• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How do i import models in BAT?

Started by MaxlMantis, October 05, 2009, 03:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxlMantis

Anyone knows how i can import models in BAT
is it possible to get a library for gmax by downloading models
i heard u can open any model for gmax and use parts of it

is there a library for it?

j-dub

I am responding with my experience of importing other 3D models into BAT gmax. I do not consider myself a pro at the program, but I have used it enough to tell you, it really depends. There are just so many file types for these 3D models. So, since you have gmax, I think your strictly limited to .3ds models, and only some of these seem to import to the BAT gmax, and your also limited to existing gmax models. There are other model conversions to have other models show in gmax, but unless you know how to be a cyberspace pirate, you have to pay for other conversions, or programs. Plain Max, which sometimes is what other BATters are using, those form of models just do not work for me in gmax. In BAT, under file, then under import, there will be options of what you can import, but the imported stuff, may have different rules on how it can be textured.

Now, if you go to the turbosquid website, http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/tree-3ds-free/480746
-there are some interesting 3ds items there, gmax can import, like the tree above, incase you haven't already, this is where some of us SC4 players have gotten our goods.

(P.S. If your serious about that tree, I would get it for free, before there is a price on it.)

gottago

j-dub is right--importing is restricted to other gmax files; even 3ds is blocked by default, I believe. Here is a link http://pages.videotron.com/browser/ to a site where you can download a free script to enable importing .3ds files easily.

btw j-dub--thanks for the link; that's a nice tree!

MaxlMantis

first of all thank u both very much for your help!

@ gottago
the link on digitalarenas i dont find perhaps u can PM me

@j-dub awesome i didnt came over this part of turbosquid
so i know now how to get some files for gmax

Should i get me a 3D StudioMax

i already have the google sketchup

does it make sense to buy a 3d software or should i keep batting with gmax?

thx

mrbisonm

Quote from: MaxlMantis on October 06, 2009, 05:38:09 AM

Should i get me a 3D StudioMax
i already have the google sketchup
does it make sense to buy a 3d software or should i keep batting with gmax?

thx

3D Max you will find a little expensive if you only use it for SC4, also it is more complicated, as it seems to me.
Google Sketchup I don't think can produce files to import to gmax, unless I am wrong. Besides, quality is ....well.....not satisfactory.
Gmax is a freeware and a darn good one if you can consider what you can do with it. Most of us here use it and if you look on the STEX, many excellent BATs have been made with Gmax.

Good luck

mrb ;)

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

gottago

Sorry for the dead link; I pulled it from the old readme for the script and that site is inactive. I edited my post with the correct link, so try it again. Sorry for the oversight.

And considering the resolution of SC4, gmax/BAT does fine, though it has limitations with transparency and import/export that studiomax handles easily, but 3DS is over $1000 just for the student version, so stay with gmax unless you're well off or really into 3d modeling.

MaxlMantis

take a look @ Beutelschlurfs BAT Werkstatt
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7032.0;topicseen

he says he makes the models with google sketchup and renders them with cinema 4d or something like that

his models are not my style but very impressing
so i try to get the key of going better with gmax

1000€ euro for the student version

i thought its about 700€...

thx for the link!

MaxlMantis

Diggis

GMAX can import 3DS files by default, it can't EXPORT files by default and needs scripts for it.