• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Just a taste . . . I have to thank smoncrie and his latest developments for this. ;)

Regarding the cloverleaf idea, it's an interesting idea, and one been tossed around a bit.  I don't think a full quarter-cloverleaf piece is the solution, though.  The issue with building those types of interchanges is not with the outer ramps, but rather, the inner loops.  The best solution, in my opinion, would be to create a puzzle piece consisting of nothing but the actual loop ramp itself.  It could be connected into the RHW through the existing MIS Ramp Interface structure, allowing for a single piece to be usable by all RHW networks. 

Of course, if I really wanted to be modular, I could break the Loop Ramps into quarters, and then break the existing Ground/Elevated transitions into quarters as well . . .

-Alex (Tarkus)

b22rian

hello...

i just wanted to mention the problem that dtp reported a few days ago with the mis flipping.. when it crossed
the rhw -2 is more than just a textural one.. it is a functional one as well.. but seems to only occur in the following
conditions..

1) you have rhw-2 that runs in a north -south direction..
2) the mis is dragged from a west to eat direction only...
3) the mis is draw through the rhw-2 passed the intersection and continues east bound..
   (I think there was some misunderstanding here that 2 seperate mis segments were drawn from both
    the west to the east as well as the east to the west creating an intersection from 2 differing
    directions on the rhw- 2..)  but its only in the instance of one mis segment being dragged through
   the rhw-2 in just the one direction..
4) traffic on the mis will travel from west toward the east .. so yellow line on the top or north side...

what occurs is the mis will flip one tile from the intersection (yellow line now on the bottom and stay
flipped the wrong way through the intersection and beyond..

( all this is shown very nicely in dtp's pics he posted a few postings back..)

the pathing also shows its going the wrong direction once u get the one tile away from the rhw-2 ...

im aware there are some buggy maxis things going on with the game in terms of certain directional orientations
with the pathing.. so thought perhaps that had something to do with this.. similar to what i experienced when
testing out some of cogeo's stations awhile back..

thanks, Brian

deathtopumpkins

thanks for backing me up on that Brian, and you nailed it! Hopefully now someone will understand what I was trying to report.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Haljackey

Hmm... Still not exactly sure what you are talking about, but I do remember a similar issue was caused in RHW 2.0.  The only difference in 2.0 was the MIS turned into a RHW-2 instead of flipping directions.

Nevertheless, you can place a MIS starter piece on the other side of the intersection that should override the MIS changing directions.  When everything is fully connected and working properly, destroy the MIS starter on the other side. 

I used a similar method making tight loop curves with RHW 2.0.  However with the fixes included in 3.0, this is no longer needed. 

Hope this helps!

Best,
-Haljackey

WC_EEND

what I noticed is that it is impossible to make an el. RHW4 cross GLR: the part where it crosses is the GLR is automatically converted to ground RHW4 the rest stays EL.RHW4
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

pitty

Hi everybody,

I'm pritty new around here but there is just one thing i have to say: I really really love this Mod. It made me play Sim-City 4 again after i took a break of nearly 2 years. This Mod really enlarges the possibilities of urban planning and it looks just great. :thumbsup: &apls
GREAT WORK TARKUS!

So far i would like to show an idea for a european texture set I would like to use in my cities. What do you think about it?

MandelSoft

Looks good, but it can use a grassy median.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

io_bg

Nice job on the textures! But in my opinion I think it'll look better with darker asphalt.
And those MIS curves a few posts above are great!  :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

toxicpiano

Quote from: pitty on January 21, 2009, 09:05:58 AM
Hi everybody,

I'm pritty new around here but there is just one thing i have to say: I really really love this Mod. It made me play Sim-City 4 again after i took a break of nearly 2 years. This Mod really enlarges the possibilities of urban planning and it looks just great. :thumbsup: &apls
GREAT WORK TARKUS!

So far i would like to show an idea for a european texture set I would like to use in my cities. What do you think about it?

It looks very nice. I agree though that it would like nicer with dark asphalt like shadow assassin's  :)
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Haljackey on January 21, 2009, 07:07:43 AM
Nevertheless, you can place a MIS starter piece on the other side of the intersection that should override the MIS changing directions.  When everything is fully connected and working properly, destroy the MIS starter on the other side.

Hal, as I've been saying all along, placing a starter piece does not fix it.

Tarkus

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 21, 2009, 12:30:07 AM
thanks for backing me up on that Brian, and you nailed it! Hopefully now someone will understand what I was trying to report.

