• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdenm8

That happens because the override is broken. The game only sees RHW X ElRail between the pieces, so it doesn't know it has to override.

An alternative would be to make the intersection a bit larger, by moving the OWR overpasses out one tile then placing RHW-4 starter pieces in the gaps, demolishing the centre tile.
Then drag RHW between the stubs and drag your ElRail over the top.

If you want, I could show you an example.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

H2Odk

But as you can see, I could make it in the third pic.

I think it has to do with the center El-rail piece updates it self (as you can see it changed appearance) when I plop those road/RHW overpasses.

A El-Rail puzzle piece would solve it.

Tarkus

From the looks of it, an Elevated Tram-in-Avenue-over-RHW-4 piece would actually be a better solution here.  We are actually looking to eventually elevate the Tram-in-Avenue and Tram-in-Road systems in a future release.  Probably won't be the very next release, but I'd put the odds of it being in the one after that at about 95%.

-Alex

H2Odk

Quote from: Tarkus on March 17, 2011, 11:32:15 PM
From the looks of it, an Elevated Tram-in-Avenue-over-RHW-4 piece would actually be a better solution here.  We are actually looking to eventually elevate the Tram-in-Avenue and Tram-in-Road systems in a future release.  Probably won't be the very next release, but I'd put the odds of it being in the one after that at about 95%.

-Alex
That would be the best solution :)

I think I have managed to make the elevated road x rail piece work for El-rail too.. I added El-rail to the Patch file.. It works for El-rail, don't know if it still works for heavy raised rail or UDI.

Edit:

Spoke too soon, while the El-rail automata do use it, there isn't a real path there, no one is passing through it.

Can that piece be altered to work for both Rail and El-rail, and what else need to be changed?

apeguy

I have a problem with my GLR system in my cities. I have no issues at all when building the tram system, everything works fine. When I take it off pause, however, and people start to use it, it causes the game to CTD. It's always after about three months in game time, and I have no idea why it happens. I use the SFBT tram stations, and I currently have no mods that alter my GLR in any way (extra fences, tram skins, etc), so I was wondering if there were any other things that could be causing this. If it helps, this is the traffic simulator I use:

Also, in all of the cities that I have been trying to build a tram system in, they all have subway systems in as well, which are completely seperate from the GLR system. Would that cause any problems?

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Moonraker0

This isn't exactly a NAM problem, but it is under the scope of the NAM to fix:  Cars turning from a one-way road + intersection left onto a street will always do so from the right lane, and cars turning left onto the one-way road from the street will turn into the right lane.

Tarkus

There's a lot of weird pathing on default Maxis OWR and Avenue intersections.  The OWR paths were, looking over them, copied directly from their Road counterparts without any real modification.  For non-intersections, that tends to work fine because of the tidal flow mechanism, but you get some completely illegal turns on many intersections. ::)  It bugs me, too, so I may take a look over it.

-Alex

z

And here I thought that the designers were just all from Boston.  It looked perfectly normal to me.  Illegal, yes, but normal... ::)

Natuurzoon

I Got a question about NAM traffic simulators.
2 yeas ago i installed NAM with a traffic simulator (don't know which one anymore), and besides ofcourse increasing capacity it also increased the distance people would travel for jobs. People who lived in a large city tile, would travel into the next large city tile, cross that one completely and travel into a large city tile next to that one for a job that they had there. I recently re-installed simcity 4 and I have the same setup now, where people live in one city tile, and there are a lot of jobs 2 large tiles away. But this time they just won't travel there and the get unemployed.

I tried several traffic simulators but it doesn't change anything, the people still can't find they're way and get a job. Which traffic simulator makes this happen?
I hope someone can help me.

thanks in advance

Natuurzoon

I discovered even more problems, people aren't even able to find a job that's not even a mile away, leaving practically all my neighborhoods unemployed

here are 2 pictures showing the issue:

The people can't get a job at the highlighted building

But when i build the same building just across the road, they're suddenly able to get a job

It's not the rail crossing, that works fine as there some people that do cross it, besides, in other cities where i don't have a rail crossing the same problem emerges.

I installed the perfect pathfinding 2x capacity, but it doesn't seem to work..
any ideas?

jdenm8

Well, there's only one NAM traffic simulator now, NAM Unified (previously Z), all the others were depreciated in the June 2010 NAM, so I don't know how you're using one of the old ones.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Natuurzoon

There is a seperate download for the old ones, but i also tried the traffic simulators from the current NAM, had the same problem there..

j-dub

Well anyone could just move out the old NAM stuff to make way so it just installs fresh, but keep the old stuff on their PC somewhere else.

z

Quote from: Natuurzoon on April 16, 2011, 08:04:37 AM
I tried several traffic simulators but it doesn't change anything, the people still can't find they're way and get a job. Which traffic simulator makes this happen?

To elaborate a little bit on previous posts, this does not appear to be a traffic simulator problem.  Two years ago, you were probably using Simulator Z - it had by far the least abandonment problems of any of the traffic simulators.  Tests had also shown it was best for multi-tile travel.  Since then, as Simulator Z has become the NAM Unified Traffic Simulator, the biggest relevant change for your situation is that pathfinding efficiency has been increased.  In some cases, this may reduce intercity traffic slightly, as Sims now try harder to find a job in their home city.  However, abandonment due to commute time is even less than in Simulator Z; with a properly built city, it is possible to eliminate it completely.  The reduction and elimination of abandonment due to commute time is actually the metric that was used to determine the optimum pathfinding heuristic for the later versions of Simulator Z and the NAM traffic simulator.

