• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metarvo

Welcome to 3RR and SC4D, Michael.  My first post was in 3RR, as well.  Make yourself at home here, if you like.  David always appreciates company.  Whether you're interested in new transit options, realistic terraforming, or wonderfully detailed maps, I'm sure you'll find just what you need in 3RR and SC4D.  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

BigSlark

You're still doing great work, David. I'm still not entirely sure if you're working the same game that I am...

I hope all is well in Wasilla and Montana and Texas.

Cheers,
Kevin

bob56

Will there be a possibility of train crashes, or trains "going through each other" with STR to normal rail transitioning? Or will there be some way of regulating trains so they come from both directions on STR, but not at the same time?

Great work, by the way! :thumbsup:
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

Swamper77

It is possible to put a stop point at the transition from 2 tracks to STR, so the trains will wait for the one that is clearing the STR. However, the game is incapable of detecting a train at the other end of that stretch, so the trains will pass through each other on the tracks beyond the transition. Nothing we can really do about that.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

metarvo

If a train crash doesn't happen with STR itself, I doubt it will happen with a transition between STR and normal rail.  The trains will probably just go through each other.  Am I right, David?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

thundercrack83

The train crashing scenario has been explained here, back on Page 267.

Hope that answers any questions!

Dustin

projectadam

Quote from: thundercrack83 on December 07, 2008, 10:43:55 PM
The train crashing scenario has been explained here, back on Page 267.

Hope that answers any questions!

Dustin

Dustin, good catch on this already being discussed so that we do not have a ton of replies touching on the subject again :thumbsup:
The Constitutional Monarchy of Ichigamin

Terraforming Update (8/25/09)

debutterfly

Will the trains crash on the SLR. Just Kidding. ;) Amazing work David. Can't wait for a Beta release.

kalanc69

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that I am still alive and well. Life has taken some unexpected turns over the past few months, and my 3RR/SC4/Computer gaming time has been pretty much non-existent. It all started with my hard drive catching fire and burning to a crisp a few months ago. I managed to save the rest of my computer, but since I was running a RAID 0 configuration I lost EVERYTHING that was on my drives. Since I had lost everything that was on my hard drives I had to begin a search and rescue mission to retrieve any SC4 mods that might have been backed up. Long story short, it took me all of about 2 months to get everything re-installed and working (Hopefully tonight will go fine!). About 2 weeks ago I received a call informing me that my Grandfather had died of a heart attack. We were notified on a Tuesday and were on the road from Texas to Upper Indiana by Wed. Mid morning. Having made it back late Tuesday night I decided to catch up on my reading here (little did I realize that I would need to read 30+ pages just to get caught up!).

David: All I can say is W O W! You have so completely changed the way this game looks and feels that I swear I have purchased a new game! I can't wait to get these new mods installed and working so that I can check them out! I have really enjoyed reading everyone's input, and I look forward to sharing mine once I have had the opportunity to check them all out. You should be seeing more of me around here unless my life decides to take me on another wild ride! Happy belated Thanksgiving and a Merry CHRISTmas and a Happy New Year!

threestooges

Good to see you back around again kalanc69. Sorry to hear that RL has been so tough lately, though I'm glad to hear nothing else caught fire outside of the HD meltdown. Sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing too. I'm glad you're back though. In a way it's a good thing that you're going through and picking up everything again, there have been some interesting developments (and as you have seen, more on the way). Hope your Thanksgiving was good and I hope your Christmas is better. Take it easy.

un1

I wonder where David could have gone... %wrd
Nice progress here since I last visited.

-un1

dedgren

I need to extend the current mini-break that I'm taking right now for just a little bit longer and address something that has really been bothering me for a while.  Please bear with me... this will be short.

As most everyone here knows, I recently gave up my administrator position at this site.  I've not publicly gone into the reasons why, but I will note that I agree wholeheartedly with the notion that, while a position may endure, each occupant should recognize that his or her tenure is only temporary.  When one starts to think of him- or herself in terms of what position he or she holds as opposed to who he or she is, well- it's time to move on.

I always worked very hard to keep what I did here as an administrator separate from what I do here with 3RR.  That said, I found myself with some frequency over the past two years in a position where I would become aware that one of the 3RR Regulars* had become involved in some situation where he or she got sideways with SC4D and the staff as a result had to consider whether some action against the member would be appropriate.  I pretty much held myself out of those discussions and, from time to time, decisions that were made as a result- not because I thought that doing so would somehow have an impact on 3RR, but because I didn't want to give rise to any perception that I was abusing the privilege of being on staff here at the same time I was being given by jeronij a more or less free hand to run 3RR the way I saw fit.  For a long time I was fairly comfortable with that.  I note, in saying this, that I have always sought to make clear that I am intensely loyal to this website.  While I have never said so explicitly, if there would be some conflict between my duties to SC4D and my work here at 3RR, there is no question in my mind which would have to give way.

