• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Traffic Simulator and Data View Help

Started by z, January 18, 2009, 05:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z

The NAM Traffic Simulator

The NAM Traffic Simulator is a traffic simulator that is derived from the original Maxis traffic simulator, but is also built upon the knowledge gained from all previous NAM traffic simulators, including work by the7trumpets, Tropod, jplumbley, Mott, and z.  It uses the Simulator Z core; what makes it a unified simulator is that it makes available to the player all the main features found in all previous traffic simulators.  What makes this possible is the Traffic Simulator Customization Tool (TSCT), which can be used to customize the NAM Simulator in any of these ways, and it also allows the ordinary player to safely customize the traffic simulator in ways that were not possible previously.  The TSCT is available as an option in the NAM installer when the option "I want to build a custom simulator" is chosen; it is also available as part of the NAM Traffic Subsystem.

Since the NAM Simulator evolved from Simulator Z, many of the features listed here for the NAM Simulator were also present in various versions of Simulator Z.  However, many of these versions were never released together with the NAM, and so most people will be seeing the features they contained for the first time here.

One of the main areas of the work on the NAM Simulator involved increasing the efficiency of the pathfinder to close to its theoretical maximum.  One of the main ways this was accomplished was by using a much more accurate version of the "perfect pathfinding" heuristic than had been available in previous traffic simulators.  Also, the Sims' maximum commute time was increased to be closer to real-world conditions. These changes allow a smoother distribution of traffic throughout the city, with typically less congestion. At the same time, the congestion that does exist no longer leads to abandonment due to commute time; Sims know that they occasionally have to sit through traffic jams, and are a bit more patient. Better pathfinding also means that Sims act much smarter about finding jobs and routes to them; this also results in less abandonment due to commute time. As in the real world, zones can be farther apart without causing problems; this is especially helpful when building existing cities to scale. Finally, running the pathfinder with near-optimum settings allows the simulator to run up to several times as fast as previous traffic simulators.

The second major area of work on the NAM Simulator involved a more flexible distribution of traffic among the various travel types. In combination with the pathfinder upgrading, this allows buses to be counted toward traffic and congestion, just like all other vehicles. This is a significant change from all previous simulators, and it's an important point to remember when planning your transportation infrastructure. More flexible distribution of traffic also means that the NAM Simulator is much more dynamic about allowing Sims to choose their transportation. In cities with excellent highways and road capacity, car usage has been measured at over six times that of previous simulators. Yet for cities with less extensive road networks and reasonable mass transit, car usage is actually less than in previous traffic simulators.

For those who wish to have a deeper understanding of the principles behind the traffic simulator, A Guide to the Operation of the Traffic Simulator is recommended. 

Other changes in the NAM Simulator include the following:

• More realistic subway costs.  Subways in Sim City are tremendously underpriced compared to the real world.  The improvements to the pathfinder have made huge networks of subways less necessary, so the monthly cost for subway tiles has been multiplied by six to add more realism.
  • More realistic air pollution due to traffic.  Until now, the amount of air pollution emitted by traffic has been unchanged from the original game, where it was based on cities that had far less traffic capacity than that used by any of the current simulators.  To keep the amount of air pollution emitted by traffic to a more realistic amount, the proportion of traffic air pollution to actual traffic has been lowered in the NAM Simulator.  This lower proportion is linked to the Clean Air Act, so it is in effect only when the Clean Air Act is enabled.
  • More accurate numbers for the Commute Time Graph.  Due to a bug in the game, it is impossible to get accurate Commute Time Graph numbers for all situations.  However, the NAM Simulator has adjusted the scaling of this graph to provide reasonably accurate numbers for most situations.
  • Improved intersection effects.  Despite the appearance of stoplights at intersections, Sims don't actually stop; they don't even slow down unless congestion is present around the intersection.  the NAM Simulator provides much more congestion around heavily-traveled intersections, thereby doing a better job of simulating stop lights and stop signs.
  • Greater monorail and high speed rail usage.  Due to a bug in the game, monorail and HSR usage is generally less than it should be, sometimes by quite a bit.  The NAM Simulator compensates for this bug by raising monorail usage to appropriate levels.
  • Monorails and High Speed Rail have been fixed to contribute to and be affected by traffic congestion, just like all other vehicles

