• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ladymame

I've installed the June 07 NAM, the NAM Essentials and the February 08 update as well as the Simulator A.  The problem is that all my vehicles keep disappearing when they reach an intersection, their destination or just in the middle of the road.  Sometimes they will turn at an intersection and keep going a short distance then fade away.  It's been a long time since I played last, but I remember the vehicles pulling into parking lots, going through intersections and toll booths, stopping at lights and then continuing, etc. I was warned that the Cleanitol which comes with the Simulator A might remove the automata files but they seem to be intact.   Can anyone shed some light on this problem or put forth some ideas to fiddle with to solve this?  Thanks.

Also, I'm confused about the Cleanitol programs.  I understand how they are supposed to work and their purpose.  What confuses me is that when I pull a download that is supposed to have a Cleanitol, the only thing I find is a list of files that the Cleanitol is supposed to remove. It originally was in the Simcity/Plugins but didn't seem to work so I moved it to My Documents/Simcity/Plugins...still didn't work, so I move it outside to the Program Files.  Perhaps I still have it in the wrong place?  When I try to run it from where it is now, I just comes up with a blank list.  Thanks again.

jplumbley

Quote from: Ladymame on March 06, 2008, 06:39:30 PM
I've installed the June 07 NAM, the NAM Essentials and the February 08 update as well as the Simulator A.  The problem is that all my vehicles keep disappearing when they reach an intersection, their destination or just in the middle of the road.  Sometimes they will turn at an intersection and keep going a short distance then fade away.  It's been a long time since I played last, but I remember the vehicles pulling into parking lots, going through intersections and toll booths, stopping at lights and then continuing, etc. I was warned that the Cleanitol which comes with the Simulator A might remove the automata files but they seem to be intact.   Can anyone shed some light on this problem or put forth some ideas to fiddle with to solve this?  Thanks.

In the Network Addon Mod folder of your Plugins, there should be a file named NetworkAddonMod_Automata_Plugin_*...  I have never really paid attention to Automata in game before, but I do know that it randomly disappears when the Automata reaches its time limit or destination.  In most cases it never reaches a destination because the timelife is not set high enough in the Vanilla game.  In some of the NAM Automata Plugins the life span has been extended but it will still cause it to disappear when it reaches the end of its lifespan.

Only lots that are Transit Enabled will allows for cars to enter the lot and drive around.  So, it depends which lots will do such a thing.

Also, I'm confused about the Cleanitol programs.  I understand how they are supposed to work and their purpose.  What confuses me is that when I pull a download that is supposed to have a Cleanitol, the only thing I find is a list of files that the Cleanitol is supposed to remove. It originally was in the Simcity/Plugins but didn't seem to work so I moved it to My Documents/Simcity/Plugins...still didn't work, so I move it outside to the Program Files.  Perhaps I still have it in the wrong place?  When I try to run it from where it is now, I just comes up with a blank list.  Thanks again.

The Cleanitol is a program that will take a *.txt document and read the contents of it.  The contents has the files names of all the files the creator wishes to remove from your plugins folder due to outdated files, conflicts etc.  I have never really used the Cleanitol because I maintain my plugins folder fairly regularily, so.. I cannot tell you how to physically use it, I just know how it works.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

RebaLynnTS

A few things in the cleanitol program could be a bit clearer, however ....
After starting the program, click the button maked "..."
This brings up a box that you use to find the cleanitol file supplied by the creator of the plugin you downloaded.
Next press the "locating files" button
This will create a list of things you don't need, or plugins that you do need.

To get rid of old files, click the "backup now" button.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Ladymame

Thanks to you both.  I got how to work the Cleanitol now, but I'm still confused somewhat.  I've deleted all NAM files and am reinstalling using the Cleanitol.  I've found my automata error and am preparing to fix it but need an answer.  If I choose any under Perfect Pathfinding, it will slow the game down a great deal.  If I find it's too slow, can I change after the fact to Better Pathfinding, or once my decision is made am I stuck unless I reinstall?

