• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyoungyn

I have the same problem.  I cannot open existing cities with NAM5.0 as I beleive with all the bugs, the map will just not load.  I tried uninstalling the new NAM and re-installing the old NAM/RHW/etc and the maps open.  I then tried re-installing the new NAM and same problem again.  I am really getting frustrated.  more than half of the L1/2/3 of all RHW all has bugs.  The only thing in the new NAM that works great is the Project Symphany.  I sure hope a "Hot Fix" comes out really soon as I so anxious to start using the new NAM.

Swordmaster

Quote from: Natuurzoon on March 02, 2013, 06:29:20 PM
Well, alongside all the known bugs, I have another problem. I can't go back to the region if i exit a city. The game then crashes to the desktop. It started occuring after i installed the new NAM. I'd like to know if this is a known problem and if there's a possible sollution.

Many thanks in advance!

This is likely a problem with your computer system's abilities. It's a fact that NAM 31 is huge. Increasing the size of your plugins at once may reveal the limits of your setup. This isn't because something is wrong with the NAM; it's simply because it's so big. I recommend you upgrade your system.

It's possible there's another reason to this, but exiting a city and crashing is probably a lack of memory. I've had it myself many times and I can usually fix this by disabling as many background processes as I can (or playing with a smaller region). Then again, I don't have the best system in the world. Even so, I can run the new NAM just fine in existing cities (and I have for months).

Cheers
Willy

z

Quote from: farrell1701 on March 02, 2013, 07:55:02 AM
First off, THANK YOU NAM team! You are a huge chunk of what I think has kept SC4 awesome. Thank you for putting so much hard work into such a great mod!

I updated to 3.1 today (love the revamped installer). All went well when I loaded up, but I found 2 problems with the El Rail in my city that I didn't have in 3.0:

This is a known bug in the installer that has been fixed in the development version.  As a workaround, run the installer again, and under the "El Rail Alternate Implementation" option, select "El Rail Cool Color Concrete Texture".

While I would love to blame this on the graffiti artists in the area, the boxes do seem to be a bit extreme.  ;D

Any thoughts?

If you redraw the network, they should go away.

Natuurzoon

Quote from: Swordmaster on March 02, 2013, 09:24:51 PM
Quote from: Natuurzoon on March 02, 2013, 06:29:20 PM
Well, alongside all the known bugs, I have another problem. I can't go back to the region if i exit a city. The game then crashes to the desktop. It started occuring after i installed the new NAM. I'd like to know if this is a known problem and if there's a possible sollution.

Many thanks in advance!

This is likely a problem with your computer system's abilities. It's a fact that NAM 31 is huge. Increasing the size of your plugins at once may reveal the limits of your setup. This isn't because something is wrong with the NAM; it's simply because it's so big. I recommend you upgrade your system.

It's possible there's another reason to this, but exiting a city and crashing is probably a lack of memory. I've had it myself many times and I can usually fix this by disabling as many background processes as I can (or playing with a smaller region). Then again, I don't have the best system in the world. Even so, I can run the new NAM just fine in existing cities (and I have for months).

Cheers
Willy

Hmm that's odd. I just got a brand new computer about a month ago, with plenty of memory! (could send system specs if that would help)

I did however had to force the game to run on one CPU instead of the 4 my computer has, beacause apparently it wouldn't work on windows 8 without doing so... Don't know if that could be the problem. (not much of a whiz when it comes to computers ()what())

samerton

Quote from: Natuurzoon on March 03, 2013, 04:17:05 AM
I did however had to force the game to run on one CPU instead of the 4 my computer has, beacause apparently it wouldn't work on windows 8 without doing so... Don't know if that could be the problem. (not much of a whiz when it comes to computers ()what())

That shouldn't be a problem; it's recommended that no matter which OS you're on, you should run SimCity 4 on 1 core to reduce crashes. I doubt it's related to that; I run SimCity 4 on 1 core on Windows 8 too, however I don't get the crashing issue.

It is quite an unusual problem, however I have seen a couple of other people reporting the same issue...

memo

Hmm that's odd. I just got a brand new computer about a month ago, with plenty of memory! (could send system specs if that would help)

It certainly wouldn't hurt if you post your system specs. Please also answer the following questions:
• Is it reproduceable? Does it occur everytime you safe and exit a city? Can you safe without exiting? Can you safe by pressing <Alt>+<Safe> perhaps?
• Does it happen if you don't modify anything in your city, but open, safe and exit directly?
• Does the game still crash if you safe a new and empty city?

dyoungyn

This is all indeed odd.  I have a brand new Intel Core 7, Win 7, 16Gigs Memory and NVIDIA Getforce Video Drive with 2 Gigs Memory.  I have absolutely no problem opening maps without the old NAM and components, only the maps which I re-did with the old NAM.

Natuurzoon

Quote from: memo on March 03, 2013, 04:45:19 AM

It certainly wouldn't hurt if you post your system specs. Please also answer the following questions:
• Is it reproduceable? Does it occur everytime you safe and exit a city? Can you safe without exiting? Can you safe by pressing <Alt>+<Safe> perhaps?
• Does it happen if you don't modify anything in your city, but open, safe and exit directly?
• Does the game still crash if you safe a new and empty city?