The following features are new as of the May 2010 NAM:

• Greater highway usage.  The traffic simulator has been tuned so that Sims use highways much more than ever before.  This usage still tends to fall short of real world usage, though, due to the structure of the game.  The amount of rapid transit available in a city will also have a big effect on highway usage.
  • All mass transit speeds have been recalibrated to provide a more realistic simulation.
  • Improved customer levels for businesses.
  • Capacities and speeds of one-way roads have been raised to duplicate the real-world advantage of these roads.
  • Street capacities have been raised so that they reflect the capacities implied by their speed limits.

There are Park and Ride versions of the NAM Simulator; these can be enabled with the Traffic Simulator Customization Tool, mentioned above.  Park and Ride changes the game slightly so that cars cannot reach their destination directly.  Instead, those Sims who prefer to drive must park near some sort of mass transit station, and then take mass transit to the stop closest to their workplace.  From here, they must walk the rest of the way.  For this to work well, you need to have an extensive mass transit system.  You also need to build parking lots and/or parking garages near key mass transit stops; generally the best places are at the edges of your residential areas that are closest to your jobs.  Or you could just build parking facilities near the Sims' jobs (the ones that come with buildings generally don't count), but this really defeats the main purpose of Park and Ride.  If you choose the Park and Ride version of a simulator, but don't build extra parking facilities, your game will not work very well at all.  I have found RalphaelNinja's Ninja Boulevard Station and Ninja Boulevard Kiosk to be very useful in general, and particularly useful for Park and Ride, as they both contain large underground garages.  I have enclosed modified lot files for both of these stations at the end of this post; the modifications bring the monthly cost down to be more in line with similar stations, and they also double the capacity, bringing them more in line with RTMT (and making them especially useful for Park and Ride).  Since the exquisite design of these stations must have cost a lot of money, I left the plop cost alone.  Also, since I have enclosed only the lot files, if you don't have these stations already, you'll need to download them from the above links.

What are the different versions of the NAM Simulator, and how are they used?

The NAM Simulator comes in five versions - Classic, Low, Medium, High, and Ultra.  The name of the version refers to the network capacities in the simulator.  The following is a list of the network capacities for each version of the simulator; all capacities are per tile:

[tabular type=2]
[row] [head]Network[/head] [head]Classic[/head] [head]Low[/head] [head]Medium[/head] [head]High[/head] [head]Ultra[/head] [/row]
[row] [data]Street[/data] [data]100[/data] [data]1500[/data] [data]2400[/data] [data]3600[/data] [data]7200[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Road[/data] [data]1200[/data] [data]2400[/data] [data]4000[/data] [data]6000[/data] [data]12,000[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Avenue[/data] [data]1400[/data] [data]2400[/data] [data]4000[/data] [data]6000[/data] [data]12,000[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]One-way Road[/data] [data]1800[/data] [data]3600[/data] [data]6000[/data] [data]9000[/data] [data]18,000[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Rail[/data] [data]3000[/data] [data]10,000[/data] [data]16,000[/data] [data]30,000[/data] [data]65,200[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Subway[/data] [data]3000[/data] [data]10,000[/data] [data]16,000[/data] [data]30,000[/data] [data]65,200[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Elevated Rail[/data] [data]3000[/data] [data]10,000[/data] [data]16,000[/data] [data]30,000[/data] [data]65,200[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Monorail[/data] [data]3000[/data] [data]10,000[/data] [data]16,000[/data] [data]30,000[/data] [data]65,200[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]RHW[/data] [data]2700[/data] [data]6000[/data] [data]10,000[/data] [data]15,000[/data] [data]30,000[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Highway[/data] [data]4000[/data] [data]9000[/data] [data]15,000[/data] [data]22,500[/data] [data]45,000[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Ground Highway[/data] [data]4000[/data] [data]9000[/data] [data]15,000[/data] [data]22,500[/data] [data]45,000[/data] [/row]
[/tabular]

