• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadeSlayer

Tarkus

Quote from: ShadeSlayer on November 14, 2010, 04:56:26 PM
How do I finish this intersection?

Build a standard, draggable Avenue/Road T-intersection first.  Then place the TuLEP Avenue Type A/Road Type A T-Intersection piece directly over top of the intersection, followed by the slip lane pieces and finish off with the standard Avenue and Road Type A pieces.

-Alex

ShadeSlayer

Quote from: Tarkus on November 14, 2010, 05:46:02 PM
Build a standard, draggable Avenue/Road T-intersection first.  Then place the TuLEP Avenue Type A/Road Type A T-Intersection piece directly over top of the intersection, followed by the slip lane pieces and finish off with the standard Avenue and Road Type A pieces.

-Alex
That would make a left turn lane, though, wouldn't it?

ShadeSlayer

magalenin

Hello

I built an entire region before I found NAM. After I installed it, most of my cities' budgets went negative. Because of the new traffic control system, roads and everything else is green/low congestion now, but, mass transit fares reduced largely. I tried to find some solution, here and simtropolis too. I'd like to ask if there is any solution for increase the fares, or these "pre-NAM" cities can't work properly with the new traffic management by NAM? Should I reduce the extensive public transport system, which means I have to rebuild these cities seriously?

many thx

jdenm8

Well, your main problems would be that your transit system designed to exploit the Maxis simulator are simply over-extravagant with the NAM installed.
The Maxis simulator looks for the shortest route, the NAM simulator will look for the fastest route.

If you want to go back to the Maxis simulator, that is possible, just remove the simulator from your NAM folder.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

z

I would strongly advise against reverting to the Maxis traffic simulator, as it has many problems and bugs.

Quote from: jdenm8 on November 20, 2010, 07:13:37 PM
The Maxis simulator looks for the shortest route, the NAM simulator will look for the fastest route.

Actually, both simulators try to find the fastest route, but the Maxis simulator usually settles for the route shortest in distance, though it often can't even find that.  And the bigger the city, the more likely it is that the Maxis simulator will find no route at all, even when valid routes exist, and this results in the dreaded "Abandonment Due to Commute Time."

Rather than reverting to the Maxis simulator, it is very easy to tune the NAM traffic simulator to your liking.  Download the NAM Traffic Subsystem and launch the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool.  Near the top, you'll see "Mass Transit Usage" highlighted in blue.  Change this to a higher level, and more Sims will use mass transit.  In the next section, "Monthly Fares per Sim per Tile," you can raise your mass transit fares if you wish.  There are many other features in this tool, which you can find documented in its Help file.

diamonddog_74

Quote from: magalenin on November 21, 2010, 07:36:06 AM
Thanks a lot, I will try it!

Oh, the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool is the best thing about the new NAM (v.29). I usually use the "Medium" Traffic Simulator with NAM, but I decided to tweak it a little with the TSCT to boost my public transit usage and my Traffic Volume chart does not lie:

I love it! My streets/roads/aves are not congested with car traffic, and my commute time is a little over .2h. As you can see in the image, my city has a population of over 137,000. I placed my bus stops every ten tiles, and my subway stops every 25 tiles in the downtown area. I also put parking lots next to subway stops in the residential districts.

Labigcheese

My trains have gone and are undriveable ever since I downloaded NAM please can you tell me of a pach. :thumbsdown::(

MandelSoft

This could have something to do with driving side issues. Are the cars in your game driving on the left side of the road (LHD) or the right side of the road (RHD)? If so, check if you have installed the right version of the NAM (LHD or the RHD version). You may have to re-install the NAM.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

pobbah

Hello,

I have quite embarrassing problem. Some of the industrial buildings generate only freight traffic. It is like no workers work there, but in fact, the factories have full employment. The situation does not change over time, often it worses. I've had cities with something like 100000 of potential industrial traffic not generated.

I've tried almost every solution available, such as using other versions of NAM, or regenerating plugin files with traffic config tool, but I had no success.

What should I do? Maybe there's a workaround lying somewhere around? Or is it a bug in NAM?

Another interesting issue is that this behavior persists even if I remove all plugins altogether. This rises a question, does SC store some info regarding traffic plugins into the city files directly?

This is a screenshot illustrating the problem

cogeo

Mmmm..., either extreme settings for pedestrians (eg walking is faster than driving), or you have set the "Park and Ride" option, which actually means that there are parking lots REQUIRED everywhere, rather than promoting Park and Ride, as some might compehend.

pobbah

Quote from: cogeo on November 27, 2010, 11:55:56 AM
Mmmm..., either extreme settings for pedestrians (eg walking is faster than driving), or you have set the "Park and Ride" option, which actually means that there are parking lots REQUIRED everywhere, rather than promoting Park and Ride, as some might compehend.

I've double checked everything. I don't have PARK&RIDE enabled. The pedestrian setting does not play here, the same situation is for whatever settings I choose for the traffic simulator.

regoarrarr

Hi - I have read the FAQ and installation instructions but I also don't really know what I'm doing  ::) so I can not guarantee I'm not doing anything stupid.

I installed NAM several months ago, and have tooled around with various RHW and other features.

This evening, I downloaded the new NAM (v29) and now none of my RHWs show up.  The routes appear to show up in the minimap, but the actual roads do not show up.

I deleted everything in my plugins directory and re-installed v. 29 but still nothing.

Any ideas?

regoarrarr

I forgot to mention when I posted last night that I don't get any of the RHW pieces in my highways menu in-game, though I do have the TULeP pieces

jdenm8

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

regoarrarr

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.  That was in fact the problem  :angrymore:

I had actually stumbled upon that earlier this morning, but didn't get a chance to open up SC4 till just now to confirm that was the problem.  I had failed to realize that the NAM and RHW were not exactly the same thing and had only installed the NAM and not RHW.

Thanks for your help!!!

NBAFAN

Has anyone had this problem where new residential lots and houses keep having no road connection zots even though it is connected?  I am using the August 09 NAM.