• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas

Not deleting - just move out everything else temporarily. If it works after that, move the files/folders back in one by one and test - until you found the problem.
Andreas

HandsOn

&apls Zo, ze new NAM is installed and vorks fine, ja. We haff to commend you young men, wery fine vork indeed!

But I did come across an oddity: no cause for alarm and easily rectified (see pic). But if you try to connect either two NAM highway pieces or a NAM piece and a standard piece and you try this with a single click, you get a strange effect. Demolishing and dragging a new, at least 32m long piece will fix it, though.

Also, in the new double-decker GLR/Road puzzle, there seems to be one crucial piece missing - although it may well be impossible to create it: if a road passes over a railway, there is no GLR/Road piece available and you have to either veer the road of and around (kind of exetended U) or - more space consuming) veer off the GLR. Wouldn't it be nice if...  :P

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

soulchaser

@andreas: ok...in fact i moved them temporarily to my rcycle bin;)....didn't solve the problem....so i'll try other ways this weekend......allowing bit by bit to load with the sc4 startupmanager....that will take a while

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

smoncrie

HandsOn,

I have seen this behavior with the Highway puzzle pieces, but if you move your cursor a bit, you should be able to get rid of it before you click or release your mouse button.

In part this is because I relaxed the rules so that it was possible to use the "T" Highway OnSlopes to span a single tile wide (e.g. rail) underpass or sunken network.

Double-decker puzzle pieces already use two networks.  There is no known way to add a third network (like rail) without undesirable side effects.

Haljackey

Okay, I have found a few minor bugs with the new NAM so far.  Although, it might just me, because of the other files I am using.

1.  UDI/visuals for one way road over diagonal ground highway is not functioning.  Cars are just vanishing when they hit this puzzle piece either on the ground highway or on the raised one way road.  However, it is still functional on the traffic query.  I have tried replacing this overpass several times and the same problem results.
-I am not sure if this is happening on other raised puzzle pieces, but it is for this particular one.

2.  I am having some texture problems with the double raised monorail puzzle pieces.  I am using the bullet train skin for the monorail network, but the texture reverts to monorail for the double overpass.  Is there any way I can override this?

3.  In the NAM file you have stated that the "Shadow" on the on-slope ground/elevated highway puzzle piece was corrected.  This is true, however I am using the asphalt highway texture for my ground/elevated highways.  From certain camera angles, the concrete texture appears on both orthogonal and diagonal pieces, but look normal from other angles.  However, the new gentle ground highway curve accepts the asphalt texture without any visual glitches. 

If you need visuals for any of the issues above, I can gladly provide them.
-That's all the problems I have found with the new NAM at first glance. 

You guys really outdid yourselves, you know that?  I really didn't expect curved ground highways and a roundabout with both GLR AND elevated highway pass through it.  The double height puzzle pieces also make a big change to transit setups.  You are masters of your domain, and you never seem to run out of ideas.   :thumbsup:

Best,
-Haljackey 

smoncrie

Haljackey,

On first look it seems that the paths are missing for the one-way over diagonal ground highway puzzle piece.  Sorry.  :thumbsdown:

I have been away from SimCity for a while, so I do not know about the bullet train skin,  but I suspect that it will need to be up dated to include the new puzzle pieces.

I have attached a file that will allow you to use asphalt highway textures on the highway OnSlopes.   Extract the folder and put it in your Plugin directory.   Make sure that this folder still contains zzzAsphalt-HW-OnSlope_ColourFix.dat

HandsOn

Quote from: smoncrie on April 25, 2008, 11:04:18 AM
HandsOn,

I have seen this behavior with the Highway puzzle pieces, but if you move your cursor a bit, you should be able to get rid of it before you click or release your mouse button.
No worries, here, it is toooo eaasy to correct, and once you know what to expect it can be avoided.

