• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link2012

Hmmm... Thanks for the help  ;)

txrailcat74

Quote from: Priotess on July 23, 2011, 07:25:21 PM
Quote from: Tarkus on July 23, 2011, 07:05:14 PM
Quote from: Priotess on July 23, 2011, 06:53:26 PM
Hi, i downoaded this mod, and im new to this forum so im still confused as to where to post. But im getting these white squares on the SAM Roads. I think its because of a missing texture. Can someone point me in the right direction? Love the roads tho

First off, welcome to SC4D, Priotess!

The white square was initially seen as a bug, but we decided to leave it like that so as to inform the user that they should bulldoze that tile to eliminate the puzzle-piece obstruction there, leaving the starter.  So it's actually supposed to be like that.  :D

Hope that helps.

-Alex

Yeah it has helped!, Thanks a mill, now i can start using them country style roads for my farmlands  :satisfied:

Ohh noes, somthing is wrong with the transision of the roads. Someone care to explain whats going off? Thanks again.

Here is something I think you will like, Priotess. SAM Stopper. I use them and they are great.

Kitsune

seeing as to how the NWM (specifically ARD-3 and AVE-2) can intersect with there base network (road)... why cant sam do the same thing? Is it just because it would be too much work?
~ NAM Team Member

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Kitsune on August 07, 2011, 07:21:07 AM
seeing as to how the NWM (specifically ARD-3 and AVE-2) can intersect with there base network (road)... why cant sam do the same thing? Is it just because it would be too much work?

It's actually quite possible for SAM networks to intersect with their base network and other SAMs. It's just that the coding for such is not in place, and there hasn't been much work on the SAM for some time, other than a bit of RHWxSAM crossings and overpasses.

Trivia: Early into development, the NWM networks were once like that; They would override every connecting stretch of Road, like SAM networks currently do to Streets.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

jondor

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on August 07, 2011, 07:47:22 AM
Quote from: Kitsune on August 07, 2011, 07:21:07 AM

It's actually quite possible for SAM networks to intersect with their base network and other SAMs. It's just that the coding for such is not in place, and there hasn't been much work on the SAM for some time, other than a bit of RHWxSAM crossings and overpasses.

Trivia: Early into development, the NWM networks were once like that; They would override every connecting stretch of Road, like SAM networks currently do to Streets.

The RULs as currently written spread the network through intersections in all directions.  They would need to be rewritten to allow intersections between the networks as well as having textures created to deal with all the different possible junctions.  I don't know if that's likely to happen or not.  Also, as we've found with the diagonal intersections on the NWM, they can be tough customers to deal with when it comes to overrides, so if we had the resources and time to change the SAM right now (and we don't sadly), it would probably be limited to orthogonal intersections only for a while.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

MandelSoft

Also, the streets often show a somewhat annoying auto-connect behavior, making it nearly impossible to make such overrides.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

carlfatal

Hi,
only a little question:
i´ve made a set of overlays from the SAM cobble work street. Now i see some people requested for this. It was not much work, but i would love to share it with the community. What have i to do for?
The set consists of every texture without sidewalks.
Thanks in advance, Carl

Will12

In the SAM what happened to set 6 or was ther even one?

jdenm8

SAM Set 6 was the Draggable BSC Paths. I believe it was not ready when the SAM was released, so it was omitted.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

I think jplumbley had originally put BSC Draggable Paths on a higher set number than 6.  There were plans in place to have the SFBT Sand Paths be Set 6, but that never came to fruition, and jplumbley retired from modding in 2009.

There's been a few other sets intermittently started since then.  One of them was the "Klinker" Streets which squidi started, and jplumbley had gotten a fair bit into extending.  I actually happened to have a lot of jplumbley's old working files on that set laying around still, and was able to piece enough together to get it working.

That pic is from August of last year.  I can't remember how far I really got with it.  I haven't really had the time to work on it any further since then, and the SAM is essentially a "tangential project" at this point.  We have an additional 6 starter pieces that were made in preparation for the canceled SAM V4 release, too.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

What's your view on the tar-sealed streets? Would you include them if there was enough space?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

vortext

Quote from: Tarkus on January 22, 2012, 09:24:01 PM
We have an additional 6 starter pieces that were made in preparation for the canceled SAM V4 release, too.

&hlp I kinda hate to ask again but I could use some more help, still haven't been able to get a starter piece to work  :'(
Also, I wouldn't mind working on some new and/or old SAM texture sets, I think they make a small but great addittion to the game.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on January 23, 2012, 01:45:13 PM
What's your view on the tar-sealed streets? Would you include them if there was enough space?

I'd say it'd be a possibility.  I know rivit had been in talks with Diggis about contributing his sets as new SAM sets, but he then released them instead as replacement sets for existing ones.

Quote from: vortext on January 23, 2012, 03:29:41 PM
Quote from: Tarkus on January 22, 2012, 09:24:01 PM
We have an additional 6 starter pieces that were made in preparation for the canceled SAM V4 release, too.

&hlp I kinda hate to ask again but I could use some more help, still haven't been able to get a starter piece to work  :'(
Also, I wouldn't mind working on some new and/or old SAM texture sets, I think they make a small but great addittion to the game.

You'd probably need a few additional files and a controller designed to handle the new sets in order to access them.  I'd be happy to set you up with those files.

-Alex

vortext

Quote from: Tarkus on January 23, 2012, 06:09:46 PM
You'd probably need a few additional files and a controller designed to handle the new sets in order to access them.  I'd be happy to set you up with those files.

I figured and for a while messed around with the controller and RUL files et al. but alas, couldn't wrap my head around that stuff. So yes, if you could set me up for additional SAM starter pieces & corresponding files, I would be very happy, to say the least.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Lowkee33

One idea for SAM, perhaps the next SAM release could have empty starter pieces in the tab ring, even if only one.  This way someone could make a complete set and release it without having to pick which one to override.

Tarkus

Quote from: Lowkee33 on January 24, 2012, 01:56:07 PM
One idea for SAM, perhaps the next SAM release could have empty starter pieces in the tab ring, even if only one.  This way someone could make a complete set and release it without having to pick which one to override.

I like that idea.  I think the hesitation had been about including starters without textures on them and the potential for tech support issues, but the way the existing SAM file architecture is set up (including a rather clever LTEXT setup that jplumbley designed), there's already somewhat of a precendent of a way to accomplish that.

-Alex

gn_leugim

that would be nice. I have a SAM set almost complete (just lack the diagonals and some transitions). It would be nice to add it to SAM without having to replace one of the existing sets

noahclem

Clever idea! Good luck with the SAM sets guys, both would certainly be nice  :thumbsup:

[Delta ²k5]

Sounds great! Maybe someone could try to make a SAM - version out of the airport roads... we would only need a building / piece of terminal that emits cars and buses (maybe with special cars, trucks and airport buses that use some IDs not used in standard traffic so they only appear on the airport) and a TE - lot of the jetway extension :D

The textures are there... I think it only would leak a starter piece! :thumbsup:

MandelSoft

We could just use "dummy" textures for the other SAM sets when these textures are not occupied yet. In this way, we achieve three things:
1. Having all 16 SAM sets available.
2. Completing/making a SAM set is just a matter of adding textures.
3. "Under the hood", all SAM sets will be the same, making completion of a SAM set easier.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE