• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalyst

Hey everyone, I wasn't sure where I could post thanksgivings so I'll just post them here, where everyone complains about things that don't work (or do but just not the way we would like them to  ;))
-
I would like to say thank you, and give an imaginary handshake to everybody involved in anything that somehow has benefit/benefits/will benefit SC4 and make it a better game.
-
I would like to thank especially those who spent hours, maybe days or even longer on programming, modelling, BATting, LOTting, etcetera to make quality content for the general SC4 public like myself
-the above is written in white (guess why ;-)), highlight it!
I know it's just a couple of pixels but nevertheless I would like you to show what I achieved today using the amazing pieces made by the NAM and especially the CAN-AM team:

-

-
&apls

matthew49

Hello, I am new to NAM. Is there any way that I can connect two avenues which are shifted to the side by one tile? I attached a picture, which shows my unsuccessful attempts using things from NAM to connect my avenue.

jdenm8

There's a small S-Curve you can drag, it's built-into the base Avenue functionality.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

matthew49

Quote from: jdenm8 on June 15, 2014, 11:09:48 PM
There's a small S-Curve you can drag, it's built-into the base Avenue functionality.

Could you be more specific on how to do this? I'm sorry if it is simple but I played around with it for a while and could not get it.

jdenm8

It's only simple to do if you know how to do it.

Here's an Imgur album with screenshots depicting how to do it:
http://imgur.com/a/rylin

matthew49

tvrcars

Just a quick question, I play simcity and all the traffic is LHD as i live in the UK. I found a trick for swapping them to RHD as nam supports more RHD, the only thing is do I have to reinstall NAM again?

Tarkus

That should do the trick.  Depending on how you accomplished the drive side switch (editing the registry is the most foolproof way), the installer should be able to recognize that you're in RHD now.  I suspect someone more familiar with the inner workings of the present installer (it's changed a lot since I worked on it for NAM 29 and 30) would be able to give you a more definitive answer.

-Alex

eyelevel

I have a small question; I'd like to try my hand at modding by possible creating an angled MIS connector to a road, similar to the parallel MHW ramps, mostly just for practice, as I'm not sure if such a ramp is desired or even exists. I can clarify if needed.

z

Quote from: Tarkus on June 19, 2014, 04:37:07 PM
I suspect someone more familiar with the inner workings of the present installer (it's changed a lot since I worked on it for NAM 29 and 30) would be able to give you a more definitive answer.

I guess that would be me. :)

Yes, you do have to reinstall the NAM again, although it should detect that you've switched driving sides, depending on what you did.  When you rerun the installer, on the "Setup Type" page, choose "Traffic Simulator Only".  You'll then be asked if you want to keep your version of the NAM.  Answer "Yes".  Click "Next" on the Install Location page, which will bring you to the Components page.  Click the plus sign next to the "Traffic Driving Side" selection, and make sure that the first of the two options is selected; if it's not, you need to select it.  Then click "Next" and continue until the installation is finished.

If you needed to change the Traffic Driving Side, then you will need to do this every time you reinstall the NAM or install a new version.  But if the traffic driving side already had the first selection checked, you won't need to do anything special in the future.

danholo

Quote from: memo on June 13, 2014, 09:59:50 AM

I guess you used the Lightrail tool to connect the connector piece with the Avenue. Use the Road tool instead and it should work. You only need to use the Lightrail tool for connecting if you want to connect pure elevated rail, that is without a Road below. In any other case, its the Road tool.

Yes, I did! Or that's what I rememeber. It's a few weeks already. I'll give it a try. I resorted to other methods but now it's not as clean. Thanks a lot! I'll report back.

edit: So it worked!

However, this is the next problem I faced:

Is there any way to create that sort of intersection that is somewhat normal? This is the most functional version. The other type I created ends at a road block:

Also, I guess there isn't a work around to get the El-Rail over Road to somehow intersect better with One-Way streets? The only puzzle piece I used was the El-Rail over Road intersection and pulled One Way roads to it but it doesn't look 'perfect' nor do I think it functions as a normal Road/OneWay intersection would.

memo

Quote from: danholo on June 23, 2014, 07:44:25 AM
Is there any way to create that sort of intersection that is somewhat normal? This is the most functional version. The other type I created ends at a road block:

One solution would be to replace the Avenue by a RD4 below the El-Rail until after the intersection.