Yes, I know what you're running into--it's a stability issue with the RHW-2/MIS Intersections.  I'll take a look at it and should be able to fix it by the next time we update NAM Essentials.

Quote from: WC_EEND on January 21, 2009, 07:27:07 AM
what I noticed is that it is impossible to make an el. RHW4 cross GLR: the part where it crosses is the GLR is automatically converted to ground RHW4 the rest stays EL.RHW4

Yes, that is correct.  GLR Undercrossings are not supported on the Elevated RHW-4 and MIS yet, and only Orthogonal ones are supported with the ground RHW-2 and RHW-4.  That will change in a near future release, however. ;)

And pitti, thanks for the kind words, and that's some nice work there!  The more the merrier with texture sets, I say. :)

-Alex (Tarkus)

jmvl

Thank you, Warrior and Tarkus for the fast answer.

Quote from: Tarkus on January 20, 2009, 03:01:44 PM
Well, it could be done, but it would be a Pandora's Box--if we were to do that with every network out there, and with every single RHW ramp transition and MIS Ramp Interface, it'd literally amount to hundreds of puzzle pieces to account for every possible combination.  The puzzle piece RUL File would possibly even get overloaded.  (There is actually a finite number of puzzle pieces that can be added--we're not close to hitting it right now, but a project like that would do it in.  The RHW will probably spill out the range Tropod allotted for it at some point in the not-too-distant future, though.)

-Alex (Tarkus)

I need overpasses for just a few transitions and on and off ramps:
- RHW-8 Dual RHW-4 Splitter
- RHW-6S Entrance/exit ramp style C
- RHW-8 to RHW-6S
- Maybe RHW-6S to RHW-4

I think I can create them by myself, but I don't know how. ()what() I can read out the RuralHighwayMod.dat file with Ilive's Reader. But I don't know which files I have to copy and change. Can somebody please help me? Just send me a personal message. I'll use other IID's for this than the ones that are allotted for the RHW. Thanks in the advance.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Tarkus on January 21, 2009, 11:42:52 AM
Yes, I know what you're running into--it's a stability issue with the RHW-2/MIS Intersections.  I'll take a look at it and should be able to fix it by the next time we update NAM Essentials.

Thanks Alex! That would be much appreciated.  ;D

Jonathan

I don't see why special puzzle pieces couldn't be created for going over those orange tiles though as they are techincally draggable and you can put a puzzle piece over draggable.

Jonathan

pagenotfound

i like those curves. Very use full in all kinds of interchanges.
Speaking of curves is there a curve for RHW 2??
Im back baby! Everybody do the Bendah!

sim_link

pagenotfound, to my knowledge there are currently no curve pieces for RHW-2.

io_bg

sim_link, look at the picture with the MIS at the top of the page - on the far right I can see a rhw2 curve (probably a 90 degree one)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

JoeST

Hey, just a suggestion/question: the RHW textures, where are they? are they all in a single file? or are they mixed up with the other parts of the mod?

I was just thinking that if they were all in a (some) separate files, then it would be much easier for replacement mods to be made, and would save space

The same thought could be applied to the NAM as a whole too

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Tarkus

Quote from: io_bg on January 21, 2009, 01:56:07 PM
sim_link, look at the picture with the MIS at the top of the page - on the far right I can see a rhw2 curve (probably a 90 degree one)

Maybe. ::)

In thinking a little bit more about jmvl's quandry with the overpasses, I did think of another possible solution which would be more flexible than making even more puzzle pieces--draggable transitions between the various RHW networks.  The existing overpass pieces can thus be used, since there would be no other puzzle piece or Puzzle Drag Stub to cross.  I have an idea of how to set it up already, too. 

Quote from: JoeST on January 21, 2009, 02:02:55 PM
Hey, just a suggestion/question: the RHW textures, where are they? are they all in a single file? or are they mixed up with the other parts of the mod?

All the textures for the RHW are included in the main RuralHighwayMod.dat file in the FSH format.  Just about everything else in the mod aside from the RULs are also contained.  However, if you were to just open it up in SC4Tool under Texture Scanner, it's possible to see just the textures, extract all of them as PNGs with the proper IIDs without having to bother with the rest of it.

Unless you have Vista, which doesn't like SC4Tool. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

choco

Quote from: Tarkus on January 21, 2009, 04:45:08 PM
However, if you were to just open it up in SC4Tool under Texture Scanner, it's possible to see just the textures, extract all of them as PNGs with the proper IIDs without having to bother with the rest of it.
oh thank you, sir!   :)

i was manually scanning for specific textures in the reader.....ugh!