• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marianne

Hi all,

When I first installed the NAM, I set traffic capacity to the lowest setting. I was still fairly new to the game, and I wanted to force myself to master the public transit networks. Well, it worked. Now though, I'm looking at mondo traffic jams, and train stations using +200% of their capacity. The sims are not happy, and this means I am not happy. (Well, at least when I'm playing the game.)

How do I adjust carrying capacity on the NAM?

Mit besten Gruessen,
Marianne

j-dub

Consider experimenting with the other traffic simulation settings. In your situation, the lowest may not be the best suit for you.

z

The easiest way to change your settings is to download the NAM Traffic Subsystem, which contains the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool.  For transit stations, you'll need to find others on the LEX or STEX with higher capacities.  However, transit stations actually work perfectly unless their usage exceeds 400% of their rated capacity, so  it's OK to go quite a bit over the rated capacity.

Jelif

Quote from: j-dub on October 16, 2011, 10:35:58 AM
Quotea tile with missing texture....

That certainly is a strange intersection.
Not sure if it's supported or not.

I thought I saw something like that before. I may be wrong, but I thought it requires the diagonal road crossing the ending avenue to be completely straight across. Then again, the texture could be missing, but I thought that texture would be a sharp angled median, and maybe one signal on top of that.

Actually, I might have seen a normal diagonal T intersection for Avenue x Road before. Yesterday when i built that intersection, it showed a brown square on that tile while i was dragging over the road with avenue.
By the way, i also find a minor problem on the description of TuLEP tiles. The Road Type A-Blank has two different texture, dashed or non-dashed. The non-dashed one shows only "The Road Type A-Blank" but i find a LTEXT file written "Road TuLEP-Type A-Blank (Rotate for Dashed)".
NAM non-official Chinese version translator

Bluemoose

Okay guys.... The DBE looks awesome... but Its not working for me.  It drains my water, but it doesnt flatten my roads, or in this case, avenue.  Please help me out.
Also, when I drag it across my ravine, I get a failed terrain smoothing, probably related to the not-flattening thing.

Tarkus

Quote from: Bluemoose on October 16, 2011, 03:07:21 PM
Okay guys.... The DBE looks awesome... but Its not working for me.  It drains my water, but it doesnt flatten my roads, or in this case, avenue.  Please help me out.
Also, when I drag it across my ravine, I get a failed terrain smoothing, probably related to the not-flattening thing.

Sounds like you may have a slope mod sitting loose in your Plugins folder, which is loading after the zero-slope files in the DBE and overriding it.

-Alex

Bluemoose

Quote from: Tarkus on October 16, 2011, 04:31:11 PM
Sounds like you may have a slope mod sitting loose in your Plugins folder, which is loading after the zero-slope files in the DBE and overriding it.

-Alex

Nope, I took that out.  But I just read on the DBE page that It works with roads, OWR and Rail... no mention of Avenue, even though stubs are included....

jdenm8

Tarkus got a little caught up there.

The DBE does not support Avenue, although it does contain Avenue Bridges. They instead use either Road or RHW for the bridge section.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Marianne

Thanks for that. Where exactly on that page though is the download link? The only one I'm seeing is the Java link. I'm allowing scripts to run, so I know that's not an issue. This is just plain old Windows XP. I don't know why there is no link showing.

Marianne

Quote from: z on October 16, 2011, 11:16:01 AM
The easiest way to change your settings is to download the NAM Traffic Subsystem, which contains the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool.  For transit stations, you'll need to find others on the LEX or STEX with higher capacities.  However, transit stations actually work perfectly unless their usage exceeds 400% of their rated capacity, so  it's OK to go quite a bit over the rated capacity.

jdenm8

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

Quote from: jdenm8 on October 16, 2011, 05:51:49 PM
The DBE does not support Avenue, although it does contain Avenue Bridges. They instead use either Road or RHW for the bridge section.

Thanks for catching me on that one. 

All the Avenue ones are RHW-based.  Ditto with the Maxis Highway diagonal bridges.

-Alex

j-dub

QuoteBy the way, i also find a minor problem on the description of TuLEP tiles. The Road Type A-Blank has two different texture, dashed or non-dashed. The non-dashed one shows only "The Road Type A-Blank" but i find a LTEXT file written "Road TuLEP-Type A-Blank (Rotate for Dashed)".

By non-Dash you mean solid?
Unless you have pictures, this does not sound too far fetched. The words in brackets are just a suggestion in the descriptor that you have to rotate to change the piece. The whole thing about present and future TuLEP development depends on placement. To lessen the amount of TABs, different texture variants share the same rotation.

Bluemoose

Quote from: jdenm8 on October 16, 2011, 05:51:49 PM
Tarkus got a little caught up there.

Thanks a bunch jdenm8, I knew It had to be something simple I was doing wrong.

Jelif

QuoteBy the way, i also find a minor problem on the description of TuLEP tiles. The Road Type A-Blank has two different texture, dashed or non-dashed. The non-dashed one shows only "The Road Type A-Blank" but i find a LTEXT file written "Road TuLEP-Type A-Blank (Rotate for Dashed)".
I found this is a mistake caused by me or the software. The original locale file has no such problem. Sorry for reporting the problem wrongly.

The problem of missing texture is solved now. I think this may be related to the fix patch given by Maxis but not NAM.
NAM non-official Chinese version translator

dogma555

Anyone figure anything out for the Japanese El-Rail facelift mod to get the support beams to show up again?

