• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

Very nice work there, bighead99!

z

Quote from: BigSlark on April 28, 2008, 02:31:52 PM
I have a request for the next NAM. Basically, could a straight ending for the EL over Road be made? What I mean is have the elevated rail simply end with the road continuing straight beyond the support structure. Ideally this would exist immediately following a station, as though the elevated rail was intended to go further but the project was never funded. There were several historical examples of this in the US, I'm not sure if any places still exist like this on the Chicago or New York elevated systems. Basically there were just large bumpers at the end of the track and crossovers to move trains from what track to the other.

If anyone interested in this needs photos I'll be more than happy to dig some up.

Thanks for all you do!

Cheers,
Kevin
You can already do this - it just takes a little work.  Here's what you do:

Plop an el over road puzzle piece, using the Corner 1 puzzle piece.  Point the road under the track to the side where you want your station.
Plop the el over road station next to the puzzle piece.  The road pieces should now connect up.
Bulldoze the overhanging el piece.  This will also destroy the el piece adjoining the station, leaving just the truncated T piece of road.
Buldoze the last square of the road.  The curved road is now just a regular road, and you have what you want.  You can also do this without a station, again using the Corner 1 puzzle piece.

JBalls_2008_SC4

Hey, I suggested a good new nam idea over at simtropolis forums about intersections, the current nam junctions are great but i want something more creative and different in my city and i thought if it was possible is this: for example say you have a regular road t junction, instead of just lanes we could have a right turn lane (or 2) and a cut off piece of road for turning left with a ped island in the middle of the regular road and the cut off, it would have traffic lights too, obv! Also, to improve traffic congestion that can be caused by buses; a cut off small lane for buses at bus stops, which buses can use which crs cant, using the sma technology as sc4 bus lanes and traffic controller mods. thats all i have for now, soz for no pics but i lack photoshop and paint is useless so.....

(PS)Intersections - The Same Would Apply For 4 ways and could probably even be used in one way roads and especially avenues, too!
I'm Not Schizophrenic, I Just Have Loads Of Friends!

j-dub

From what I hear you asking, some of that stuff is getting worked on. The road with the island you mentioned is part of the NWM. Right turn lanes for right hand drive for multiple networks are already in the works. The term used for the right turn lane with the island in the middle is called slip lane. I noticed traffic lights do work over the slip lanes, just as you would see in real life, but wether if those are put on slip lanes if they get released in the future is beyond me. After toying around with the current NAM, it was possible for me to split a avenue up, and due a 3 tile avenue, with the middle, not being used, and potentially a oneway as a double left turn lane. However the avenue crossing the 3 tile, I'm not so sure about. What you said about buses in that situation may be difficult. Bus stops are usally another story.

allan_kuan1992

bighead99:
is there any further progress on the cul-de-sacs?

I also find the roundabout-like large street corner, present in the NAM, to have very odd-looking textures. Perhaps someone can look into redoing that texture? My redesign is below. Maybe someone can tweak it a bit before it enters the game.

- Allan Kuan

superhands

allan, in due time.
ive got a couple of batting projects going on at the moment and i have to work out the T21's so that they are working properly (so that street lights don't turn up in the middle of the culdersac).
if any one is able to help with this, it would be nice. -reader on my computer works fine, until it comes to props on network tiles.   

den52

Hi this was I have been trying to find, a highway onslope puzzle piece which is not found in the existing NAM onslope puzzle pieces. Where can I download this one. Thanks great work! Den52

j-dub

Really!? The most recent one, NAM April 2008, had onslope for highway, and diagonal onslope for highway. They appear in custom interchanges from the highway menu.

andreharv

I have now resumed work on my orthogonal x diagonal highway trumpet interchange.  Is there anyone who is in charge of modifying the intersection RUL file?

Tarkus

Quote from: andreharv on August 27, 2008, 09:20:15 PM
I have now resumed work on my orthogonal x diagonal highway trumpet interchange.  Is there anyone who is in charge of modifying the intersection RUL file?

Well, yes and no.  The structure of the NAM Team has changed a great deal since redlotus' tutorial was written in 2004.  There is no longer a "team leader", and there are actually several people now who modify the intersection RUL file (or, by "NAM slang", RUL 0x10000000).  However, by and large, those folks (including myself) are either already heavily entrenched in other large projects, or are away due to RL.

If you would like to learn more about the RUL yourself, though, I would check the NAM Inner Workings thread out.  Attached to the bottom of the thread is a Network Specs document that Tropod wrote up, which describes all the RUL files, along with other transit-related files.

-Alex (Tarkus)

andreharv

Why, thank you.  I am currently working on paths and it would be nice to do the rul myself.  I'll keep you guys posted.  If I can get this interchange done in a reasonable amount of time, I will make more.  Thanks for the quick reply. ;)

Chrisim

Quote from: andreharv on August 28, 2008, 09:58:03 AM
I am currently working on paths
I guess that you already know Daeley's SC4 Path Creator at http://www.sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=546 - saves much time when creating paths.

andreharv

No...I never heard of it.  I just downloaded it and already found a few bugs with my paths.  Thanks a million!  It's unfortunate that the program won't allow me to input all the paths at once (it crashes after I add about 15 of them).  No worries though.  This program will definitely help. :thumbsup:

Chrisim

Quote from: andreharv on August 28, 2008, 10:24:54 PM
Thanks a million! 
Yes, thanks a million to Daeley for this most useful modding tool.  :)
There are two ways how I use the tool. Either I generate new paths inside the tool by clicking (then, it never crashes) or I copy / paste paths from the Reader and click update (then, it may crash if a path is seriously wrong; e.g., when the number of coordinates or total number of paths is wrong)

Tarkus

A little side project I started on.  A Road-Avenue Long Transition piece.

The colors still need a little adjusting, but it's just about there. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

nerdly_dood

That would be much appreciated! Someone (was it Videosean?) made a different texture for the avenue/road transition, and it looks much better than the standard one, but it is still made for the too-short 2x2 transition; I'd be much appreciative of a longer one.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Ryan B.

Alex, that's something I've been looking for for a long time!

deathtopumpkins

Alex that is awesome! This will definately get some use. One suggestion though: Would it be possible to do a version with a median, to match the game avenues?
Oh and if you get to it, this could also serve as an excellent transition between the TLA-5 and road.

PS: nerdly, that was in fact videosean.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Shiftred

Tarkus, while you are visiting avenue to road transitions have you considered an avenue to one-way smooth transition?  I have found some instances recently that I need to make such a transition.  The non-continuing lane could u-turn back the opposite direction.  See my novice photoshop:

andreharv

Hey Tarkus quick question regarding RUL.  If I am making an interchange, which RULs should I modify?  I know I am going to have to do something with the Intersectionordering RUL.  Speaking of which, what are those 4 digit values for the rotationring and addtype?  I am going to put this interchange in the custom interchange menu button and I located that in the RUL but I am not sure what those 4 digit numbers are for.  Thanx.