• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Prop Pox!

Started by snorrelli, May 03, 2007, 08:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

then I would venture to say shardz that is not the prop pox but a mere graphic glitch then any thing... So rest assured your safe from the prop pox shardz...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dragonshardz

yes, I knew that Pat.  :D Just noticing that the Prop Pox seems to be a more....shall we say, permanent version of this prerender-wave glitch.

considering my 2+ GB of plugins, If it hasn't happened yet it's not likely to!

~~Dragonshardz~~

BarbyW

A quick report back that the missing props are there in their full glory in other regions. It just seems to have affected this region for some reason best known to itself. It's a pity as this the region I am playing for mrbisonm's regional play at Simtrop.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

wouanagaine

Does the missing prop only affect the mayor house ?

You can try removing examplars from savegame files

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

BarbyW

No, it doesn't only affect the mayor's house but all Maxis rewards - churches, city hall etc - and custom lots that use Maxis props and textures. It is odd as it some of the props like the flower beds show on some lots but not others. I am beginning to wonder if it is related to the patchwork we did and it will take time to undo that in the savegames.

Diggis

Did you not back up?  ;)

BarbyW

Yes I did but I haven't needed the back up as the props are magically back again. I have no idea why they went or why they reappeared but they did and they have.

Diggis

They found out they were dealing with a goddess and got scared.   $%Grinno$%

I'm not going to question your eyesight.  :P

Pat

LoL Diggis that is it the game found out it was messing with the goddess so it decided to correct itself lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

BruceAtkinson

Hi Everyone....
    Just went in to Wesley, after all this time....and of course, Prop-pox is still plagueing this city, and as we all know, only this city.  However I have noticed a couple of things which I haven't posted before....one is odd, and has been happening since I discovered the pox in Wesley.  When a city is about to fully load, we hear certain sounds just prior to the full load...in Wesley, I hear the sound of waves, which is odd, as Wesley is an inland city and no shore line in existence....
  Second, yesterday and today I have been building the new Newman Oil Refinery in Wesley.  Yesterday I plopped the Main Refinery, the Seperator lot and the Heat Exchange building.  This morning, when I went in to Wesley, Prop-pox did its damage to the three lots.....I decided to bulldoze them and re-plop.  I noticed when I did this, that in a brief second, when I bulldozed the lots, all the props appeared before the dust plume happened.  So this got me wondering if for some reason the Prop-pox is actually a glitch in the City Detail mode.
Bruce

wouanagaine

Interesting Bruce

That would means the props are still there in the savegame, but with some tweaking preventing them to be display, all props for all lots have a flag telling in which zoom level they can be displayed ( the 2nd or 3rd rep in the LotConfig property ), it may happen that this flag is zeroed

Another explanation can be when you bulldoze a lot, the game reload the lot and display the explosion effect from it

As for the sound I have no idea

If only I had time, I'll spend some in decyphering the savegame part of props :(

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

BruceAtkinson

...just one more thing, I do not think I have mentioned this to anyone before, however in my case anyway, all the lots that are aflicted with Prop-pox do not lose their functionability.  When I query, they are operating fine, doesn't matter what it is...a bus stop, building commercial or otherwise...so that leads me to think that nothing is altered in the model, just the outward props....
Bruce

BruceAtkinson

....While playing Wesley this morning, I had a fire in the Main Newman refinery....here is a picture of the refinery after the fire....over 50% of the missing props re-appeared!
   I will send an additional post showing the Separator building, which shows missing props, and how the Main Refinery looked prior to the fire
Bruce

BruceAtkinson

...here is the second picture:

wouanagaine

Damn, very strange, I'm clueless

New Horizons Productions

BruceAtkinson

...so, I'm going to do a little experiment.  When in Wesley next, I'm going to snap some pics of areas afflicted by the prop-pox and then set a couple of fires, put it out and if the same thing happens, take pictures of the restored or partially restored lots....and if this proves significant, I'll post them here....if not, well, I'll just re-plop the lots....and that is another thing, in Wesley, most of the lots that are afflicted are ploppable ones...maybe that is another clue.
Bruce

BruceAtkinson

....well, my experiment did not yield anything new, other than reveal my firefighting skills need to be improved, so I have sent the whole Wesley Fire Department to "SC4Devotion School for Firefighters"!  ;D
   I set a couple of fires on the Separator Building and it burned to the ground!  I tried the New World Court House, and the same thing...my engines didn't get there in time!, so it burnt as well.....so obviously I have to 'bone-up' on my design of Fire Stations and where they are placed within the city...which is a totally different subject than the prop-pox!
   However, that sound of waves that I mentioned in a previous post was heard everytime on the lots that burnt...which is odd.
   I did notice something that may be related, though....the game slowed done quite intensely and I had to go and do something, so I was on Zoom 4, and saved the game....when I came back, the game was still saving....after an hour it was still saving, so I knew something was wrong, so I dumped out of it, forceably.....haven't been in it since, so not sure if the city is corrupted or just at the previous save point.....I'll keep everyone posted.
Bruce

BruceAtkinson

...ok, so now I know why I haven't been in Wesley for a good long time!  It is just too frustrating and discouraging, as prop-pox is so widespread....looking over a nice rural area of the city, with some upper class homes and nicely treed streets, and then come across a bus stop, park and mansion that are missing 70% of their props! :(
  I think I was deluding myself when I thought, no problem-just replop and keep going, however because it is so wide spread, I would be spending all of my time just making the corrections, and only having to do so again the next time I enter the city!
  So I am almost at the point of dumping the city and starting from scratch....as I have the 'virgin' region in a back up, so I may just go in to the virgin region, name the area Wesley again, and re-introduce it to the developed region....I am not there yet...but close.
  It's a shame, as Wesley has developed into a very nice Urban/Rural area, with rolling meadows and expansive farms in one area, and a metro looking dynamic city in another portion...and of course, I'm a stubborn person, and do not want to admit defeat.....
  Thanks for listening!
  Bruce

j-dub

I had this happen to me too. I guess if you build up a large tile too much, it stops saving some props and textures. It got so irritaiting having to redraw and replop forgotten networks all the time, I obliterated the city with the issue, and had to start over, but this time, I left a lot of open space, so it wouldn't have this issue again. The one lot I noticed still has half of the textures missing, no matter which city its in. The good thing about starting over, is taking advantage of new transit networks.

BruceAtkinson

....Hi everyone, here I am just thinking again...which by the way, could be dangerous!
Anyway...knowing that there is a good number of us plagued with the Pox....would it be beneficial to setting up a test region, and importing our afflicted cities?  In this way, we could monitor the behaviour and analyze the cities and possibly get closer to a cure.
Bruce