So my cities look horrible now with these floating el-rails, and they'll look like somethings is MISSING if I delete the facelift mod    &Thk/(

Is this to do with the new draggable GLR or something? Can I somehow remove that and get my support beams back?

Tarkus

Quote from: dogma555 on October 19, 2011, 02:24:16 PM
Is this to do with the new draggable GLR or something? Can I somehow remove that and get my support beams back?

The new Draggable GLR Extension Plugin (not to be confused with the regular Draggable GLR Plugin) removes the the Elevated Rail network's support beam auto-placement properties and instead uses Type21 Exemplars to place the pillars (similar to the Elevated RHW networks).  This was necessary in order to enable the base texture customization functionality on the two new GLR styles.  The new GLR styles needed to be model-based in order for this to work, and with the support auto-placement in place, supports would show up on the new GLR styles.  The placement of the Type21 supports isn't as regular in part due to the fact that Maxis included a bunch of tiny "trackside detail" Type21s that compete with the supports. 

We are looking into giving the support T21s a little more "competitive edge" against those trackside details to get a more regular appearance of supports, but the interactions between the T21s are rather complex and it's not been a simple task.  Because we knew some users might not like the visuals, we specifically made the Draggable GLR Extension Plugin's box in the installer unchecked by default, meaning the user needs to deliberately check it (and see the warning message that appears on hover) in order to install it.

In the meanwhile, to restore your support beams to their original configuration, remove the Draggable GLR Extension Plugin (NetworkAddonMod_GroundLightRailDrag_Extension.dat in Network Addon Mod\Plugins, not Draggable GLR itself, which is still perfectly fine) and rebuild selected tiles of your Elevated Rail so the supports will show up again.

So my cities look horrible now with these floating el-rails, and they'll look like somethings is MISSING if I delete the facelift mod    &Thk/(

Technically, as a strictly cosmetic mod, it merely replaces models at a given IID.  Removing the facelift mod should not cause your El-Rails to disappear--they'll just revert to the default Maxis style.

-Alex

josh6

I'm not sure if this is a NAM issue but after I installed the new NAM all of automota is moving at chetah speed even when time is moving in the slowest setting. I liked it when the cars were slower.
How do I change it back? Or can I?

thanks

dogma555

Quote from: Tarkus on October 19, 2011, 06:39:51 PM

The new Draggable GLR Extension Plugin (not to be confused with the regular Draggable GLR Plugin) removes the the Elevated Rail network's support beam auto-placement properties and instead uses Type21 Exemplars to place the pillars (similar to the Elevated RHW networks).  This was necessary in order to enable the base texture customization functionality on the two new GLR styles.  The new GLR styles needed to be model-based in order for this to work, and with the support auto-placement in place, supports would show up on the new GLR styles.  The placement of the Type21 supports isn't as regular in part due to the fact that Maxis included a bunch of tiny "trackside detail" Type21s that compete with the supports. 

We are looking into giving the support T21s a little more "competitive edge" against those trackside details to get a more regular appearance of supports, but the interactions between the T21s are rather complex and it's not been a simple task.  Because we knew some users might not like the visuals, we specifically made the Draggable GLR Extension Plugin's box in the installer unchecked by default, meaning the user needs to deliberately check it (and see the warning message that appears on hover) in order to install it.

In the meanwhile, to restore your support beams to their original configuration, remove the Draggable GLR Extension Plugin (NetworkAddonMod_GroundLightRailDrag_Extension.dat in Network Addon Mod\Plugins, not Draggable GLR itself, which is still perfectly fine) and rebuild selected tiles of your Elevated Rail so the supports will show up again.

Technically, as a strictly cosmetic mod, it merely replaces models at a given IID.  Removing the facelift mod should not cause your El-Rails to disappear--they'll just revert to the default Maxis style.

-Alex

Thanks so much Alex. I'm going to try that the next time I restart SC4.

I think I was in such a haste to get the new version that I just checked everything that seemed enticing  $%Grinno$%

Would you happen to know if its possible to remove any files from the latest NAM that would stop affecting this other Japanese mod?

Tarkus

Quote from: josh6 on October 19, 2011, 07:36:44 PM
I'm not sure if this is a NAM issue but after I installed the new NAM all of automota is moving at chetah speed even when time is moving in the slowest setting. I liked it when the cars were slower.
How do I change it back? Or can I?

thanks

That would most likely be related to the automata plugin.  The automata speed settings in the NAM Automata Plugins are the same as those in the Maxis default settings (save for the RHW network speed).  In all likelihood, you either a) had an automata plugin installed that slowed down your automata considerably (e.g. the Persistent Automata Mod from the STEX, or mott's old mod from 2007), and you either removed it, or your NAM installation is loading after and overriding it, or b) you installed a mod that sped up your automata.

And dogma555, You're most welcome. :)

The NAM's Elevated Viaducts were completely revamped as part of the Version 30 upgrade, and the Facelift mod there hasn't been updated to comply with some of the file architecture specifications of the new design.  Unfortunately, in this case there's not really anything that can be done aside from removing the Facelift mod--it won't be compatible until Nekopanch upgrades it. 

-Alex

dogma555

Excellent.. the supports are back. Thanks again!  ;D

I also deleted only the "avenue" folder from Nekopanch's road facelift mod, and as you can see from my following pic it actually works fine for single tiles .. so you can sort of simulate the avenue with 2x one way's.. its just the one way textures have always look a bit sloppier than the avenue ones to me.