After running Cleanitol and choosing Locate Files, it runs down a list.  This is when I need to Backup Now.  I'm confused by a message at the bottom of the list that states I have all the required dependancies.  Does this just mean I'm in good shape, or are these the ones I want to remove to make way for updated ones?  Is there a different message for when you need to remove to backup?  Thanks. %confuso

Diggis

Yes perfect pathfinding will slow you game somewhat, depending on your computer.  You can change later with little problem.  It might take a while to update.  I would suggest that instead of those you look at JPlumbly's new traffic plugins which have better settings that the original NAM ones which are being Phased out.

Ladymame

If you mean the Simulator A and B from February 08, I have that.  I hope to install A.  I thought I needed to install the NAM June 07, the Essentials, Feburary Update and then Simulator A.

Diggis

jplumbley

Quote from: Ladymame on March 07, 2008, 08:39:10 AM
If you mean the Simulator A and B from February 08, I have that.  I hope to install A.  I thought I needed to install the NAM June 07, the Essentials, Feburary Update and then Simulator A.

If you plan to install these, do not use the Cleanitol, because by accident it will remove the Automata file aswell as the Traffic Plugin file.  What you will need to do is remove the NetworkAddonMod_Traffic_Plugin_* file that you installed with the NAM June 07 manually.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Crissa

Tarkus

Quote from: Crissa on March 07, 2008, 04:57:08 PM
The images in the thread header post are missing.

They have been for awhile now.  In fact, I'm not even sure what they were anymore. Oh well.  The old issue with the GLR Stations patch isn't that exciting to look at anyways. :D 

-Alex (Tarkus)

Crissa

Yeah, but I thought the idea was to make the thread re-usable.  Think someone could put in a snapshot of what good directory architecture looks like, or something?

-Crissa

j-dub

Okay guys, I was browsing sites, and came across this, ignoring the train crash in the picture, but looking to the left, where exactly is this network, is it NAM related? The one thing I'd like to know is that elevated avenue on the top left, what is that? Is it a different hwy, a bridge (I don't know where) or an unreleased prototype? I have never seen other pictures of this, but the one thing that concerns me, is the occasional double yellow markings on the avenue in the lower left corner. The 2 cars also appear to be on the wrong side of the median on the bottom left, even though traffic is coming the other way, but it appears to be right hand drive. Any ideas anyone? To be honest, there are alot of different network configurations in this pic, the one stop sign and cross hatch on the street, next to the elevated ave in the picture, but theres no street connecting to it. I'm confused. ()what()

Jonathan

I remember something about this picture, it was either a pre-release picture, for a CJ/MD, or obviously just plain fake.

But this is not a NAM picture.

Andreas

It's a promo pic for Rush Hour, distributed by EA, and obviously photoshopped. ;)
Andreas

dragonshardz

CasperVg

Yeah, it shows some real bad photoshopping. Take the road in the upper right hand corner, it doesn't follow the grid nor 45° at all, that bridgelike thing would be huge compared to SC4 scale, seeing as default NAM Overpasses are 15m high already... Not to mention the avenue-alike set of double roads...
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

TopCliff

All I can say to that pic is this: shoulda, coulda, didn't. If only EA cared about its fans . . .
Best movie of all time: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If you disagree, Cameron will send your car over a cliff.

Please, call me Leo.  I quote John Lennon now, a great musician and philosopher. Particularly, one of his songs: You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one.

Haljackey

Yes that pic was a promo for the Rush Hour expansion pack before it was released, j-dub.

Most games' inital screenshots look nothing like the end result, and SC4RH was no exception.

Heck, just take a look at this promo for the original SC4 before it was released.  Does the cloverleaf look like this now? What about the menu and the sidebar? It's just a prototype screenshot.

Best,
-Haljackey

j-dub

Good point with your pic Haljackey, maybe it was more it was incomplete than anything else with the same avatar being used, but the menu interface is almost  what we have now.