

I do not know if this question has been answered. I have spent the last couple of days going over the forums and have not found an answer. I have the American version of SC4. I recently changed the coding to make the cars drive on the left hand side. It fascinated me while I was in England, but anyway. . . That all works dandy but the turning lanes are still set up on the right. I have uninstalled the NAM and all dependencies and such and reinstalled checking the full left hand version and adding or changing minor details. It installs the LHD plugin but the lanes still appear on the right.

I guess my real question is, Is there a way to get the left hand turning lanes on a game that comes from a right hand drive region? If there isn't that's fine. The cars use the turning lanes like normal, just the textures and placements are wrong.

If this has already been answered, I apologize. If there is a place out there to answer my question, could someone direct me there?

Thanks,

Brady