• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopCliff

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!! You really need to be on the NAM Team.
Best movie of all time: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If you disagree, Cameron will send your car over a cliff.

Please, call me Leo.  I quote John Lennon now, a great musician and philosopher. Particularly, one of his songs: You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one.

Haljackey

Heblem: Fantastic work!  I have been waiting for something like this for quite a while.

I REALLY like what you have done to the road tool stub (1x1).  Turing it into a parking lot is very useful!

Also, the 90 degree road conner with streets intersecting, up to now, was only included with the Euro-road textures mod, and was something I always wanted with the standard road texture.

This texture fix is a work of art.  All I can say about it is... WOW!

Best,
-Haljackey

Andreas

Turning the 1x1 road stub into a parking lot is simply ingenious indeed. Even if it's only eyecandy, I could think of many situations where this comes in handy. Nice work on the transitions as well, the look a whole lot better than the ones by Maxis!
Andreas

Jonathan

You know if you could make a LHD version ( the little stop lines at the + intersections) That would be more than awesome

JoeST

it would indeed be more awesomerer than it already is... thats just brilliant. Thankyou

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Nardo69

Vester, Andreas posted over at simforum.de you need some catenary pics

Here are some more tramway catenaries photos from me:

Istanbul, steel pipes:

Ettlingen, close to Karlsruhe, Germany, concrete

In General modern tramway catenaries are similar to heavy railway catenaries. The biggest difference is that most heavy railways use high voltage AC (15-25 kV) thus have rather large isolators. Tramway catenaries and wires are rather close to housings etc. because of this they use DC with lower voltage (usually 500-1000V). Because of this they have rather small isolators.

In addition to this tramway speed in Germany is limited to 60 km/h, because of this tramway catenaries have more simple mechanical parts.

Hope I could help.

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

N1_2888

Meine Region E Pluribus Unum

kassarc16

Quote from: Haljackey on January 21, 2008, 11:35:10 AM
Also, the 90 degree road conner with streets intersecting, up to now, was only included with the Euro-road textures mod, and was something I always wanted with the standard road texture.

I'd also requested that way back in the day on a ST thread. Someone posted a quick file that I'm still using, but it kind of fell off the radar. Having that included (and the rest, which are awesome work) would be great, especially if someone knocks those streetlights off and puts a stop sign on the second street. Definitely need versions for the RTLs, those yellow crosswalks are just ugly!

Heblem

Well if you want that little mod you can download here:
http://descargas.capitalsim.net/?sitio=csc&descarga=882

Probably i could make more texture fixes, including to the RHW textures...

Diggis

&apls

Nice work Heblem... Now do them for the SAM...  :P

I would make one suggestion, and that is to edit the T21's to remove the traffic lights from the intersections where you have edited the crossing.

Heblem

Quote from: Diggis on January 22, 2008, 03:26:44 AM
&apls

Nice work Heblem... Now do them for the SAM...  :P

I would make one suggestion, and that is to edit the T21's to remove the traffic lights from the intersections where you have edited the crossing.

Good Idea i'll try that, thanks  :thumbsup:

schm0

Quote from: Warrior on January 21, 2008, 10:46:51 AM
After actually looking in game haveing different textures would not work as if you rotate the camera the pieces that were previously fine now have that glitch.

But that's what I'm saying. You take the one piece that looks correct and replace the one that has the glitch in the current mod. That's why I said "hack" the models or whatever, because when you render one set, they are all bunched into one set of four views at five different zooms for a total of 20 images. You take out five from the altered model and replace the ugly ones with them.
schm0

RebaLynnTS

Quote from: schm0 on January 22, 2008, 10:40:24 AM
But that's what I'm saying. You take the one piece that looks correct and replace the one that has the glitch in the current mod. That's why I said "hack" the models or whatever, because when you render one set, they are all bunched into one set of four views at five different zooms for a total of 20 images. You take out five from the altered model and replace the ugly ones with them.