Tested a few things and apparently it doesn't always happen. Never had a problem saving without exiting, but found out I can save and exit directly after opening and it works fine with new city tiles as well...  It only occured after playing for a while.

my system specs:

It's mainly in dutch, but i think most info should be clear, if not, i could translate a few things.

Uzil

Hi everyone, is normal which there are no development of automatic tulep (on roads and avenus) ?  &mmm

samerton

Quote from: Uzil on March 03, 2013, 08:46:19 AM
Hi everyone, is normal which there are no development of automatic tulep (on roads and avenus) ?  &mmm

It is normal, you must click on the junction with the Rail tool for the TuLEP to appear.

Uzil

teddyrised

Hi all,

Big thanks again to the NAM team for releasing v31. It has been an ardous task developing it, not to mention compiling everything together into a monolithic setup and constructing the installer.

I am wondering, given the larger size of the NAM installation this time (approximately 450mb), would the NAM team shed any light on datpacking the NAM folder? I understand that the main argument against datpacking is to ensure that future hotfixes and updates can be installed easily. I do keep a backup of the current NAM installation somewhere outside of the Plugins folder for safe keeping (and future datpacking should the need to update calls for it).

In addition, while the main NAM folder (/plugins/Network Addon Mod/) datpacked without an issue, the z__NAM folder had a problem with datpacking. I managed to track it down to the file involving Project Symphony (Maxis Highway Override\z_highway_menu_blocker.dat). I receive the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2701, in OnStart
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2358, in RecurseAllFilesFull
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2456, in BuildIt
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2200, in WriteADat
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 1879, in Copy
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 1779, in IsBinary
AttributeError: Examplar instance has no attribute 'sig'

Not that I'm wanting anyone to fix it, but just to let the word out so people don't panic when they try to datpack the NAM and see an exception being thrown.

Tilarium

Ok, installed the new version.... decided the first thing I'll do is go through my current cities and see how they look.  I might have screwed something up while installing.... but I'm confused on the highways.  None of the old maxis interchanges or the NAM interchanges are here now.  The ones that exist in the cities already are still there but with the old maxis highway texture.  Are they in a different location other then the highway menu?  Did I miss something in the install?  Are they just not included anymore?

teddyrised

Quote from: Tilarium on March 03, 2013, 01:25:42 PM
Ok, installed the new version.... decided the first thing I'll do is go through my current cities and see how they look.  I might have screwed something up while installing.... but I'm confused on the highways.  None of the old maxis interchanges or the NAM interchanges are here now.  The ones that exist in the cities already are still there but with the old maxis highway texture.  Are they in a different location other then the highway menu?  Did I miss something in the install?  Are they just not included anymore?

If you've chosen to install Project Symphony, it will disable all Maxis Highway interchanges (but you still can draw them out by autoplace if you drag them across each other, or drag roads/avenues into them). The ground and elevated maxis highways are also renamed to L0 and L2 MHW, too.

Tilarium

I got the interchanges drawing part, which is pretty cool, but they still have the old maxis texture...

MandelSoft

The interchanges are NOT changed. This is a main thing in the design of Project Symphony. See Symphony FAQ item #2
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Tilarium

I'm going to have to wait until I have some time to A) read the FAQ and B) figure all the new stuff out.  If I can't, sadly, I'll have to remove project symphony.  I like it and how it makes everything flow together.  I A) can't figure out the on-ramps and exit ramps and B) use tight interchanges and on-ramps and exit ramps.  From the initial looks, the only interchanges I can see is the big circle one.  That takes way to much space (in my mind) and A) can't figure out the ramps and B) can't figure out how to make them as tight as I can with the default maxis/NAM 30 ramps.

teddyrised

Quote from: MandelSoft on March 03, 2013, 02:08:37 PM
The interchanges are NOT changed. This is a main thing in the design of Project Symphony. See Symphony FAQ item #2

In an alternative perfect universe, everyone reads the Read Me :P

z

Quote from: teddyrised on March 03, 2013, 11:56:09 AM
I am wondering, given the larger size of the NAM installation this time (approximately 450mb), would the NAM team shed any light on datpacking the NAM folder? I understand that the main argument against datpacking is to ensure that future hotfixes and updates can be installed easily. I do keep a backup of the current NAM installation somewhere outside of the Plugins folder for safe keeping (and future datpacking should the need to update calls for it).

No, there is no problem DatPacking the NAM as long as you follow the procedures you describe.

QuoteIn addition, while the main NAM folder (/plugins/Network Addon Mod/) datpacked without an issue, the z__NAM folder had a problem with datpacking. I managed to track it down to the file involving Project Symphony (Maxis Highway Override\z_highway_menu_blocker.dat). I receive the following error...

Sometimes you get DatPacker errors when you try to DatPack too much.  In that case, DatPack the NAM's subfolders and place them under a folder called "Network Addon Mod" in your Plugins_Compressed folder.  You can move the top-level files in this folder as they are, as DatPacking them would have a negligible effect.

packersfan

Probably a stupid question but if I want to remove a part of NAM for example the Bullet Train Mod can I just run the installer again and uncheck the stuff I don't want and it will remove it?  Or do I have to figure out which folders I need to delete?  Sadly, I installed a lot of extra things and it is hard to tell what stuff replaces existing things in my plugins (el-stations, etc, because the file names are not the same)...Any tips, greatly appreciated.