• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike3775

Quote from: noahclem on January 24, 2012, 02:58:56 PM
It is very nice to see the FARR piece in game David  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Tarkus on January 24, 2012, 02:13:20 PM
Quote from: Shadow Assassin on January 22, 2012, 08:26:15 PM
WAVERide can be used for FAR pieces but the implementation is a problem... there's really only two people who know how to do it at the moment - Tarkus and BlueLightning. Both of them have their own projects to deal with, so it's not really a priority.

Actually, in total, there's 5 people with WAVERide capability--two of them (sadly) are no longer active, however.

-Alex

Yeah, I figured that one was extremely unlikely to happen. I guy can dream though  :D  And somehow I'd hoped that if such a piece was created once it wouldn't be as hard to port it over to other networks (RD2, DTR, and RHW-4 might be higher priorities than TTR). The question begging to be asked though is who's the third active NAMite capable of creating these beasts. Or perhaps they'd prefer to remain anonymous for fear of getting mobbed with requests  :D

Considering how some on this site act, would you want to admit to being able to do anything these days?

Tarkus

That's why I'm not going to divulge who it is.  Witness protection. $%#Ninj2 $%Grinno$%

-Alex

mike3775

Quote from: Tarkus on January 24, 2012, 04:08:04 PM
That's why I'm not going to divulge who it is.  Witness protection. $%#Ninj2 $%Grinno$%

-Alex

I don't blame you and I sure as hell don't blame the 3rd person for not saying anything either, I know I wouldn't

ivo_su

Quote from: Tarkus on January 24, 2012, 04:08:04 PM

-Alex

The third of  NAM capable of something like 99% I'm sure it can only be Jonathan. He is king of  RUL's coding and therefore could not deal with these beasts. Sorry to reveal the identity of a protected witness.

- Ivo

dedgren

Heh!  I dodged that little exchange.  I can tell you that it certainly isn't me.

Progress is back to being made.

I spent a lot of time yesterday learning how to use (scratching the surface, as it appears) the Gimp.  It allows me to create PNG RKT0 transit textures with an alpha channel- something my beloved PSP X4 cannot do.  The reason this was necessary is that NAM Team member jondor has created a great new PNGtoFSH tool  you can find here [linkie].  It allows the use of...

...caution, techie-speak ahead...

...RKT0 instead of RKT3 exemplars in the puzzle pieces.  That reduces the time creating them by over half, but most importantly gives us room within the ID range for all 40 or so pieces.

More progress tonight, as I have put a corned beef in my pressure cooker and thus dinner is on autopilot.

UPDATE:  Here's another.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

calibanX

As I'm adding rail lines to the region I'm working on I'm knowing I'll have to one day soon blow it all up to play with the TTR. Looking forward to it!

Love the teasers David.

Geoff

EDIT:  Geoff, your comment made me think of Harbinger from Hot Shots, Part Deux [linkie]:  "I'm gonna go back to Eagle River and marry my gal, Edith Mae.  Gonna get us a nice little place with a white picket fence.  You know the kind.  Two-car garage.  Maybe a fishing boat.  And in years, when they're all paid for...

...I'll set my charges and blow the sh-t out of them."

Be sure and take pics
. -de
Where City and Country Flow Together

abcvs

Hello my name is Craig and it has been 16 pages since my last visit... now all read and caught up on.  Much has happened since then, in RL and in the SC world it would seem.

I think that I may have to up the rate of my semi-bi-annual posting...  as there is lots of exciting stuff going on around here.  I have just had a bit of a hiatus on playing the game myself, but have recently in the last couple of weeks picked it up again.   SC4 is like that.

Oh...  I was most honoured to have my avatar used in your competition a few pages back!   Awesome!

Well I shall certainly pop back a little more often to check on the progress of the TTR...   looking great!

Oh and I better get my guess in for the 1M...

April 27, 4.03 pm AST.

*My youngest son's birthday and the time I catch my train home.

Ethan is on the left and Liam is on the right... I am the good looking one...  although how did I end up with the wooden building blocks under my laptop, instead of the USB powered cooling mat?

EDIT:  Craig, welcome to your sixth straight year of posting at 3RR.  Thanks for the kind words and the great friendship.  Those are good looking kids, too, and I trust all that they are running on those 'puters is SC4 and maybe some educational software.  Don't be a stranger! -de

dedgren

I love Excel, even if it is one more way Bill Gates gains access to your wallet.  There's never been, in my experience, a spreadsheet program to match it for features and ease of use.  There's a small learning curve each time MS changes its look and layout around every couple of years, but that's need just to find where things are that I have over 25 years worth of experience using it (it was one one of the first real programs I bought (MacWrite and MacPaint were free at the time!) for my 128K Mac, I believe in 1985).

I finally got to sit down and run our Million View Contest through a spreadsheet.  While the mechanics needn't concern us here, I figured the number of minutes into the year for 2:00 p.m. AST (GMT-9) on January 15th, which was when we reached 900,000 page views.  That number, in case you are interested, is 35,340.

I then set up the spreadsheet to allow me to plug in the current date, time and number of 3RR page views.  Excel then calculates how many minutes have passed since reaching 900K views, and what the current average rate of page views is by minute and by day.  Since the 15th, we are averaging about .96 (just under one) view per minute, which is just barely under 1,376 views per day.

This information in hand, we can then proceed on to calculate, based on that current average, when we would reach a million views.  Excel says that, if we continued to average 1,376 views per day from 1:00 p.m. (again, AST) today forward, 3RR would have its millionth view on March 27, 2012, at about 0616 (24 hour time for 6:16 a.m.).

So what does that mean for our 29 (so far, I'd love to see many more) contest entrants?  Well, as the saying kinda goes, there's an Excel spreadsheet for that, too.  Here's the current entrants sorted by distance, both short and over, from the aforesaid projection.

The columns I hope are fairly self-explanatory.  There's the entry number, which is the order the entries were made in.  The entrant's member nic.  The date and, in the next column, the time of reaching a million views is predicted (please note that the date and time are converted to AST from whatever time was specified in the post stating the entry- more about that later in this post), the average views per minute from 1:00 p.m. today that 3RR would need for the entrant's prediction to be correct, the actual current average views per minute, the average views per day needed, the actual current average views per day, and finally the bottom line- how far under or over (or on, but nobody's there right now) the mark the entrant's prediction is.

Thus Art (art128), who kindly thought 3RR would reach a million views on Valentines Day (February 14th) at 1414 (2:14 p.m. AST), would need almost three views per minute, or over three times the current average, between now and that date in order to win.  That's a little over 4,300 views per day, and I don't think in my wildest dreams that we will reach that much less keep such a pace up on a sustained basis.  The last column summarizes the bad news, noting that close to an additional 3,000 views per day would be needed before our friend's dream would become a reality.  Thanks, Art, in any event.  You are now the founding member of the 3RR Optimists Club, and suitable recognition will be forthcoming.

At the other end of the chart is vortext, who predicts 3RR's millionth page view at precisely 1:47 p.m. (1347) on June 28th, over five long months from now.  I have to wonder what our friend knows that I don't, although based on the number of average views predicted I'd say he is sticking near 3RR's long-term (2006-2012) average of about 500 views per day.  vortext would need views to fall by over 800 a day from current levels in order to be right.

Then in the middle and closest to the mark is our friend Rady, who predicts a million views on March 28th at 1215 (12:15 p.m.).  That's only about five and a half views a day from the current pace, and looks at this early date like a pretty good guess.  There's several folks 100 daily views either side of Rady who are also what I'd characterize as pretty darn close at this point.

Me?  I'm still a believer in March 12, 2012, at 1403 (2:03 p.m.), which is 3RR's sixth birthday.  I'll need to see a hefty increase in views per day to see that happen, but there are a number of things planned during the next month or so that should garner some pretty substantial interest if past performance is taken as an indicator of future results.  Again, we'll see.  Amazing things seem to happen here, in any event.

On a closing note, two things.  First, you still have until midnight on January 31st to submit your entry by posting it here in 3RR.  Read the rules [linkie] beforehand, please.  Good luck!  Second, if you have entered, please check the date and time on the above chart for accuracy.  I have been known to make the boo-boo every so often, and I want to be sure here that I've been accurate.  If I am in error, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Back to puzzle piece making.

David

p.s.  Robin (rooker1), thanks so much for the yoeman's work of keeping track of the entries since the contest started.  You are a great and true friend. -de

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Lowkee33

:D

Nice tutorial on puzzle pieces too, btw.

mike3775

I really hope the third member was not outed, if he was, thats just wrong

Those are looking good David, its simply amazing how much you have accomplished in just a short amount of time

art128

Quote from: dedgren on January 25, 2012, 03:51:31 PMThanks, Art, in any event.  You are now the founding member of the 3RR Optimists Club, and suitable recognition will be forthcoming.

hehe, that made me smile before heading to bed, thanks David!  :P
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

abcvs

Aww...  looks like I may have landed my prediction a little long ...  but then so did Neil Armstrong on the moon!  ...and the Lunar Module only had a 12K computer, to do it with!

apeguy

Nice job with the spreadsheet. :thumbsup:

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

dedgren

It's been a while since we've done any 3RR honors.  When Arthur (art128) became the region's official optimist earlier today, I guess I got, errr... inspired.  I'd heard of the Optimist Club, but had no idea this great outfit was active in 3RR.  Just like in the midwestern U.S. and central Canada, those Optimist International signs show up at the region's city, town and village limits.

Per Wikipedia, the Optimists are an organization with a great mission.

QuoteOptimist International is an international service club organization with 3,200 clubs and almost 100,000 members in more than 35 nations throughout the world. The international headquarters is located in St. Louis, Missouri.

Optimist International is also the sponsor of Junior Optimist Octagon International, designed for elementary through high school youth. Optimist International's motto is "Friend of Youth" and the organization also uses the branding statement "Bringing Out the Best in Kids." Optimist Clubs demonstrate their caring attitude by carrying out the mission of the organization, "By providing hope and positive vision, Optimists bring out the best in kids."

Optimist International is made up of autonomous Optimist Clubs that do work in their communities. Each club raises its own funds and chooses its own service projects to improve the lives of children. Examples of typical projects are sponsoring youth athletic leagues, scholarship essay and speech contests and supporting local schools.

So, it made perfect sense that Arthur would be... an optimist.

I even found the 3RR club's webpage, which is just as difficult as finding 3RR in Google Maps.

So, my friend.  Thanks again for being a part of Three Rivers Region and for your outstanding support over the years.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

calibanX

Now that's some serious Excel work. David, you are definitely WINNING!

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

Rady

Quote from: dedgren on January 25, 2012, 03:51:31 PM
Then in the middle and closest to the mark is our friend Rady, who predicts a million views on March 28th at 1215 (12:15 p.m.).  That's only about five and a half views a day from the current pace, and looks at this early date like a pretty good guess.

Whooopppieeee! I can see the light of victory shining on me!  :P At least until you release the next extrapolation ... so I better have my glass of champagne right now, before the light of victory passes me and moves on ...

If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

rooker1

Quote from: dedgren on January 25, 2012, 03:51:31 PM
p.s.  Robin (rooker1), thanks so much for the yoeman's work of keeping track of the entries since the contest started.  You are a great and true friend. -de

No need for any thanks my friend. 
I did that work for you for very, very selfish reasons......I wanted to keep your mind on TTR!! ;)
Now, get back to work......please.

BTW, great work on that excel chart.  I'm still very optimistic with my guess.
I love excel.  I keep track of a lot of daily stats at my work place using excel.

Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

vortext

Actually I did make an educated guess with the average in mind but I'm pretty sure views won't drop that low if you keep up your amazing work. And you mean you to tell me there won't be any acknowledgement for the person who is most of?!  $%Grinno$%

Really fun reading time you provided  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

dedgren

Well, I goofed!

I posted here a few minutes ago a Million Views Contest update that I thought showed some fairly significant movement.  It seemed intuitively right, as we've had about 1,200 views in the last 18 hours.  The problem was that I neglected to change the Julian date in the calculations I set up.  I've now fixed that.

As you can see, our friend Rady is still sitting fairly pretty, although not as close as yesterday.  I need to remind everyone as well that the winner's prediction cannot be past the actual time.  So, if the outcome was determined today it would be Gordon (Battlecat) who would walk away with the honors.

There's still a lot of time for more or less daily page views to greatly influence the outcome.  I'm still happy with my prediction.  We'll see.

Newest puzzle pieces in a bit.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...