I'm going to experiment with your idea a bit, to see if it will work.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Tarkus

Quote from: schm0 on January 22, 2008, 10:40:24 AM

What Warrior is alluding to is the fact that there is actually only one model for that piece, used in all rotations and all zoom-levels, so there is, in effect, no way to fix this issue. ;) 

Transit models (aside from bridges) are an entirely different beast than standard BAT models.  Instead of being composed of a composite of isometric faces (which is what happens to BAT models upon render), they are true 3-dimensional models, so the same model is used in all rotations, and sometimes, all zoom levels.  They exist in this form because of the way in which the game handles transit models--otherwise, they will be distorted upon rotation and have missing parts. 

A lot of the pieces in the NAM aren't rendered through standard processes either (they can't be), and some of the pieces are actually generated entirely through mathematical means, from a series of coordinates entered into the "Vert" tab in the Reader. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

Godzillaman

Just a question, when you made the elevated rail station into a heavy rail station, did you purposely make the lot on the straight version 2x1?
"With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound he pulls the spitting high-tension wires down..."

Andreas

Yes, that was done on purpose. Since the original model does not have viaduct props, plopping the lot would have created a gap in the rail viaduct with the size of the lot. Actually, the gap is still there, but only two tiles long - and hidded by the curved roof. Some custom path files ensure that the train automata doesn't "fall" down on ground level in that area, that's why you have to drag a short stretch of rail inside the station in order to activate the paths.
Andreas

Godzillaman

Ah...thanks for clearing that up. ;)
"With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound he pulls the spitting high-tension wires down..."

schm0

Quote from: Tarkus on January 22, 2008, 11:56:41 AM
What Warrior is alluding to is the fact that there is actually only one model for that piece, used in all rotations and all zoom-levels, so there is, in effect, no way to fix this issue. ;) 

Transit models (aside from bridges) are an entirely different beast than standard BAT models.  Instead of being composed of a composite of isometric faces (which is what happens to BAT models upon render), they are true 3-dimensional models, so the same model is used in all rotations, and sometimes, all zoom levels.  They exist in this form because of the way in which the game handles transit models--otherwise, they will be distorted upon rotation and have missing parts. 

A lot of the pieces in the NAM aren't rendered through standard processes either (they can't be), and some of the pieces are actually generated entirely through mathematical means, from a series of coordinates entered into the "Vert" tab in the Reader. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

So the model can only point to one set of textures?

If the NAM transit model is merely a set of vertices that the program uses to define the area and shape of the transit piece, then a separate set of pieces altogether (with a lighter texture) might work, wouldn't it? Such a set would merely consist of on-slope and some ramped (rail to el) pieces.

Sorry, the on-ramp pieces have been a major nuisance of mine and the only true gripe I have ever had with the awesome product that is the NAM.
schm0

Tarkus

Quote from: schm0 on January 22, 2008, 04:36:51 PM
So the model can only point to one set of textures?

Well, the model can actually point to an infinite number of textures, but it can't change textures or where they are applied on rotation.

If the NAM transit model is merely a set of vertices that the program uses to define the area and shape of the transit piece, then a separate set of pieces altogether (with a lighter texture) might work, wouldn't it? Such a set would merely consist of on-slope and some ramped (rail to el) pieces.

Since there'd only be one model for each one of these separate sets, you'd basically just be having a different issue.  If you made a version of it with a lighter texture, it would look too light on some rotations.  You are correct that the pieces are a set of vertices (all models are sets of vertices), but they're sets of vertices with specific textures applied to them. 

Sorry, the on-ramp pieces have been a major nuisance of mine and the only true gripe I have ever had with the awesome product that is the NAM.

It seems to be something with the game's rendering engine (an .exe issue), caused by the rather peculiar nature of the piece.  If you've seen the actual model, it's just a really steep incline.  When placed on-slope such that it's level, as the piece is intended, the game still thinks it's at an incline and renders shadows on it.  I wish I could give you a better answer, but unfortunately, it appears there's nothing that can really be done to avoid the issue.  &mmm  Glad to hear everything else is "awesome", though. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)