Then there's also this workaround: Place a L1 Ave x Ave puzzle piece and demolish one corner like this:

...which leaves you with an Avenue stub:

Use it to build an amputated +-intersection:

Lastly, place the El-Rail-Avenue pieces. (Sorry for the missing textures... it's the Aspyr port which sometimes refuses to behave.)

Quote from: danholo on June 23, 2014, 07:44:25 AM
Also, I guess there isn't a work around to get the El-Rail over Road to somehow intersect better with One-Way streets? The only puzzle piece I used was the El-Rail over Road intersection and pulled One Way roads to it but it doesn't look 'perfect' nor do I think it functions as a normal Road/OneWay intersection would.

No, there isn't, at this point. The initial plan was to extend the "FLEX" implementation of El-Rail-Avenue to El-Rail-Road so that the connector piece would do more than just connecting, but there's been no progress whatsoever in that regard.

danholo

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! I'll put it to good use.

Thanks for your efforts.

Danke!

edit: Your instructions helped immensely. Thanks again!

cmdp123789

Hey guys. I've always used the RHD for my cities, but now I'm trying my hand at some British styled cities so I installed the LHD components for the NAM. Everything was installed correctly and it works perfect, except for one little thing... Real railway mod has no draw paths... And for some reason every time i lay tracks, the draw lathe don't show up and the game freezes for like 5 seconds.

Are there any patches made for LHD users? Can you please list them?

Thanks in advance,

Criss.

memo

Quote from: cmdp123789 on July 04, 2014, 05:41:11 PM

For some reason, the RRW LHT file did not end up in the installer. It has been posted as attachment [here].

fefenc

Hey guys, I'm experiencing an annoying bug with traffic simulation between 2 cities in my railroad system, there's two track leading to another city with a lot of commuters, but when I go to the another city, the tracks keeps near to 0 commuters no matter what I do :<

Here's a video showing my situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3AH_NFkFys

My industrial city is losing money due to this bug in traffic simulation between cities.

I'm using NAM Traffic Simulation

cmdp123789

jdenm8

Quote from: memo on July 04, 2014, 09:31:14 PM
Quote from: cmdp123789 on July 04, 2014, 05:41:11 PM

For some reason, the RRW LHT file did not end up in the installer. It has been posted as attachment [here].

There's an additional patch for STR. STR had its IIDs reallocated, but the LHD paths never got moved to the new IIDs.

I've fixed that with this file.

fefenc

Quote from: fefenc on July 05, 2014, 08:27:30 AM
Hey guys, I'm experiencing an annoying bug with traffic simulation between 2 cities in my railroad system, there's two track leading to another city with a lot of commuters, but when I go to the another city, the tracks keeps near to 0 commuters no matter what I do :<

Here's a video showing my situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3AH_NFkFys

My industrial city is losing money due to this bug in traffic simulation between cities.

I'm using NAM Traffic Simulation

Well, I've figured out how to solve my problem while playing.

I've discovered after doing some tests that this bug happens because simcity 4 is a bit "lazy" to simulate various neighborhood connections, all I've done was destroying 1 or 2 nearest neighborhood connections (avenues) and then my railroad system was showing the real commuters quantity on the Industrial city :D

Here's the pics

I hope I've helped someone who's experiencing the same trouble as me :)

b22rian

Quote from: fefenc on July 05, 2014, 11:05:01 PM

Well, I've figured out how to solve my problem while playing.

I've discovered after doing some tests that this bug happens because simcity 4 is a bit "lazy" to simulate various neighborhood connections, all I've done was destroying 1 or 2 nearest neighborhood connections (avenues) and then my railroad system was showing the real commuters quantity on the Industrial city :D

I hope I've helped someone who's experiencing the same trouble as me :)

Fefenc

These are quite interesting pics + video you have posted on neighborhood connection bugs.
(Which are notorious for being buggy in sc4 !)

It looks like what you did to me is move one of your rail lines , 1 tile further away from the avenue connection . Is this correct ?

I know in the past sometimes all I did was just rebuild a connection and it would work. But I would say more often than not this method did not help.

Anyways it looks like you stayed with the same connection here, ( 2 rail + 1 avenue), and simply moved over one of the rail lines over one tile.

If there was anything else you did to get this functioning correctly please feel free to elaborate ?

Thanks much for you posting + analysis on this issue,

Brian