Which simulator version is appropriate for a particular city depends primarily on two things:  the population of the city, and the amount of rapid transit (rails) available.  Less capacity is needed for lower population cities, but less capacity is also required for cities with a lot of rapid transit.  For example, a city of two million Sims has been run quite successfully using the Low capacity version of the NAM Simulator, but it had an extremely extensive subway system.  So pick a simulator version based on these two factors; if it doesn't seem the right capacity, you can always switch it out for a different capacity version.  Experience has shown that in large cities, the effects of such a switch may take up to five years to fully manifest.  You can tell when things have stabilized by looking at the Traffic Volume Graph in the following way:  First, let the game run until there is a sudden shift in traffic patterns.  Sometimes, this may take over a year.  Then run the game until you go at least a full year without any sudden change in traffic patterns.  At that point, the transition to the new capacity simulator is complete.

Installing the NAM Simulator

The NAM Simulator is installed during the NAM installation.  If you've already installed the NAM, you can reinstall the simulator by installing and running the NAM Traffic Subsystem.

Traffic Volume View and Other New Data Views

The Traffic Volume View included with the NAM as of the June, 2009 version offers a number of improvements to the view included with the game.  Rather than the seven shades of blue  in the original, this version uses the full spectrum of color, including approximately 48 distinct  color shades.  The maximum volume shown for each travel type has been increased from a flat 1200 for all types in the originalTraffic Volume View to a value which is 300% of the capacity of the underlying network for the selected travel type.  (Since only one commute period is shown at a time, this is one half of the standard network capacity, which is calculated for a full day.)  The legend has been increased from five to nine entries, and each color in the legend is followed by the percentage of the underlying network capacity that that color represents, as well as the actual number of Sims represented by that percentage.  When a travel type may have more than one underlying network (e.g., cars may travel on streets, roads, or highways), a subtext below the legend indicates which network is being referenced in the display.

The colors in the display have been arranged so that they are more concentrated at lower levels, in order to give finer granularity at lower volumes.  Between volumes of 0% and 10%, colors change about every 1.5%.  Between 10% and 130%, colors change about ever 5%.  And between 130% and 300%, colors change about every 10%.  Please note that while every attempt has been made to attain the greatest accuracy possible, all numbers are somewhat approximate.  The numbers following each color in the legend refer to the approximate beginning of the range of that particular color.

You may notice that starting at 100%, the colors closely follow those in the Traffic Congestion View.  However, it is important to keep in mind the difference between theTraffic Congestion View and the  Traffic Volume View.  The Congestion View is compiled from an entire day's travel statistics, while the Volume View refers to only a single commute period.  Therefore, yellow in a single volume view does not necessarily indicate congestion, and blue or green in a single volume view does not necessarily indicate lack of congestion.  An experienced player may be able to look at both commute periods of certain volume views and get a good idea of congestion, but it is necessary to be careful here.

The Traffic Volume View also includes a new Subway View.  The new Subway View acts in most ways like the normal underground Subway View, which is entered by selecting the Subway Tool when you want to build or demolish subways.  However, it has included in it the volume display feature of the Traffic Volume View, which allows you to see the usage of your subways as you are building (or demolishing) them.  Like the rest of the Traffic Volume View, this view shows the volume of traffic in each subway line visible in the main map, as well as in all subway lines in the minimap.

The last feature included in the Traffic Volume View is a new Subway Building View, which is entered whenever you select a subway station to build.  It differs from the standard Subway Building View in that no buildings other than subway stations are displayed; zones are displayed wherever possible; and like the Subway View, the volume of traffic in each subway line visible in the main map, as well as in all subway lines in the minimap.  In addition, zones and transit station locations are shown in the minimap.Finally, most transit station types light up in all volume views.  This does not indicate anything about usage; it is simply so you can identify them easily.  Certain types of transit stations do not light up because of the way they were designed.

A new Zones view is also included with the NAM.  The new Zones view is identical to the Subway Building View, except that subway volume levels are not displayed.  The new Zones view is currently optional (unlike the other data views described above, so you must select it during the NAM installation if you want to have it installed.

It is strongly recommended that you use the DatPacker if you have a substantial number of plugins.  This will not only speed up the loading of your game, but it will also great speed up switching back to the normal view from both the Subway Building View and the Zones View.

Shiftred

Hello Z,
I don't know for sure what my issue is here, but I installed Z-Medium as my traffic simulator for NAM 2009.  I started a completely new city with Z-Medium installed prior and my congestion view shows congestion on my networks at very low levels. I have checked my plugins for any congestion view modds and simulator file conflicts and found none.

I replaced the z-medium with A-hard and the congestion view returned to all green very quickly with the same amount of cars when queried.

Z-medium picture:

z

This is the intersection effect, which is detailed above.  The Sims are actually slowing down at some of your busier intersections!  When you see complete green around an intersection, the Sims aren't even taking their foot off the simulated gas pedal as they zip on through.  This is regardless of whether or not you see stop lights there, or the animated cars slow down and stop.

Mad_genius

Hi Z.

I've read your post about the different versions of the simulator z and I would like to try it with the CAM.
Can you give me some advice about the best version to go along with the CAM?

z

It's really the same advice for non-CAM users; base it on the size of your city and the amount of rapid transit.  If you're specifically building a large CAM city with lots of big buildings, I'd recommend using the High simulator; you can always move to Ultra later if you need it.

Mad_genius

Thanks for the tip.

I spent some time to compare your capacities with the capacities provided in the CAM traffic pathfinder and it seems the high version is the one with more similar capacities so i guess i'll try that version has you said.

retrodude818

And where might one find this Z simulator for the traffic? I would like to download it!

z

It's in the newly-released NAM.  When you install the NAM, click on the plus sign beside ""Click + to select Traffic Controller Files."  You'll find the various versions of Simulator Z there.  Don't select the Park & Ride versions unless you know what they are and what they do.

NaliLeader

I have 2 large cities (100,000+) and I have a lot of medium-sized cities.  Which Z simulator should I use? ()what()
I am not a leader ;)

Dexist

hey what is that park and ride then??

and i have intalled a z-simulator

how can i change it?

i have installed lots and lots of other plugins... can i just reinstall nam? and then select another ?

and what simulator is the best to use?

b22rian

Quote from: NaliLeader on February 08, 2009, 11:10:05 AM
I have 2 large cities (100,000+) and I have a lot of medium-sized cities.  Which Z simulator should I use? ()what()

I think I would try high level first, make sure you run the game for about 6 years or so.. and than check
the amount of congestion in all your cities before making a final decision.. You may want to also try
medium level and see what you get.. And please keep us posted on how it went for you..

Thanks, Brian

b22rian

Quote from: Dexist on February 08, 2009, 01:01:41 PM

how can i change it?

i have installed lots and lots of other plugins... can i just reinstall nam? and then select another ?

I think unless your a very experienced player.. and you have specific reasons for wanting to try
the park and ride version, I would stay with the standard version.. Although its hard for me to advise
you on a a dfficulty setting without knowing the size of your cities currently and also knowing what
levels of congestions you may have with a given version of traffic sim Z..

Do you have any idea what version of traffic sim Z you have already installed ?

Thanks, Brian

b22rian

how can i change it?

sorry dexist.. i forgot to answer this...

No you dont have to re install the entire nam to change to another one of traffic sim z's many versions..
All you have to do is go to your plug in folder in "my documents"... manually take out the current version from the nam folder,... its in the  sub folder  named..."nam traffic  simulator"..

and than replace it with
the version (file) of traffic sim z you want to try out.. You will also want to replace the old volume data view Z file with the appropriate one for the version of Z in which you are replacing...

the name of the files you will want to swap will be something like..

NetworkAddonMod_ traffic_Plugin_Z_ "version name".dat   and

NetworkAddonMod_Volume_data_View_Z_"version".dat

Hope this helps..!

Brian

z

Park and Ride changes the game slightly so that cars cannot reach their destination directly.  Instead, those Sims who prefer to drive must park near some sort of mass transit station, and then take mass transit to the stop closest to their workplace.  From here, they must walk the rest of the way.  For this to work well, you need to have an extensive mass transit system.  You also need to build parking lots and/or parking garages near key mass transit stops; generally the best places are at the edges of your residential areas that are closest to your jobs.  Or you could just build parking facilities near the Sims' jobs (the ones that come with buildings generally don't count), but this really defeats the whole purpose of Park and Ride.

how can i change it?

how can i change it?

Although what Brian said will work, you can also just rerun the NAM installation and choose a different traffic simulator.  As long as all your other choices in the installation are the same, nothing else will change.

For how to choose the best version of the simulator to use, please see the first post on this page. "$Deal"$

retrodude818

Okay folks, I have already installed the new Jan 09 NAM. I want to use the Z simulator, what do I do. I tried to go in and look for the files with the plus sign thing, but then I got lost. Could someone be very nice and give me a "step by step guide for idiots"? Thank you much.

z

You have to choose your traffic simulator during the NAM installation.  Just rerun the installation; there's no harm in doing so.  The "Click + to select Traffic Controller Files" option is near the bottom of the scrollbox in the screen directly after the license agreement.

NaliLeader

Quote from: b22rian on February 08, 2009, 03:27:13 PM
I think I would try high level first, make sure you run the game for about 6 years or so.. and than check
the amount of congestion in all your cities before making a final decision.. You may want to also try
medium level and see what you get.. And please keep us posted on how it went for you..

Thanks, Brian
I am actually fine using the Ultra, but the capacity seems a little high, High will be fine (for now)
I am not a leader ;)

phillosopherp

just as a quick "get a sense from the devs" if I wanted a more "realistic" experience with my cities should I run the low version of Z on all my cities no matter the size? You maybe the medium? Just want to get your take as I am installing it now.

Thanks for the hard work btw, your previous installments have been amazing!

z

I have tried to make the guidelines in the first post result in a realistic experience for all cities.  So in general, I would suggest starting with them first.  And don't go overboard on your use of subways; real cities tend not to be plastered with them.  Keeping subways to a realistic level will also help the simulator act more realistically in general.  If that still doesn't give you the congestion level you think is appropriate, you can always try the next lower capacity simulator.  But I don't think that there's any "one size fits all" answer here.  Good luck, and thanks for the compliment!  :)

VeTram

Hi friend z   :)
perhaps you remember me...i just wanted to say that i have started to use into my Metropolis the new NAM with your simulator z , park and ride enabled and low version . From a first glance i must say that you seem to have done a terrific work .. &apls
just wanted you to know that , as i will follow your thread , as soon as i have news..
Friendly  :thumbsup:

oh! i almost forgotten that....is there any parking lots that you suggest for park and ride?
i have already  used my first parking garage , and i saw for first time 89% usage!...but i imagine that i cannot only use parking garages, so what parking lots do you suggest ? 

oh! someth more (as this is my second edit)....i can see big difference in usage of pedestrian mall tiles ...really do you know how far can sims walk ( as i knew that they are willing to walk just only about 6-8 tiles)...
For every friend of this community , do NOT forget to send me a p.m if ever visit Greece .