• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShultzCity

Brilliant! Loving those textures, can't wait to give them a try  :thumbsup:
I'd love it if you could check out my photography! Click on of the links below:
http://www.jacobshultz.com.au
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jshultzphotography/

ldvger

David-

At Update 2 of your last post you show the two new textures you made to fix the one-off intersection, a square of 3x3 cells, total 9 cells.  If I number them top to bottom and left to right 1-9, that makes your numbered cells 1 and 2, 5 and 6 respectively.  Cell 7 is blank, most likely because there are no changes to this cell to accomodate this one-off intersection (such is my assumption).  However, cell 4 is just base texture (grass?) with no shoulder in the lower right hand corner.  Is this an oversight on your part or a deliberate "I'll get to that later" issue?   

Just wondering...wouldn't this same issue arise at a two-off intersection?  I haven't really paid attention to how far you extend your continuous double yellow centerline away from intersections before the single dashed centerline begins.  Also, seems you will have to make the same adjustments for orthagonal one-off intersections, right? 

Regardless, great work as always.  The mind boggles at the hundreds of possible iterations road intersections present and the work involved on your end to cover all of them.

Lora/LD

dedgren

Can of worms comes to mind.

Can of RULS, actually.

I'll get to Lora's question in a bit- it's an excellent one.

UPDATE:  Got the left variant figured out.

UPDATE2:  I think I've got the jog tee down.

Onward!

Back to RL.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Ryan B.

Battlecat

Phew, no doubt about that.  Looking good though!

metarvo

Now, that's what I call the RULs of the Road.  Keep it up!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

bakerton

David, I would like to be a tester for your RealRoads. Great job sofar and I look forward to more. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

ecoba

I second what metarvo and Ryan said above. That will be a great treat. Remember, SE Ford.

Ethan

BigSlark

David,

I've changed my signature after nearly two years of 03/12/2008...

Peace,
Kevin

dedgren

A very great friend of mine here has inspired more than a little bit of Three Rivers Region.

The Thunder Crack was the scene of one of my favorite 3RR pics ever.

Someday I'll do a tutorial on the technique used to create that effect.  But I digress...

Dustin came up on my radar screen again the other day when he returned to the Double-0 Club for what I believe is the fifth time.  Friendship doesn't get any more loyal than that, so I thought in its honor we'd take a look at a place along the Wind River called by the locals Marathon Bend.  We just happened to be detailing a quad there.

Marathon Bend is located in the northeast quad of Wind Township almost 18 miles/30 kilometers upstream from the river's mouth.

The broad expanse of water rounding the ridge that creates this sharp turn in the river's course has long been a source of inspiration for local artists, including the famed D. Edgreschetti, whose "Marathon Morn" hangs in the Pineshore Museum of Fine Art.

You don't need a paintbrush, though, to capture the beauty here...

The area's flora includes the mysterious Furbish Lousewort fern

and the northernmost range of the vanishingly rare Mesabi Map turtle.

Sandy banks and bars make the bend a favorite overnight pull-out for the region's canoeists.

A summer evening's electrical storm provides a display better than fireworks,

To the west, the hills come right down to the river's edge,

Sunset can be a special time in this beautiful spot.

So now you have a sense of this place- let's make it come to life as we detail the quad that it is in.

We'll be working on this in the days ahead.

I'll be looking forward to hearing your comments and suggestions.  Thanks again to Dustin, whose MD Marathon [linkie] has provided so much enjoyment and inspiration over the year plus that it has now run.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

adroman

Wow, David... excellent work around here!

In regards to the RealRoads, wonderful, wonderful work! It'll be an excellent fix to the less-than-realistic textures of the Roads, particularly in Rural areas. A thumbs up from me in that department...  :thumbsup: I'd be very interested in testing for you, well, more specifically in the way of the Euro Textures... That is, if there are some in development! ... I suspect that the RealRoads will exceed the considerable hype around here at the moment  ;)

Your extra-SC4 material was very well done, and really gives the Three Rivers Region and extra dimension (or two!). I envy your Region's Cartography services... You're maps always very tastefully, and accurately, done. I do like looking at Thunder Crack, that's a premier picture, kudos!  ;) The Photos you have selected shed extra light upon the Region, and the SC4 Pictures are, as always, wonderfully done.

I'll be back more often, I'm sure of it...

Havva good one,
Adrian.
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

canyonjumper

Wow David! That update was full of beautiful pics! That Thunder Crack picture is awesome, as is every other picture in the update! The Real Roads are really coming along well. Looking forward to more!

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

yochananmichael

Absolutely, positively brilliant David. You sir astound me every time
Greywolf (John Michael)
If you can't run with the pack don't run at all

dedgren

We've come so far...

As the guy who did the textures for these way back in the summer of 2007, I can now officially say that they were awful.

Of course, it was so exciting to have wide road curves in the game, that just seemed to be a small detail.

Now, of course, it's the details that matter.

2010 (soon)

Have a great day!

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

pvarcoe

Hi David.

Wow, when you see the textures (before and after) compared side by side (or above and below) the difference is pretty stark. The new textures are excellent!

I have to say though, that at the time, the older (2007) textures with the new angles and curves were great to experiment and build with. Game changing as far as rural landscapes go.

I am looking forward to using the newer sets. Thanks!!

MandelSoft

A big improvement indeed  :thumbsup:! I'm looking forward to the release
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

bat

As always great work, David! Looking forward to more of your wonderful work... :)

Connor

It's been a long time since we've seen a 3RR update of this style, and i'm blown away as usual. Fantastic stuff.

The roads are looking great as well, excellent work all round.

Connor.

thundercrack83

Wow, David! Just...Wow!

Dustin

dedgren

No 3RR historic place would be complete without a marker.

...I need to make a list of these someday...

It is also our great friend Pat's birthday today, and was Jon's (JBSimio) yesterday.  My best to two of my favorite 3RR Regulars*.

Off to work.

David

* A 3RR Regular, like Pat and Jon, is anyone who has ever posted at least once here, over at 3RR-ST or in the 3RR Blog there.  Good friends all!

D. Edgren

Please call me David...