As for GLR networks, single or otherwise, I do have two questions:
1) the dragable GLR doesn't, at least not for me. But I may do something wrong: placing the starter piece, then drag; drag while placing - all I get is the starter piece, nothing else.
2) since NAM underwent major revisions, does that mean all current NAM-compatible GLR stations need to be updated??

Oh, yes, one other thing, absolutely minor: when you use the BSC DL Utility, the NAM Additions are listed as 2007 - as is the .ZIP, so you only know you've got the right one whence you open it..  :thumbsup:

Jonathan

HandsOn: You plop the starter piece, then drag el-rail from it and the el-rail converts to GLR. If you use the SAM or RHW then it is like that expect with El-rail instead of Street/ANT.

The GLR stations should not need updateing as far as I know.

Glad see people enjoying the NAM. :)

Andreas

Quote from: HandsOn on April 25, 2008, 02:16:06 PM
Oh, yes, one other thing, absolutely minor: when you use the BSC DL Utility, the NAM Additions are listed as 2007 - as is the .ZIP, so you only know you've got the right one whence you open it..  :thumbsup:

This might be a weird glitch that is caused by the method we had to update the file at the LEX - since it exceeds the 10 MB limit, it was uploaded manually, so the filename might have reverted to "2007" by the LEX software. As long as the installer itself shows "April 2008", you have the correct file.
Andreas

HandsOn

Quote from: Warrior on April 25, 2008, 02:23:58 PM
HandsOn: You plop the starter piece, then drag el-rail from it and the el-rail converts to GLR. If you use the SAM or RHW then it is like that expect with El-rail instead of Street/ANT.

The GLR stations should not need updateing as far as I know.

Glad see people enjoying the NAM. :)
Thanks. Enjoying is the modus operandi here - I am not as excised about it as everyone else seems to be. But then I don't even know I had ANT's in SC4 - but why not, there's many a strange beasts stalking these here woods. Oh, yes, now I remember - I did see the ANT icon once - when I first installed NAM, about three years ago. Never seen it since - don't know what it does. Should I now worry..??

kassarc16

I believe the ANT has been absorbed completely by the RHW mod and isn't part of the base NAM anymore.

soulchaser

aaaahhh...found the disturbing plugin...hidden and forgotten RHWv12

thanks everybody....
great job guys &apls

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

Haljackey

Quote from: smoncrie on April 25, 2008, 01:00:30 PM
Haljackey,

On first look it seems that the paths are missing for the one-way over diagonal ground highway puzzle piece.  Sorry.  :thumbsdown:

I have been away from SimCity for a while, so I do not know about the bullet train skin,  but I suspect that it will need to be up dated to include the new puzzle pieces.

I have attached a file that will allow you to use asphalt highway textures on the highway OnSlopes.   Extract the folder and put it in your Plugin directory.   Make sure that this folder still contains zzzAsphalt-HW-OnSlope_ColourFix.dat

Thanks a lot for the reply!  Any chance of a "patch" or something that will fix the one-way over diagonal ground highway puzzle piece?  I actually use it quite a bit.   :P

About the bullet train skin, no worries.  I downloaded it from a Japanese site (I cannot remember which).  Up to now it worked with new NAM components all the time (excluding the RHW).  But I guess not this time.  I'll see what I can do about it. 

Thanks for the file too!  That fix will come in handy!

If I find out anything other issues with the NAM, I will let you know.  Thanks again!   &apls

Best,
-Haljackey

ebina

Quote from: Haljackey on April 25, 2008, 11:16:07 AM
1.  UDI/visuals for one way road over diagonal ground highway is not functioning.  Cars are just vanishing when they hit this puzzle piece either on the ground highway or on the raised one way road.  However, it is still functional on the traffic query.  I have tried replacing this overpass several times and the same problem results.
-I am not sure if this is happening on other raised puzzle pieces, but it is for this particular one.
They are working in the LHD version. This time we moved all paths which will only be used in the LHD version to the LHD plugin. Paths for reversed one way road tiles are assigned similar IIDs to the other LHD paths, we moved those paths by mistake. Sorry for the inconvenience. We'd have to re-check every one way road item carefully.