The earlier traffic simulators that have "perfect pathfinding" in their name actually use a slightly worse value for the pathfinding heuristic, and produce more abandonment as a result.

It should be possible to get multi-tile commuting, and without abandonment; many people have done this with the current traffic simulator.  So it appears that your problems lie elsewhere, although unfortunately it's hard to say where that might be.  RippleJet's Census Repository Facility is a tool that I would recommend trying next; it will help you see if you have the proper demand and jobs in your various cities.

JoeST

A quick aesthetic issue, how come the installer does not install the docs to the 'documentation' folder? it installs them to %PLUGINS%/Network Addon Mod/Documentation/, which then gets removed when you do a cleanitol, surely going in a similar direction to the CAM (which installs it to %DOCS%/BSC/CAM/ I guess)
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

aussiemcgr

I am having a weird pollution problem that I assume shouldn't be happening.

I've used the TSCT to create a custom Simulator. I set the Vehicle Air Pollution field to 0.00, assuming this will rid me of all the automobile pollution (if I'm wrong, tell me, I must have read the manual incorrectly).

Before downloading the August 2010 version of NAM, I had the June 2009. Since updating, the air pollution in my cities has more than doubled instantly, and based on the Air Pollution graph, I can only assume the pollution is because of traffic. Additionally, the amount of street traffic is largely unchanged, so the issue is not being caused by an increase in street traffic, just an increase in vehicle pollution (of about 2x from my previous version).

For example, I have a 4-way Avenue intersection that is reading High Pollution. This intersection has 718 cars and 242 pedestrians going through it.

What can I do to get rid of the air pollution caused by cars. The amount of it in the game is just too stupid to attempt to manage, so I just figured I'd be happier to just remove it entirely. Thanks in advance.

z

Quote from: aussiemcgr on April 24, 2011, 01:07:05 PM
I set the Vehicle Air Pollution field to 0.00, assuming this will rid me of all the automobile pollution.

That is correct.  I just tried this, and it works fine for me; it removes the traffic air pollution completely.

Did you uninstall the June 2009 edition of the NAM before installing the 2010 version?

Did you double check to make sure that the Clean Air Act is still enabled in your cities?  Disabling it would roughly cause a doubling in traffic air pollution.

If the pollution is indeed caused by traffic, the Air Pollution data view should show a grid-like pattern in the worst places, reflecting the layout of your roads.  Does it?

The only other thing I can think of is that you may have some other version of the Clean Air Act in your Plugins folder that is overriding your NAM version.  This would cause vehicle air pollution to approximately double.

aussiemcgr

QuoteDid you uninstall the June 2009 edition of the NAM before installing the 2010 version?
Yes, I ran the uninst.exe prior to running the 2010 install.

QuoteDid you double check to make sure that the Clean Air Act is still enabled in your cities?  Disabling it would roughly cause a doubling in traffic air pollution.
Yes, it is still enabled.
If the pollution is indeed caused by traffic, the Air Pollution data view should show a grid-like pattern in the worst places, reflecting the layout of your roads.  Does it?
This is the part that I found curious. It is not on a clean grid-like pattern like it should be (I know what you are talking about). But it is rather blobbed around the roadways. There is a significant amount of pollution in strictly residential areas that follow along the roadways (in its blob fashion), and I'm not sure what else could be producing the pollution in the residential areas. The pollution also exists in areas that are strictly commercial and areas that are strictly HT-Industry.

QuoteThe only other thing I can think of is that you may have some other version of the Clean Air Act in your Plugins folder that is overriding your NAM version.  This would cause vehicle air pollution to approximately double.
I did find another version of the Clean Air Act. I remove it from my plugins, but nothing changed.

z

Quote from: aussiemcgr on April 24, 2011, 02:52:56 PM
.This is the part that I found curious. It is not on a clean grid-like pattern like it should be (I know what you are talking about). But it is rather blobbed around the roadways. There is a significant amount of pollution in strictly residential areas that follow along the roadways (in its blob fashion), and I'm not sure what else could be producing the pollution in the residential areas. The pollution also exists in areas that are strictly commercial and areas that are strictly HT-Industry.

This does not sound like vehicle air pollution.  Vehicle air pollution is well defined, with edges that are almost sharp, and does not go beyond the boundaries of the networks by any noticeable amount.  Are these blobs along the sides of the networks, over them, or both?

Andreas

Quote from: JoeST on April 24, 2011, 02:35:56 AM
A quick aesthetic issue, how come the installer does not install the docs to the 'documentation' folder? it installs them to %PLUGINS%/Network Addon Mod/Documentation/, which then gets removed when you do a cleanitol, surely going in a similar direction to the CAM (which installs it to %DOCS%/BSC/CAM/ I guess)

There is no "official" documentation folder. Many installers use a "STEX_Downloads" or "LEX_Downloads" folder within the "\My Documents\SimCity4" folder, but this was introduced by the BSC installers. The SFBT installers put the readme inside a "\Plugins\SFBT\SFBT_ReadMe" folder, for example. The NAM Team could have adopted the BSC folder, but there always was a "Documentation" folder inside the NAM installation folder since the very first NAM installer, so we simply kept it that way.
Andreas