• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

What do modders use to create new buildings

Started by doug_wesson, April 14, 2023, 08:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug_wesson

GMax3 is no longer a supported product. So what do modders use to create new buildings for use in lots

mgb204

gMax, supported or otherwise it's the only real option these days. A google search will easily locate the installer and instructions to activate it now the official route is gone.

In order to export models in SC4 format, you must have special scripts, SC4 does not use full 3D models. SC4BAT is essentially these scripts for gMax, the equivalent for 3DS Max exists in the form of BAT4Max but there is a problem...

Autodesk (who produce 3DS Max), do not sell their software other than through SAAS (i.e. renting it). You are also forced to upgrade constantly, the oldest version you can ever use is 3 versions or so from the current release. So in 2023, this is a problem, because in the 2018 version support for Mental Ray rendering was dropped, however the BAT4Max scripts were designed for this only. As it stands any version after the 2018 release can not export models for SC4 any more. Unless someone is able to update the scripts to support the newer Arnold renderer, or you can get hold of a compatible legacy version of 3DS Max, this option is off the table.

In theory any 3D modelling app with the right scripts could be made to work. However as of this moment no such scripts exist, so most folks really are stuck with a hideously out of date piece of software as the only viable option.

doug_wesson

Hi MGB I have GMAX3 and a key from back in 2018 but when I got to install it and use that key is says it is no longer a valid key. Now Autodesk do not support GMAX# anymore so you cannot get a new key

mgb204

Quote from: mgb204 on April 15, 2023, 03:50:54 AMA google search will easily locate the installer and instructions to activate it now the official route is gone.

Really the only way now.

doug_wesson

I thank you sir, you truly are a scholar and a gentleman