Quote from: Haljackey on April 25, 2008, 11:16:07 AM
2.  I am having some texture problems with the double raised monorail puzzle pieces.  I am using the bullet train skin for the monorail network, but the texture reverts to monorail for the double overpass.  Is there any way I can override this?
I think you are talking about APTX's Shinkansen Mod.  As smoncrie said, such modds need special 3D models designed for that mod to replace existent 3D models, so they will not cover the new tiles automatically.

HandsOn

The wonders of NAM never cease to amaze me: I thought I'll try rail under road, usefull in a tight spot in front of the down airport - now the trains run a hectic pace: in circles! What a blast.

But seriously: will there be a mod that rids us entirely of the one-way arrows?? I used to have one, but of course it no longer works, and the updated Euro Textures reintroduced them with a vengance. NAM allows me to reduce them - but I don't want to see them at all.

JoeST

LOL that is pretty silly HandsOn... that is an unusual one...
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

HandsOn

Quote from: star.torturer on April 26, 2008, 12:04:42 AM
LOL that is pretty silly HandsOn... that is an unusual one...
You could actually use that feature to provide a local rail link around the city. Much like some cities have a special airport train (Shanghai's Maglev comes to mind)..  ::)

Andreas

Quote from: HandsOn on April 25, 2008, 07:00:46 PM
But seriously: will there be a mod that rids us entirely of the one-way arrows?? I used to have one, but of course it no longer works, and the updated Euro Textures reintroduced them with a vengance. NAM allows me to reduce them - but I don't want to see them at all.

Well, in some cases, the direction of a OneWay Road can reverse by accident, and without the arrows, you don't have any chance to notice it. The arrow reduction plugins have been designed with this in mind. I haven't checked if the old mod that completely eliminates the arrows still works properly, but it should if you don't install the arrow reduction plugins and the small mod from the Euro Road Textures Mod that changes the double arrow to a single one.
Andreas

HandsOn

Quote from: Andreas on April 26, 2008, 05:29:24 AM
Well, in some cases, the direction of a OneWay Road can reverse by accident, and without the arrows, you don't have any chance to notice it. The arrow reduction plugins have been designed with this in mind. I haven't checked if the old mod that completely eliminates the arrows still works properly, but it should if you don't install the arrow reduction plugins and the small mod from the Euro Road Textures Mod that changes the double arrow to a single one.
There's a - I believe built-into SC4 - simple way to avoid confusion: if you connect an additional stretch of one-way the right way around, the entire stretch of one-way lights up. Besides, during plopping, the construction vehicles face in the direction of the one-way.

All that aside, let me recap to see if I understand this correctly: I need to remove the the one-way mod of the Euro Road Textures, and remove the installed NAM one-way reduction DAT. That will mean that the No One-Way Arrows mod I already have will come again into effect?

Thanks for your help, Andreas.

JoeST

Quote from: star.torturer on February 03, 2008, 09:23:07 AM
I dont know what others think of this but I would suggest that the NAM board be reorganised.

A proposed Board/Thread Layout (provisional)(boards in Bold)

NAM Place

-NAM Creations

-RHW & MIS Development

Hope to hear from people about this

Joe
Remembering this just a while ago I thought I might ask again... as the number of stikied topics in your CREATIONS board is quite large (11!!) with four of them being non developmental threads.... they shouldnt really go under the creations thread but in the teams place board, one board above it (you know, the one thats empty at the moment) as well as all the threads not relating to new creations (eg RHW neighboring city connections). I dont mean create another sub board with all the help threads in, just use the space you have already, kinda where this stuff is sposed to be anyway.

and tbh its quite a little fib you have if you think that your board doesnt get enough traffic to warrant splitting things up...being that the lowest view count on any thread in your forum is 132 and there has been nearly 1000 views on the April 08 Release thread... its been out for under 3 days!

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms