• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RECREATIONS, by ejc

Started by ejc, July 27, 2007, 08:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas

Quote from: paroch on September 02, 2007, 12:39:43 AM
I also like the congestion on the autobahn - very realistic if the German autobahns are as busy as UK motorways! ;)

Oh, they are - esp. in dense urban and suburban areas like the Ruhrgebiet. Usually, the traffic jam messages in the radio are longer than the actual news...
Andreas

BigSlark

Great industrial areas! Mine never seem to turn out right but you've hit the spot, ejc.

I can't wait to see more of Ruhrgebiet.

Cheers,
Kevin

Ennedi

Again great update, especially this Autobahn between fields and traffic jams on it... I know it very good  :D

Many people make mainly closeups, and you make excellent general views - you can show the Ruhrgebiet climate very well this way :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

ejc

DUISBURG Industry

Todat we take a little tour around the industrial facilities in the Duisburg-area. There are lots of it! Oil-reffineries, Steel Mills, Coal Mines, Petrochemical... it's filled with it!!

Steelmills on the banks of the "Rhein" river ^^

"Duisburg Rheinhafen", north of City center and close to the highway that crosses the Ruhr-area ^^

Oil & Petrochemical industries near the junction where "Rhine & Ruhr" rivers join together ^^
[/i]

CYA SOON, WITH A BRAND NEW UPDATE ON THE DUISBURG-AREA

E

rooker1

Great update, I love the first picture.  Industrial ports are my favourite things to make in SC4.

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

thundercrack83

Amazing port system you've got here, ejc! It's always a pleasure to view your work! I'm eager to see more!

Pat

Ejc talk about a good update danng i loved the industrail area alot... will seee you back soon - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

Always nice to visit this MD!

Great work on the wonderful looking industrial area of Duisburg! :thumbsup:

ejc

EJC's CURVED INFRASTRUCTURE TUTORIAL

Today I wanna show you my "secret" (more a tactic) on how to get such winding and twisting roads...

STEP 1; Get a "Google Earth" sattelite pic of the area

Find yourself the correct area within "Google Earth". My workdesk at home consists of 2 computers. One is my work-computer with internet & stuff.. (a very old and outdated pc) This is the computer where I run "Google Earth". The other computer is much more powerfull and is ment for gaming.. This is the computer where I run SC4 on!!

So, 2 screens next to eachother -> 1 with the reallife satellite view on "Google Earth", and 1 with the game SC4 running....

The area is found in Google Earth.. Personal for Highways, Railroads and main arteries I chose to take a screenshot of it and freeze the image so I always have the right scale on me (chose for large, medium & small city-tiles)

STEP 2; Get a nice smooth line filled with trees

This is the city-tile all before construction begins.. I've chosen not a large one so you guys can see scale & size is equivalent to the "Google Earth" pic

In this small tutorial I'll show you only the highway to be build (blue in "Google Earth") First of all you have to select the (god) treemode and plant the trees in the zoomed-out view of SC4 all in 1 smooth and curved line as you see it on the "Google Earth-sattelite image"

If you're not satisfied with the lines drawn you can always erase them and do it over again (be careful you don't demolish your neighbour-connections!!) But, if the line is drawn correct you can start filling it up with your infrastructure of choise (this time it's highway)

STEP 3; Fill your tree-line with the infrastructure you want!

Make sure you take small steps at a time.. I almost never use diagonal-tiles for 3 or 4 times in a row.. Make sure you play enough with the corners of degrees you're building the infrastructure so you get a nice smooth line across your city-tile map

Well, that's all for now with this small tutorial.. I use this technique for example; Highways, Railroads & Railyards, Main arteries (avenues as well as mayor roads), Canals & Rivers

STEP 4; Lurk for several minutes at your region-view..

You should try and experiment with it.. You would see you get some stunning region-views with all-curved roads like we Europeans like it most!!!

Cheers++

E

rooker1

Very cool little tutorial.  Another great idea on how to make nice curved transit lines.  Thanks.

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

bat

Yes, great tutorial ( :thumbsup: ) and also looking forward to more...

thundercrack83

Love the tutorial, ejc! It looks quite easy to do, too! I'll be looking forward to seeing your next update!

paroch

ejc - this is quite some region you're building here.  As everyone before me has already said - your industrial areas a fantastic.  Possibly the most realistic looking industrials I've seen on SC4  &apls &apls &apls.

And I like the tutorial - simple but effective (wish I'd thought of the line of trees before!)

Badsim

ejc ... my god , how it is intimidating for me to speak to you ... :-[

I have always been truely captivated ( a captivated lurker I've to confess ...) by your CJs . Your regional views are the most breathtaking that I know ... but ...(there's always a "but" ) but more you zoom in more the charm is going away ...all these turns and turns are just irritating my poor logical analysis . I'm exactly at the opposite of you and I think that's an interesting paradoxe . I work on details but I know that  more I zoom  out my city more my work is just looking for that it is , a sad grid ... and (smile and sigh ) , that's irritating me in the same way . I think there's no possible compromise between these 2 choices ; it's a choice .

I don't know (I'm not waiting for )  if you have any precision to give about I've just said , simply I remember that we use to say that the opposites attract themselves . Let's see if that's true ...

Well , I'm impressed by your impressive work .At least something logical ... ;)

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

ejc

DUISBURG Altstadt

The historic center of the city of "Duisburg" is jammed between highway A58 and the rivers "Rhine" and "Ruhr". It contains lots of newly build mid-highrises after the center was destroyed in world war II. Nontheless, there is a nice historic centre with old churches, narrow streets and nice plazas.

View on the area near the mainstation "Duisburg HBF" and the sunken highway "A58" in front of it.

Southern parts of the city, with the football-arena of "MSV Duisburg" (old stadium here)

Overview on the region.. Only "Duisburg" develloped yet...!

Transport view where also "Mülheim" and "Essen" are partially planned out

See You soon on a special railroad update of "Duisburg", the last update on this city!

E

ejc

EJC Replies

@ Badsim; I know... it's a choice indeed. I've also made "New York City" a few years ago. Based on straight avenues and nice layouts. But, it's more of a challenge I think to make more "european" cities, with a more natural flow of roads.. And, indeed.. ingame close-up it just doens't make sense!! But hey, that are the basics what SC4 is build from. If you know what I mean... Think you do... But again.. it's a choice you make

@ Paroch, thundercrack83, bat &rooker1; hahaaaaa! is't simple as that! I use it all the times. also for terraforming my regions. I mark out where outer lines of rivers or mountains should be, and get handterraforming

cya next time @ the next update!! :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

You know, I think my favorite part of your updates is when you show the region views. I can't believe how amazing and realistic everything looks, especially when you put it on the traffic view. Brilliant job, ejc! It's always a pleasure to view your work!

Badsim

Yes , I know what you mean .
I think that I begin to understand the trouble I get seeing your cities ... despite the fact that closer views bothered me .

That's something else than complexity (or realistic clutter ) . Something more .
Things don't look to be just "put there" , coming from nowhere , in 2007 ... It seems that they have had to grow - I know that it was the original purpose of the game but nowhere else I 've got this feeling so strong -, they have had to grow the ones against the others by a irrepressible necessity just like this highway A58 ! Each building , each road (or another piece of the network ) have had to find its place through the global history ... It was not thought by someone in particular , because obviously a city isn't the result of the thought of someone  in particular ...
For these reasons your cities seem to have a real temporal dimension and their own life .

My interest for the closest details is dying there . Terrific.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

ejc

DUISBURG Rail

Thanx & Credits to Sim-Forum Bat-Team with their rail-cantenaries...  they look just SOOOO German!!!

The new footballstadium, home to MSV Duisburg

Small station in the south ot the city in suburb "Duisburg-GroBenbaum"

Railyards " near Duisburg-Bissingheim" in the south-east of this city

"Duisburg HBF" (main rail-station) seen from the south, entering from Raillines to "Düsseldorf"

More closed-up shot of the railstation, notice signs, fernsehturm (TV-tower in German) and the cantenaries!!

With this last picture we leave "Duisburg" for now and follow the highway A40 towards "Mülheim a/d Ruhr", the next city!!

See you soon on a introduction of "Mülheim a/d Ruhr"

E