• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

Yep, like jdenm8 already stated it looks like everything is working like it's supposed to. Just plop one starter piece and drag the street [alt+r] from the side without the white texture. Once the street spans 5 tiles or more you can safely bulldoze the starter piece all together. 

funny coincedence btw, I'm working on a city with the same name  ;)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

jdenm8

To aid you, I have created this step-by-step photographic guide.

1. Place the SAM Starter.

2. Select the Street tool.

3. Drag the Street tool from the non-white end of the starter piece to your desired length.

4. Release.

5. Demolish the starter piece when you have a sufficiently long section of overridden street.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

mike3775

You better save  :)

Seriously this is a good thing to have posted in this thread, I'm surprised there hasn't been a guide like this already made)

Gul Dukat

YES!!! Now I get it :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot to you guys!
Valeu!

teddyrised

It is probably a good idea to add that the network override is only stable when it's more than 6 tiles long :) Or else, the street texture will simply revert to the Maxis default.

GDO29Anagram

People always say to remove the whole starter; I actually advise against that. The SAM's starters were always a bit weird in the sense that the oddly-coloured tile is the only tile you should ever demolish. That's how you get overrides that span less than 5-6 tiles.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

vortext

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on June 18, 2012, 11:51:18 AM
People always say to remove the whole starter; I actually advise against that. The SAM's starters were always a bit weird in the sense that the oddly-coloured tile is the only tile you should ever demolish. That's how you get overrides that span less than 5-6 tiles.

While that's true keep in mind residential will not grow on that one tile left from the starter piece and it can't be used for intersections. Apart from that, I use this method a lot for making 2/3 tile SAM streets inbetween wide curves.
time flies like a bird

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: vortext on June 18, 2012, 11:57:15 AM
While that's true keep in mind residential will not grow on that one tile left from the starter piece and it can't be used for intersections.

I think you might RUL-1 or RUL-2 it so that you can...

Additionally, zoning does grow on the starters, so long as the tile is made from something that does enable zoning.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

jondor

Realistically speaking, the reason that removing the SAM starters used to be a bad idea was because the RUL-2 code was pretty skimpy and a lot of tight patterns (which would be relatively common in winding neighborhoods) would come crashing down and leave you with vanilla streets.

With the current controller and the vast amount of stabilization I added, it shouldn't be much of an issue anymore as long as you have at least 5 or 6 continuous street tiles (and they don't even have to be in a straight line most of the time).
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Indiana Joe

One thing that has always bugged me was the diagonal streets.  Those can be a pain.  Especially if you're trying to use wide curves from the RRP.  I know SAM has taken a back seat to RHW and NWM, but improvements on it would be much appreciated.  Like filler pieces for diagonal streets and such.

vortext

Quote from: Indiana Joe on June 18, 2012, 02:56:01 PM
Especially if you're trying to use wide curves from the RRP.  I know SAM has taken a back seat to RHW and NWM, but improvements on it would be much appreciated.  Like filler pieces for diagonal streets and such.

The Rural Roads Plugin comes with diagonal filler pieces for the 3 SAM types included, you do know that right?! Of course every SAM type should have proper wide curves imho, in addition to all the standard tiles since there're still textures missing for diagonal intersections, roundabouts and the large corner squares. Not to mention all the crossings with STR / GLR and the like.   ::)

time flies like a bird

Tarkus

Quote from: vortext on June 18, 2012, 03:27:51 PM
Of course every SAM type should have proper wide curves imho, in addition to all the standard tiles since there're still textures missing for diagonal intersections, roundabouts and the large corner squares. Not to mention all the crossings with STR / GLR and the like.   ::)

Well, thankfully, we have the MORPH curve models . . . just have to apply SAM textures to them. ;)  And yes, better crosslinking is one of the main priorities across the board.  I started getting more in place on the SAM a couple years ago (including the GLR crossings, and NWM intersections), but never finished that project.

-Alex

Indiana Joe

Yes, I knew their were fillers for the SAM textures, I meant fillers for the default streets.

And from the way Alex described it, sounds like you guys can throw in a few SAM improvements for the next NAM release with minimal effort.  Please consider it!

JayStimson

The pieces I'm waiting for is the diagonal PEG dirt street across the standard heavy rail line.
This would really be nice in rural areas. Otherwise, I think this whole SAM thing was a great creation.
Freedom is never free.

Diggis

Quote from: JayStimson on July 05, 2012, 07:27:49 AM
The pieces I'm waiting for is the diagonal PEG dirt street across the standard heavy rail line.
This would really be nice in rural areas. Otherwise, I think this whole SAM thing was a great creation.

I don't have time to hunt for it, but I thought that piece was added to this thread somewhere as a patch.

jondor

Quote from: JayStimson on July 05, 2012, 07:27:49 AM

Check the first post, there is an attachment at the bottom which contains the missing textures.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Tarkus

To my knowledge, that one went into NAM Hotfix Package 301, too.

-Alex

estevesbk

Guys, I need your help please... SAM is just not working for me. I've been away from SC4 for 1-2 years. Installed the full latest NAM, installed SAM on the default location (inside NAM folder on plugins), but when I press TAB key, it doesn't change the street style. I select "street" on the menu, and press TAB... But doesn't change anything, it's like the Mod isn't even installed. So far I could install back all my Mods except SAM...

Anyone to help, please?

Thanks!  :)

vortext

Quote from: estevesbk on August 24, 2012, 01:42:39 PM
I select "street" on the menu, and press TAB... But doesn't change anything, it's like the Mod isn't even installed.

So the SAM starter piece icon isn't showing? That would be odd. Just to be sure (and while at risk of being captain obvious) but you should first select the SAM starter pieces, than select the street tool to drag it out.
time flies like a bird

z

The SAM pieces aren't at the same location as the normal street.  They have an icon that looks like the end of a street with an arrow on it.