Over the past few months, I have become increasingly aware of what I will call, for lack of better words, "anti-SC4D sentiment" among some in the community.  I have been appalled to read and hear about things said about this site and about its staff elsewhere in the community, in some instances by folks who are 3RR Regulars and who I consider friends.  I have to say that some of these statements have left me with a sense of deep upset- to the extent that people feel that way, why would they not take a few moments and talk with me about what is on their mind?  I'm around pretty much every day- it is hard to imagine that something is so urgent to get off one's chest that there would not be time to stop for just a bit and talk about it with the friend or colleague who might conceivably be hurt or offended.  What I might have said in response might not have made any difference, but at least I would not wind up blindsided and wondering why someone who makes great posts in 3RR would have such awful things to say about 3RR's home.

So now I am just David, the guy that does 3RR.  I don't have to worry about that potential conflict of interest any more- I am just another voice that the staff here can hear, but I don't participate in any decisions about how the site is run.  I still have a very special relationship with jeronij, but I never was one to tell him what to do before and certainly will not now.  The important thing is this- I am just as intensely loyal to this site as I always was, but now I am free to deal with things at 3RR without any sense that I might be abusing some advantage I have.  I will thus make my policy, from now forward very clear.

If you want at any place or at any time to say things that slur SC4D, jeronij or its staff and you want to continue to be a 3RR Regular, you had better be prepared to be one or the other- it's your choice.  As I said, I've been given a great deal of autonomy in running this little corner of the site.  I can choose who has access here and who does not, whatever the status of membership in good standing at SC4D might be.  I would hope, in light of that, you would choose wisely.

I will not repeat what I've said here again, nor do I wish to see discussion or comments in 3RR about it...

...in other words, please don't post any...

...so, I thank you for your kind attention to what I've said, and I look forward to getting back to the business at hand.  Feel free, as always, to PM me if you would wish to address anything with me at any time.

David

*  A 3RR Regular is anyone who has ever posted in this thread or over at SC4D at least once.  Please don't have me rethinking that criteria.

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

homefryes

You are more than "just David," you are a creative genius; and we all look forward to you returning to 3RR from your mini-break refreshed and de-stressed. :satisfied: Please take your time and know you are missed! Take care...

— Don
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

catty

David

I hope you, your family and friends have a great christmas, and you come back refreshed and ready to continue with 3RR.

from your long term lurker  ()lurker()

Cathy

EDIT:
Having come back and read wes.janson post
I wholeheartedly agree with his comments and very well put.
Thank You Wes.Janson  &apls
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

nerdly_dood

I've been loving the things you've been doing for SC4 in 3RR, so I definitely wouldn't want to lose my access to 3RR. All I have to say is that yes, SC4D administration is strict, but I've just gotten used to it.

Enjoy your break and...

My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

sithlrd98

Have a good break David , you deserve it! Happy Holidays to you and your family (but don't forget about us!) We'll be waiting to see some more great things here at 3RR!

Jayson

wes.janson

I'd like to comment about your post David.

I, as well, have noticed on other SC4 sites people complaining about SC4D and it is something that boggles my mind at times. Maybe it's because I have yet to have a negative experience on this site, or maybe it's because I understand that I am allowed to be part of the SC4 community via SC4D at the leisure of the Admins. No one forced me to create an account, or make my first post, or do anything other than lurk. All that has been asked of me is to follow simple rules and regulations put forth by people who put a lot of energy, time, and commitment into making this community the best it can be. One of the, if not the main, reasons I chose to become a member of this site is because of the way it is run. I enjoy knowing that I can read through a forum and not have to encounter profanity or blatent ignorance. I like knowing that if I were to ask for help that someone would take time out of their schedule to lend a hand. In a world of people who become more and more inconsiderate as the years go by, it's nice to find a small piece that, for the most part, just wants people to be, shall I say it, nice to each other.

Not to single you out (because we all know that you aren't the only one and this is the 3RR forum), but you are a shining example of the potential of this community. The time and effort you put forth into make a 5 year old game, not only still playable, but better than it could have ever hoped to be. Not because you want it for yourself, but because you want it for all of us who can't even comprehend what it takes to break the game barriers the way you (and others) have.

So, instead of talking trash, I am going to thank you David and others for everything you do.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

girlfromverona

It never ceases to amaze me that there are people out there who bite the hand that feeds them. I guess some people just like conflict more than others. This site is a wonderful resource in the SC4 community, and I am very grateful to all who contribute to it.

Hope you're having a relaxing break, David! Sorry I haven't been around much recently, but I always get a thrill when I do come on here and see all the amazing things you're working on.  :thumbsup:

Darmok

Very well said David,
I'm really saddened to see the negative route that a lot of people are so easily taking these last years.
It looks like they take for granted the efforts that other are making and then, when those efforts don't lead to something they specifically want they decide to vilify the hard work that those people have made.
What is it with society nowadays that some people will choose to "curse the darkness" instead of "lighting a candle".... (citation from an old chinese proverb which is oh so true... )
To sum it up, I'm with you on this topic.
Have a great break, rest (if you can  ::)  )....
Regards
-John
P.S. Hats of to Jeroni and all the admins to cope with the madness of running this website!
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=112.last#last

If you have a closed mind, do the same with your mouth

Badsim

We certainly read the same things , I sent a PM to Jeroni a few weeks ago , not to tell him what I read and where , but to congratulate him about the without faintness moderation here , at SC4D .
Let dogs bark , David ... there are other musics ....

... and come back soon , stronger than ever .

Cédric . :thumbsup:

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °